RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16149
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Rowett to Stoke? rumour comes up again

Post by RRC on Sat 19 May 2018, 5:57 am

Sounds unlikely? You can get 7/1 if you fancy a gamble --

Derby County manager Gary Rowett has once again been linked with the Stoke City job.

The Potters were understood to be keen on Rowett in January after sacking Mark Hughes
    but the Rams boss ended up signing a new deal at Pride Park and remaining at the club.

Stoke eventually appointed Paul Lambert as Hughes' successor but he was unable to
    prevent the team being relegated from the Premier League.

Lambert parted company with Stoke by mutual consent following a meeting on Friday.

Rowett is preparing for another season in the Championship after Derby were knocked
    out of the play-offs by Fulham.

The former Burton Albion and Birmingham City chief is among the early favourites with
    the bookmakers for the vacant post at the bet365 Stadium. He is joint second favourite
    with league sponsor Sky Bet at 7/1, behind front runner David Moyes (1/2).

Derby Telegraph

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14639
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Rowett to Stoke? rumour comes up again

Post by MadAmster on Sat 19 May 2018, 8:26 am

Stoke is near enough to his home to have a certain attraction but IMO he won't want to go there. He came here to do a job and will prefer to have another one or two seasons at reaching the goal IMO.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1342
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sat 19 May 2018, 10:50 am

I would be shocked if he left
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 19 May 2018, 11:27 am

If Stoke want him they will be able to offer far more financial resources than us. If Rowett stays with us he'll be under pressure to succeed whilst slashing costs - that's a tough job. He'll be under pressure at Stoke but with about £50m more to spend.

I wouldn't be amazed if he went there, but I suspect that he'll want to hang on to see if he can bag a Premier League job. I still doubt that he'll be our manager in July.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23343
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 19 May 2018, 12:09 pm

Don’t see that he has done enough to go anywhere else.
    Also don’t believe he will walk out on this job or Derby County

outsider

Post by outsider on Sat 19 May 2018, 4:11 pm

If stoke came in for him and ask Mel can they talk to rowett ... you think Mel will say yes or no?
    Woyld Mel take the cash as rowett not been.a great success and walked a thin line latter part of season
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 20 May 2018, 7:38 am

outsider wrote:I would be shocked if he left

I wouldn't. To quote Bob Dylan, "Money doesn't talk, it swears."

Stoke would be a good fit for his talents.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 20 May 2018, 11:30 am

Personally I doubt he'd be tempted but if he goes he goes I guess. It's a decent time to be looking for a manager, there seem to be plenty knocking around at the moment.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 20 May 2018, 11:48 am

My Manure supporting Son says we should get Big Sam.....
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 20 May 2018, 12:02 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:My Manure supporting Son says we should get Big Sam.....

Lucas Jr is probably wrong IMO.
    Loughborough Ram

Number of posts : 11586
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 20 May 2018, 12:09 pm

No thanks, successful but at what cost?
    Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1184
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Sun 20 May 2018, 2:00 pm

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club.
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Sun 20 May 2018, 7:19 pm

Stoke+Hoof/boring=perfect......for Him!
    Get the Lincoln City boys in!
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1802
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 21 May 2018, 1:04 am

Good. Perfect fit Rowett and Stoke!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 21 May 2018, 7:24 am

valakari wrote:Good. Perfect fit Rowett and Stoke!

McLaren 1/10/13 - 25/5/15 Nearly got us up in 14, had us top Feb 15 and then won 1 of the last 13 games, his head having been turned by Newcastle. Sacked.

Clement 1/6/15 - 8/2/16 Boring football but winning for a while. It then went pear shaped. Boring football and poor results. Sacked.

Wassall 8/2/16 - 27/5/16 Took over as interim and got/kept us into/in the playoffs. Not the world's best but not the worst either. Wouldn't want him back as gaffer but he is doing a decent job at the Academy.

Pearson 27/5/16 - 8/10/16 Came in to much optimism. More boring football. Not good results and then we all know (or think we do anyway) what happened first on the training ground and then indoors. Sacked as there was no other option IMO.

Chris Powell Interim for 2 games.

Mac back 12/12/16 - 12/3/17 Same story, got us going and then couldn't halt the slide. Sacked.

Rowett 14/3/17 to date. Not the exciting football we want to see but steady defending with the odd counter. Got us to the playoffs. Rumours of Stoke? Sack? Leave?

A series of gaffers in and out. One of them proved disloyal and then incapable of turning things around on his return. The others gave us boring football and crap results in the end. For various reasons none of them gave us what many see as the Derby way (rightly or wrongly, good football and good results). Clement and Pearson not given the time to do the rebuild they were charged to do.

Is sacking yet another gaffer part way into a rebuild only to get another one in to start HIS rebuild the way forward. I hope not.

When GR finally went 1-3-5-2, with the exception of the semi and the 2nd half at Villa, we got back to something like decent football that gave results. I sincerely hope he continus in that vein next season, ships out some of the older players and bloods the young uns. That might mean a season in midtable but if the football is decent enough and we get decent results, maybe not promotion results but well off relegation ones, many would accept that and then we could build on that the season after.

GR should be given next season, at the very least, probably two, to get the house in order IMO.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5660
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 21 May 2018, 7:30 am

Sydney Smooth wrote:

I wouldn't want him anywhere near my club.

Neither would I, Sir Sidney.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Mon 21 May 2018, 9:07 am

MadAmster wrote:

McLaren 1/10/13 - 25/5/15  Nearly got us up in 14, had us top Feb 15 and then won 1 of the last 13 games, his head having been turned by Newcastle. Sacked.

Clement 1/6/15 - 8/2/16  Boring football but winning for a while. It then went pear shaped. Boring football and poor results. Sacked.

Wassall 8/2/16 - 27/5/16 Took over as interim and got/kept us into/in the playoffs. Not the world's best but not the worst either. Wouldn't want him back as gaffer but he is doing a decent job at the Academy.

Pearson 27/5/16 - 8/10/16 Came in to much optimism. More boring football. Not good results and then we all know (or think we do anyway) what happened first on the training ground and then indoors. Sacked as there was no other option IMO.

Mac back 12/12/16 - 12/3/17 Same story, got us going and then couldn't halt the slide. Sacked.

Rowett 14/3/17 to date. Not the exciting football we want to see but steady defending with the odd counter. Got us to the playoffs. Rumours of Stoke? Sack? Leave?

A series of gaffers in and out. One of them proved disloyal and then incapable of turning things around on his return. The others gave us boring football and crap results in the end. For various reasons none of them gave us what many see as the Derby way (rightly or wrongly, good football and good results). Clement and Pearson not given the time to do the rebuild they were charged to do.

Is sacking yet another gaffer part way into a rebuild only to get another one in to start HIS rebuild the way forward. I hope not.

When GR finally went 1-3-5-2, with the exception of the semi and the 2nd half at Villa, we got back to something like decent football that gave results. I sincerely hope he continus in that vein next season, ships out some of the older players and bloods the young uns. That might mean a season in midtable but if the football is decent enough and we get decent results, maybe not promotion results but well off relegation ones, many would accept that and then we could build on that the season after.

GR should be given next season, at the very least, probably two, to get the house in order IMO.

agree to giving Rowett another season due to the decent display at the latter part of the season but would you want him there for a 2nd if he goes back to defensive football and results after February

A lot of fans like my self had enough after the Burton game and patience had run out, but he did enough to be given 1 more season on my opinion
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 21 May 2018, 9:33 am

outsider wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

McLaren 1/10/13 - 25/5/15  Nearly got us up in 14, had us top Feb 15 and then won 1 of the last 13 games, his head having been turned by Newcastle. Sacked.

Clement 1/6/15 - 8/2/16  Boring football but winning for a while. It then went pear shaped. Boring football and poor results. Sacked.

agree to giving Rowett another season due to the decent display at the latter part of the season  but would you want him there for a 2nd if he goes back to defensive football and results after February

A lot of fans like my self had enough after the Burton game and patience had run out, but he did enough to be given 1 more season on my opinion

Not that it's in our hands of course. If he wants to go, he'll go. And why would he want to stay if the best we can do is a grudging "let him stay a bit longer"?
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3886
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 21 May 2018, 10:04 am

It would be helpful to hear MM's views on the subject of the manager. Does he want him to stay ? If I remember correctly MM said his target for last season would be a top six finish. OK, tick that box. GR seems to have met his major KPI.

Now what's the target for next season ? Hopefully, a greater emphasis on playing attacking football whilst still finishing in the top six. It would be a waste of all the work done last season if we had to start all over again with yet another new manager.

outsider

Post by outsider on Mon 21 May 2018, 10:08 am

whestonram wrote:
    outsider wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

agree to giving Rowett another season due to the decent display at the latter part of the season  but would you want him there for a 2nd if he goes back to defensive football and results after February

Not that it's in our hands of course. If he wants to go, he'll go.  And why would he want to stay if the best we can do is a grudging "let him stay a bit longer"?
    its not grudgingly , you have to say the football has not been great and results have flattered us by still making play off.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Mon 21 May 2018, 10:09 am

bramhallram wrote:It would be helpful to hear MM's views on the subject of the manager. Does he want him to stay ? If I remember correctly MM said his target for last season would be a top six finish. OK, tick that box. GR seems to have met his major KPI.

Now what's the target for next season ? Hopefully, a greater emphasis on playing attacking football whilst still finishing in the top six. It would be a waste of all the work done last season if we had to start all over again with yet another new manager.

will MM give permission for stoke to speak to Rowett, that will speak volumes

update
    https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-stoke-city-in-1590326

looks like he may be allowed to go???

Last edited by outsider on Mon 21 May 2018, 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
    whestonram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 334
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Mon 21 May 2018, 10:30 am

outsider wrote:
    whestonram wrote:
    outsider wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:

Not that it's in our hands of course. If he wants to go, he'll go.  And why would he want to stay if the best we can do is a grudging "let him stay a bit longer"?
    its not grudgingly , you have to say the football has not been great and results have flattered us by still making play off.

Think that's pretty grudging!
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2435
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Mon 21 May 2018, 11:07 am

Stoke are in talks and compensation of £2.25mill according to John Percy of the telegraph
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6382

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 21 May 2018, 11:14 am

John Percy is the 'fat lady' of DCFC journalism. It's over...at least it was quick.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 21 May 2018, 1:04 pm

If Percy turns out to be correct, the only saving grace I can think of is that GR won't be replaced by Brolly man......

On the other hand, we get a new guy in with his own ideas and preferred system, needs to ship some out that don't fit the new system, ship some in that do fit it and try to get our Academy graduates into the squad.

Just the sort of stability we need........................... NOT!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 22 Jul 2018, 5:09 pm