Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: Next Derby manager?

Post by New England Ram on Fri 25 May 2018, 8:38 pm

CornwallRam wrote:
    valakari wrote:Whoever it is, they need to do it soon! The new manager will need as much time as possible to formulate his squad...decide how he wants to play, then get out those that don't fit..and get in some that do!

Lampard won't be doing any of that. He'll be too busy working as a pundit at the World Cup.

Where he will be scouting players from the first eleven of Germany..Brazil..Argentina...and Belgium.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 26 May 2018, 9:24 am

CornwallRam wrote:Apparently Darren Wassall's odds of getting the job have plummeted over night.

I never thought I'd even think this when drunk - but happy go Darren, go Darren, go Darren. Darren Wassall's Derby Army. Party

.... as far away from the 1st team as possible.
    HKram

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2016-08-19

Post by HKram on Sat 26 May 2018, 1:12 pm

CornwallRam wrote:
    valakari wrote:Whoever it is, they need to do it soon! The new manager will need as much time as possible to formulate his squad...decide how he wants to play, then get out those that don't fit..and get in some that do!

Lampard won't be doing any of that. He'll be too busy working as a pundit at the World Cup.

@CornwallRam I know you don’t buy the continental system with a DOF in place, now with Lamposh an amateur set to be appointed (and his assistant also an academy coach), would you rather someone handling off field matters like setting up scouting dept, identifying targets, recruitment, etc?
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3950
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 26 May 2018, 1:14 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:Apparently Darren Wassall's odds of getting the job have plummeted over night.

I never thought I'd even think this when drunk - but happy go Darren, go Darren, go Darren. Darren Wassall's Derby Army. Party

.... as far away from the 1st team as possible.

Agreed. If Wassall gets the job it will be because MM has lost interest and just wants the cheapest option. I still haven't forgotten Wassall's master stroke with Thorne in that meaningless game against Ipswich.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11653
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 10:26 am

Well Lampard last night confirmed that he is "in talks" with the Rams to become our next manager.

I assume therefore that we should know by monday or tuesday, and if it drags on any longer maybe it's not going to happen
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6434

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 27 May 2018, 10:59 am

I hope so much this doesn't happen.

I just can't fathom why we would even consider a manager who has not even been a coach before.

All his contacts are at a level which will only mean expensive acquisitions. The lower leagues are so far from his orbit as to not exist. There'll be no bargains. He'll also be desperate to build his reputation, so there'll be no risks on cheap players or young players. There will be lots of advice on how to get the owner to spend money the club can't afford from his uncle.

Lampard has no interest in Derby County. He just wants a stepping stone to be manager of Chelsea. He has no motivation to look after our club. He's the polar opposite to Nigel Clough.

I genuinely fear for the future of our club. I just pray that there's a Stuart Webb out there who will save the club when we end up in League 1 with a £60m wage bill and another £60m to find for transfer fee installments.

The only bit of sense I've heard on why Mel is even considering this is that he's thinking of selling and Lampard would raise the profile of the club in China and India.
    CornwallRam

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 27 May 2018, 11:14 am

HKram wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:

@CornwallRam I know you don’t buy the continental system with a DOF in place, now with Lamposh an amateur set to be appointed (and his assistant also an academy coach), would you rather someone handling off field matters like setting up scouting dept, identifying targets, recruitment, etc?

Ah yes, the continental system of head coach and director of football. Paul Clement and Chris Evans. That wonderful system which brought us Butterfield, Johnson, Ince, Blackman, Pearce and Camara for (mainly) high fees and huge contracts. The continental system that was so wasteful we had to sell Will Hughes for peanuts to sneak inside FFP and now means we have to sell Vydra.

I've always maintained that the man who decides on the transfers should be the man the selects the team. Otherwise we sign players who he doesn't want and he has no interest in trying to bed in players who don't settle quickly. It's an inherently wasteful system. The last thing we can afford to do is waste money. There are now 8 teams in this division with between £14m and £48m in parachute payments. Two promoted teams have recent takeovers, so are likely to out gun us in the transfer market.

As a club we need to spend our cash in the most efficient way possible. If we don't, the best case scenario is another decade trying to stay in the top half of the Championship.

...although the best thing that Mel could do is to lead a campaign to get rid of the stupid FFP regulations and just ban clubs taking on external debt.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 12:13 pm

If not Lampard then who Corny?
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3950
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:40 pm

If not Lampard it's anybody's guess. If it is Lampard he's not going to have much time to focus on DCFC in the short term with all his pundit work on the World Cup.

As he, Lineker, Ferdinand and Shearer sample the delights of Russia it's hard to see him agonising over who will be DCFC's new left back

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 2:51 pm

Possibly a little unfair Bram, we don't know yet whether he will give up his punditry if he takes on a managerial position, and if not you would surely wonder why Mel didn't make it a condition of his employment.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 3:07 pm

Not even hired him and we have a Brian Clough Sam Longson scenario on our hands !!!!!!

CornwallRam

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 27 May 2018, 3:20 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:If not Lampard then who Corny?

I'd literally prefer anyone over Lampard.

So rather than listing seven billion names, I'll just go for 15 who could be available and interested...in no particular order.

Dean Smith, Sam Allardice, Nigel Clough, Paul Cook, Danny Cowley, Lee Johnson, Mick McCarthy, Paul Lambert, Kevin Phillips, Paul Simpson, Igor Stimac, Darren Wassall, Chris Powell, Mark Warburton

Although Neil Warnock would be my actual first choice if we could prize him away. We don't need flash, we don't need pretty, we don't need nice - we need grittily effective. Let's worry about good football when we've got £100m to buy it.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 3:56 pm

In my opinion the risks are as great with your 15 as they are with Lampard. Nobody can say how Lampard compares with any of them because nobody knows. As far as I can see, none of them has ever got a team promoted from the second to the top tier, maybe McCarthy or Allardyce, but honestly they aren't gping to cheer the fans up are they.

I'd also have colin W*nker but you might as well say that you'd have Guardiola as it's no less likely.
    CornwallRam

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 27 May 2018, 6:20 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:In my opinion the risks are as great with your 15 as they are with Lampard. Nobody can say how Lampard compares with any of them because nobody knows. As far as I can see, none of them has ever got a team promoted from the second to the top tier, maybe McCarthy or Allardyce, but honestly they aren't gping to cheer the fans up are they.

I'd also have colin W*nker but you might as well say that you'd have Guardiola as it's no less likely.

McCarthy, Allardyce and Lambert have been promoted from this division. The majority of the others have promotions from other divisions under their belts.

All of them have experience of things like designing training sessions, deciding whether or not to sign a player identified by scouts and making the decision as to whether to risk selecting a player carry an injury niggle. They have all achieved some success in management with the exception Kevin Phillips. He is very well regarded within the game and is an experienced coach with knowledge of the division. For that reason they are all far less risky than Lampard.

As for cheering up the fan base - fan reaction to an appointment is irrelevant. If Lampard loses his first four games the fans will be starting to turn. Bottom three in late September and 90% will be wanting him sacked. If McCarthy is appointed, wins the first four games and gets us into the top two, 90% of us will be firmly believe that we're looking at a Jim Smith situation.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 6:33 pm

You may be correct Corny but I'm struggling to understand your certainty with absolutely nothing to base that certainty on.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 27 May 2018, 10:11 pm

Two seasons ago we appointed Pearson who ticked all the boxes.
    Ended up being a massive fail and now he’s virtually unemployable it seems.
    It’s a crap shoot which ever way we go..maybe Lampards inexperience and a different fresh outlook will catch everyone by surprise .

HKram

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2016-08-19

Post by HKram on Mon 28 May 2018, 1:41 am

CornwallRam wrote:
    HKram wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:

Ah yes, the continental system of head coach and director of football. Paul Clement and Chris Evans. That wonderful system which brought us Butterfield, Johnson, Ince, Blackman, Pearce and Camara for (mainly) high fees and huge contracts. The continental system that was so wasteful we had to sell Will Hughes for peanuts to sneak inside FFP and now means we have to sell Vydra.

I've always maintained that the man who decides on the transfers should be the man the selects the team. Otherwise we sign players who he doesn't want and he has no interest in trying to bed in players who don't settle quickly. It's an inherently wasteful system. The last thing we can afford to do is waste money. There are now 8 teams in this division with between £14m and £48m in parachute payments. Two promoted teams have recent takeovers, so are likely to out gun us in the transfer market.

As a club we need to spend our cash in the most efficient way possible. If we don't, the best case scenario is another decade trying to stay in the top half of the Championship.

...although the best thing that Mel could do is to lead a campaign to get rid of the stupid FFP regulations and just ban clubs taking on external debt.

To be fair, Chris Evans was a DOF in name, only. MM did not know how to implement the continental system even when he wanted it.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1424
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 28 May 2018, 6:44 am

Have same doubts for lamps the as I have for giggs. Unproven big star with alot of side work to distract him from what should be his full time job.

Lamps could bring top youth players and experienced players in with expertise from his uncle etc. The media will be all over us and lift derby profile even more and maybe just maybe he could do what experienced managers have failed
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4932
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 28 May 2018, 9:40 am

Lampard? No experience in the managerial school of hard knocks, no experience in the pressures of that position, no experience in wheeling and dealing.

They are the negatives, the plusses? Young enough to still get out on the training ground and show the players how to perform. Fresh new ideas away from the usual suspects. A contact list that is long in his search for young talent. A knowledge of players who could come to Derby on loan and give their all.

Lampard could be a massive success or a miserable failure, at least that is the Derby way!
    old ewe

Number of posts : 665
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Mon 28 May 2018, 11:59 am

'Lampard could be a massive success or a miserable failure'

No change there then !!??

At least he would be something different and that's worth a punt.
    rayebbram1

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2014-12-02

Post by rayebbram1 on Mon 28 May 2018, 4:26 pm

Lampard is at the Coventry vs Exeter game and according to the commentator it was at the request of DCFC.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 28 May 2018, 7:30 pm

Hoping to talk loser into taking Butterfield, perhaps...
    rayebbram1

Number of posts : 27
    Registration date : 2014-12-02

Post by rayebbram1 on Mon 28 May 2018, 8:23 pm

Mitten State Ram wrote:Hoping to talk loser into taking Butterfield, perhaps...

Strange reply
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1910
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:03 pm

Maybe he is going to manage Exeter....
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1910
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 28 May 2018, 10:06 pm

I heard today we were talking with Lambert..then I got home and he is favourite for the St Mitten job! It is all getting stupid..and we surely need to appoint someone soon and get our squad for next season sorted.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 1:22 pm