RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16219
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Morris and Lampard on Derby County budget

Post by RRC on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 9:03 am

More of the same on spending and FFP --

Derby County chairman Mel Morris has backed new manager Frank Lampard to handle the blend
    of a tighter playing budget and progress on the pitch. Morris has spoken about bringing costs under
    control this summer after the club missed out on promotion to the Premier League. He said back in
    March that the spending was not sustainable for a Championship club without the benefit of parachute
    money. Stoke City, where former Rams manager Gary Rowett is now the boss, will start next season
    £43m better off than Derby due to parachute payments following relegation. And the three other clubs
    that joined Derby in the play offs- Aston Villa, Middlesbrough and Fulham -all had parachute payments.

"It's impossible to spend at the level we have year after year after year," said Morris. "FFP (Financial
    Fair Play) is very real, we take it very seriously, and we've been a big advocate of FFP. So it's time to
    bring our house in order in that regard.

"But as Frank (Lampard) said, it's also time to try to look at doing that while seeing if we can progress
    at the same time. That's why Frank, for me, was a stand-out candidate (for the job) in terms of being
    able to manage that blend - inspire the players we have but also try to freshen things up as well.

Lampard appeared unfazed by talk of finances and budgets, and said it will not be used as an excuse
    at any time. "Let’s not get too negative about it. It’s a strong budget, let’s give credit to Mel (Morris)
    and the club for what we’ve got here," he said. "It would be remiss of me to lean on that as an excuse.
    We have to work with that. The test for us is to get the balance of the squad, and the test for me and
    the staff is to show it on the pitch. That’ll be the thing which will define us."

"Every managerial appointment is a gamble," said Morris. "If it was a slam dunk, you'd be able to say
    I can guarantee you promotion, it will be easy. All sorts of things can derail a season. We've seen that
    in many, many seasons. So yes, it's always a risk."

Morris said it was something he and Lampard had discussed. "We spent a lot time discussing this. It's
    not been a short conversation, we've had many, many meetings over the last couple of weeks," Morris
    added. "As we get further into the detail of that, we've seen lots of things where we have a common
    view. "I think we also realise that there are challenges. I don't think there's any doubt that anyone's
    first time as a manager is going to have an element of risk.

"There will be new challenges for them to face but Frank's coming into this thing with a tremendous
    knowledge of the game. His personality speaks for itself, you only have to listen to his answers to your
    questions to see an example of that. He has tremendous humility, he's extremely humble, and he has
    great empathy with people. I think that's great. If you look at his track record as well as that, he will
    inspire people, and I'm convinced that will be a major factor in us going forward."

Derbyshire Live

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14761
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Morris and Lampard on Derby County budget

Post by MadAmster on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 9:29 am

Lampard is intelligent and eloquent. He is also a gamble. However, there is something about his style, what he says and how he says it that has me believing that he knows what he wants, knows how to get there and is looking to give Ramkind the season we all crave. Namely, top part of the table with football that is easy on the eye, possession based but not possession for possession's sake. Always looking to play positive, telling passes. Attacking football but not gung ho a la Stevie Mac.

From what has been said so far I am totally in the dark as to what his preferred system might be. Going on the things he has said I will take a complete gamble and guess at 1-3-5-2 OR 1-4-4-2. Both would almost certainly mean no place for Chris Martin.

The 1st choice XI? Never having been one to hide from challenges here are my thoughts on a first choice 1-3-5-2

Carson
    Wisdom Terry Davies
    Bogle new guy Hudds new guy Lowe
    Jerome Vydra
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 797
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 12:58 pm

Cardiff and Wolves didn't have those payments, but Sunderland did.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1364
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 6:41 pm

they both come in knowing they don't have millions to go on a spending spree so a lot of home grown with mix of loanees with best we have will be good in my opinion.

it will show what they have in a managing skills.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2298
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 12:43 pm

or ship out some big earners and bring in some div3/4 players with enthusiasm and skill and take a chance - I am actually getting more excited about the potential changes as the days go by - and I think the new kit is the best one for years...
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16219
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 1:50 pm

rob wrote:or ship out some big earners and bring in some div3/4 players with enthusiasm and skill and take a chance - I am actually getting more excited about the potential changes as the days go by - and I think the new kit is the best one for years...

Is it that simple?

The big earners aren't likely to go if it means a big pay cut.
    Why would other clubs want to pay the daft wages that Derby have been paying?

Until these high earners are out of contract, FFP means the club has to recoup the remaining
    part of their transfer fees, because releasing them at a loss can reduce the available budget.

Div 3/4 players with enthusiasm and skill could be beyond our current budget.
    If they're that good, plenty of clubs will be keen and there could be a bidding war.

Spending like promotion is guaranteed and there's no tomorrow wasn't a sensible policy.
    The day of reckoning has arrived - only it's likely to last a season or two and we'll do well
    to avoid punishment under FFP, which can include a transfer embargo.

Lampard and Morris will need a lot of skill and luck to get us out of this mess quickly.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6398

Post by CornwallRam on Tue 05 Jun 2018, 2:12 pm

RRC wrote:
    rob wrote:or ship out some big earners and bring in some div3/4 players with enthusiasm and skill and take a chance - I am actually getting more excited about the potential changes as the days go by - and I think the new kit is the best one for years...

Is it that simple?

The big earners aren't likely to go if it means a big pay cut.
    Why would other clubs want to pay the daft wages that Derby have been paying?

Until these high earners are out of contract, FFP means the club has to recoup the remaining
    part of their transfer fees, because releasing them at a loss can reduce the available budget.

Div 3/4 players with enthusiasm and skill could be beyond our current budget.
    If they're that good, plenty of clubs will be keen and there could be a bidding war.

Spending like promotion is guaranteed and there's no tomorrow wasn't a sensible policy.
    The day of reckoning has arrived - only it's likely to last a season or two and we'll do well
    to avoid punishment under FFP, which can include a transfer embargo.

Lampard and Morris will need a lot of skill and luck to get us out of this mess quickly.

They've amended the available punishments now. There's a panel which meets to decide the punishment before the end of the season - the FFP reports go in much earlier than before (January from memory) and include last seasons actual figures and the current season's projected ones. They can impose a transfer embargo, but also now levy a large fine, order a points reduction, impose direct relegation or disallow a promotion. They've tried to give it real teeth to stop teams doing a Bournemouth, QPR or Leicester.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2298
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:03 am

RRC - I am looking at this with a glass half full - I know we have a squad packed with overpaid shite which is going to take a while to move on - and they wont move unless they are rewarded - why should they? The policy of buying "proven" championship players hasn't worked so we should be looking lower down the pyramid - and none of us have a Scooby about the playing budget - Mel may well be managing expectations but also saying Derby are no longer the mugs we have been taken for since his arrival. I doubt Lampard would have come without any sort of room for wheeling and dealing in this squad.

I will keep my optimism for now and lets enjoy the next chapter in the rams book
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14761

Post by MadAmster on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:58 am

Are things as bad, financially, at Derby as the picture some have painted or is it more a question of we are close to the target but still have some wiggle room?

My own thoughts, based on my interpretation of what is between the lines is that we are close to FFP limits but not right up in danger. Mel's austerity measures have, I believe and hope, more to do with him nat wanting to blow more huge amounts until we reach the land of milk and honey. Then he will
    throw another £100M or so on top of the £100M+ the PL will bring. That will give us some proper spending power and bring in one or two "superstars" to delight us.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 18 Aug 2018, 4:44 pm