COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Do your bit for humanity!

    Share
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16669
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by MadAmster on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm

    I did this morning. "What did you do?", I hear you say.

    This dear old lady, well into her 70s I would guess and a 20 something young man came to the door to spread the word of God to me? How nice of them, I thought. Not had any Jehova's Witnesses at the door for a long time. I kept these 2 busy for well over an hour. Comedy of the the highest order yet somehow they didn't laugh.

    I asked them several searching questions to which they didn't have a proper answer.

    Why is it JW policy to have allegations of rape or sexual assault dealt with internally rather than taking it to the police? They said it wasn't so I quoted a couple of cases to them where that was exactly what happened recently in the Netherlands. I also told them that this policy can be found on their website. "Ah but they may go the police it isn't forbidden". No, but it is greatly discouraged and going to the police leads to banishment....... They had no answer to this.

    I pointed out a couple of pieces form Genesis that contradict each other. They told me which of contradictionns they believed..... so you don't believe the bit that contradicts your belief then? No. Sounds a bit selective to me.

    The Ark. So kangaroos hopped, swam and then hopped again all the way to Mount Sinai, got on the ark, floated around for anything between a week and a year depending on which chapter/verse (Genesis 7 and 8) you decide to adopt and then hopped, swam and hopped all the way back to Australia. The same applies to Penguins from the South Pole except they waddled and swam..... That apparently happened because they believe it did............ I also asked them what the carnivores, such as lions and tigers, ate on the ark...... The Holy Spirit will have taken care of them they said......

    Nobody is born a Muslim/Catholic/Jade etc etc etc they are all indoctrinated/brainwashed from birth. JWs are apparently not indoctrinated.....

    I brought up the multitude of Gods that the ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and many more and howthey had been proven not to exist. They agreed that it was an error of judgment back then. Why is your God any more credible than the Greek Gods etc. Well God has a basis in fact through his word in the bible..... I mentioned the contradictions again. I like making people blush. I also informed them that as recently as the end of World War 2 the Japanese believed their Royal Family to be Gods...... that turned out to be a strue as the Egyptian Gods......

    I also commented that if I was wrong, and there is a God, then he/she/it is unworthy of being honoured/praised for allowing all of the atrocities carried out in his/her/its name.

    They brought up War. I commented that there have been many, many wars fought because one group believed differently to another group. Hutu and Tutsi for instance...... both apparently honouring a false God they said

    I saved others from having to deal with them for over an hour. Civic duty done.

    I ended by saying that although I had no religious belief whatsoever, I respected their right to believe and would stand up for that right for them, however misguided that belief might be. My final sentence was "May your God go with you".

    I fully realise that there will be believers who post on here who totally disagree with my thoughts on the matter. That is their right and I support that right. There is no slight intended towards them in my thoughts and actions.

    May your God go with you.
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1424
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1482
    Age : 54
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by outsider on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

    MadAmster wrote:I did this morning. "What did you do?", I hear you say.

    This dear old lady, well into her 70s I would guess and a 20 something young man came to the door to spread the word of God to me? How nice of them, I thought. Not had any Jehova's Witnesses at the door for a long time. I kept these 2 busy for well over an hour. Comedy of the the highest order yet somehow they didn't laugh.

    I asked them several searching questions to which they didn't have a proper answer.

    Why is it JW policy to have allegations of rape or sexual assault dealt with internally rather than taking it to the police? They said it wasn't so I quoted a couple of cases to them where that was exactly what happened recently in the Netherlands. I also told them that this policy can be found on their website. "Ah but they may go the police it isn't forbidden". No, but it is greatly discouraged and going to the police leads to banishment....... They had no answer to this.

    I pointed out a couple  of pieces form Genesis that contradict each other. They told me which of contradictionns they believed..... so you don't believe the bit that contradicts your belief then? No. Sounds a bit selective to me.

    The Ark. So kangaroos hopped, swam and then hopped again all the way to Mount Sinai, got on the ark, floated around for anything between a week and a year depending on which chapter/verse (Genesis 7 and 8) you decide to adopt and then hopped, swam and hopped all the way back to Australia. The same applies to Penguins from the South Pole except they waddled and swam..... That apparently happened because they believe it did............ I also asked them what the carnivores, such as lions and tigers, ate on the ark...... The Holy Spirit will have taken care of them they said......

    Nobody is born a Muslim/Catholic/Jade etc etc etc they are all indoctrinated/brainwashed from birth. JWs are apparently not indoctrinated.....

    I brought up the multitude of Gods that the ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and many more and howthey had been proven not to exist. They agreed that it was an error of judgment back then. Why is your God any more credible than the Greek Gods etc. Well God has a basis in fact through his word in the bible.....  I mentioned the contradictions again. I like making people blush. I also informed them that as recently as the end of World War 2 the Japanese believed their Royal Family to be Gods...... that turned out to be a strue as the Egyptian Gods......

    I also commented that if I was wrong, and there is a God, then he/she/it is unworthy of being honoured/praised for allowing all of the atrocities carried out in his/her/its name.

    They brought up War. I commented that there have been many, many wars fought because one group believed differently to another group. Hutu and Tutsi for instance...... both apparently honouring a false God they said

    I saved others from having to deal with them for over an hour. Civic duty done.

    I ended by saying that although I had no religious belief whatsoever, I respected their right to believe and would stand up for that right for them, however misguided that belief might be. My final sentence was "May your God go with you".

    I fully realise that there will be believers who post on here who totally disagree with my thoughts on the matter. That is their right and I support that right. There is no slight intended towards them in my thoughts and actions.

    May your God go with you.

    religion has been the biggest cause for wars next to oil these days. I don't care what make-believe god you believe in, but don't force it on others.
    avatar
    rob

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2318
    Registration date : 2011-06-07
    Points : 2446
    Age : 49
    Location : Barleythorpe

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by rob on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 4:06 pm

    amen to that (see what I did there)
    avatar
    asotrsott

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05
    Points : 467
    Age : 47
    Location : Derby

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by asotrsott on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:12 pm

    Blimey! Take a breath saint???
    avatar
    Jackal

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 845
    Registration date : 2014-09-08
    Points : 937
    Age : 36
    Location : Worksop

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by Jackal on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:35 pm

    My imaginary friend is better than your's  
    Wink
    avatar
    outsider

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1424
    Registration date : 2014-07-30
    Points : 1482
    Age : 54
    Location : Naas, Rep of Ireland

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by outsider on Wed 06 Jun 2018, 9:11 pm

    Jackal wrote:My imaginary friend is better than your's  
    Wink

    Clapping
    LOL roll LOL roll
    avatar
    DavesaRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 979
    Registration date : 2011-10-15
    Points : 1117
    Age : 61
    Location : Allestree

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by DavesaRam on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 6:53 pm

    As you may remember, Ammy, I am a Christian and it would seem that the JWs didn't have much of an idea about what they actually believe. There are answers to the issues you threw at them, but they would be lengthy and involved, but it would result in an intellectual argumentation, which doesn't interest me in the slightest - you too, I presume! It is also clear from your post that you are pretty much convinced that there is no God, and that religion is the cause of much trouble (I agree with that last point!), which is your right, and I support your freedom to have that viewpoint, as you do for people of faith like myself. While you have this position any discussion would be fruitless, unless you are open to the possibility that there may be a God. So as things stand, respect to you, my friend, especially for the thrashing you gave the JWs. Oh, and on the other important issue, Come On You Rams!
    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1910
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 2024
    Age : 51
    Location : Derby

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by valakari on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 9:25 pm

    Very entertaining mad. I am with you...religion is an excuse people hide behind when they have wars, commit terrorist atrocities and want some money for the church roof!..The latter, in many muder mysteries, turns out to be the motive..
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16669
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by MadAmster on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 10:19 pm

    DavesaRam wrote:As you may remember, Ammy, I am a Christian and it would seem that the JWs didn't have much of an idea about what they actually believe. There are answers to the issues you threw at them, but they would be lengthy and involved, but it would result in an intellectual argumentation, which doesn't interest me in the slightest - you too, I presume! It is also clear from your post that you are pretty much convinced that there is no God, and that religion is the cause of much trouble (I agree with that last point!), which is your right, and I support your freedom to have that viewpoint, as you do for people of faith like myself. While you have this position any discussion would be fruitless, unless you are open to the possibility that there may be a God. So as things stand, respect to you, my friend, especially for the thrashing you gave the JWs. Oh, and on the other important issue, Come On You Rams!

    Thanks Dave. As I said in my original piece, I have a plan in place should I be wrong about the existence of a deity.

    Quote.... I also commented that if I was wrong, and there is a God, then he/she/it is unworthy of being honoured/praised for allowing all of the atrocities carried out in his/her/its name...... unquote

    May your God go with you Dave Thumbs up
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5766
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 6371
    Age : 53
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 10:55 am

    I believe in God.

    He was born on March 21st 1935.
    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4932
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6651
    Age : 70
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by SawleyRam on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 1:35 pm

    Stockport Ram wrote:I believe in God.

    He was born on March 21st 1935.

    The subject is about J.C. not B.C. Stockie but I can understand the comparison! Instead of Amen at the end of a prayer we can always end "I'm not the the best manager, but I'm in the top one!"
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16669
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by MadAmster on Sat 16 Jun 2018, 1:58 pm

    SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:I believe in God.

    He was born on March 21st 1935.

    The subject is about J.C. not B.C. Stockie but I can understand the comparison! Instead of Amen at the end of a prayer we can always end "I'm not the the best manager, but I'm in the top one!"

    ... or, during training at Raynesway...... "yer a bloody disgrace!"

    Sponsored content

    Re: Do your bit for humanity!

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:22 pm