World Cup Watch

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4972
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

World Cup Watch

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 1:00 am

I have seen every match so far (to the Brazil vs Swiss match) and one main thing has struck me, the refereeing has not been perfect but a lot better than any other World Cup finals I have ever seen, including 1966.

Does V.A.R. scare the players  that much that their histrionics are reduced to a limited number of teams and mainly ignored by the referee because of the backing that this assistance gives them?

Besides the obvious player (as yet) of the tournament for Portugal I offer a bloody Stoke player as an alternative in Xherdan Shaqiri who helped the Swiss to an improbable 1-1 draw against Brazil with a effective counter attacking game.

All good so far, let's hope the rest of the tournament matches what has preceded.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: World Cup Watch

Post by valakari on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 1:21 am

The refereeing is much better than i have seen for a long time..no English refs! Coincidence??
    Shaquiri did bugger all...not on the same planet as the Spanish and Portuguese players..that could have been the final imo
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 6:34 am

Been a good tournament so far. All games entertain and Mexico biggest shock so far. Kept up the tempo on break and very organised be hind the ball.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 8:54 am

I was in an online conversation yesterday about an offside incident. My fellow conversationalist started by saying he wanted VAR ditching as he simply doesn't like it. He couldn't put "why" into words, he just doesn't like it.

I pointed out a play in one of the games where an overhead kick was saved by the keeper. The ref's assistant also flagged for offside and the offside was given. The attacker was actually a yard and a half ONSIDE. I said, so, you are against, had the shot gone in, the mistake being corrected and a team being robbed of a genuine goal?

The answer surprised me somewhat. He said VAR could not have been used if the ball had gone in. WT actual F??

Both the refs and VAR have been good in this tournament. Best tournament refs in a while although not perfect. VAR had performed well up to the Brazil game. The Swiss goal should have been disallowed and Brazil should have had a penalty. Was VAR not used or did the VAR refs get those wrong?

VAR is new and there will be teething problems but, all in all, I am glad that it is in use and should be used in more match situations IMO.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 9:21 am

I think it was Brazil game didn't the ref go to video had a another look on the monitor I thought that was quick simple and away they went... But I suppose if ref was off ever tackle that could be a pain
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:41 am

valakari wrote:The refereeing is much better than i have seen for a long time..no English refs! Coincidence??
    Shaquiri did bugger all...not on the same planet as the Spanish and Portuguese players..that could have been the final imo

I did mention that a certain Portuguese player was player of the tournament so far, quote "Besides the obvious player (as yet) of the tournament for Portugal" unquote, I was merely looking for an alternative.
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 11:47 am

I've not heard any player complaining about the quality or roundness of the ball for this tournament either. We've seen some brilliant free kicks and goals from outside the box already, so it must be a decent ball they're using this time.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2333
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 12:26 pm

should costa's goal have stood - major wrestle with the defender....
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm

rob wrote:should costa's goal have stood - major wrestle with the defender....

IMO no. He hit the defender's neck with his arm and it was a foul that wasn't given. The defender then went on to make a meal of it and soon realised the ref hadn't been commed so he got up............ I would have given him (the defender) yellow.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 18 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm

Well there I go bigging up the refereeing, a penalty given for naive defending (show me where it's even a foul in the rules), two stonewall penalties and not a twitch from the VAR office, persistent fouling by the Tunisian side and Walker is the only one yellow carded.

Tunisian MOTM? The referee.

We won, but against all odds, I blame Putin.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 8:42 am

SawleyRam wrote:Well there I go bigging up the refereeing, a penalty given for naive defending (show me where it's even a foul in the rules), two stonewall penalties and not a twitch from the VAR office, persistent fouling by the Tunisian side and Walker is the only one yellow carded.

I just knew we could blame you Sawls... LOL

Their penalty? Tes, it was naive defending. The sort a full back would do out wide and there lies the problem. Walker was playing centre half!! He decided to shield the ball and turn and take the ball out wide. In his turning through getting on 180 degrees, his left arm moved upwards and sideways from his body. The problem is it moved backwards far more than necessary for that "play". He has put his arm I would guess 40 to 50 degrees backwards of 90. The arm mid there to be run in to....... their player did.... or did he? Did Walker send his arm too far back in order to block the player or did he simply have it there and the Tunisian ran into it?

My own perception was that, had he really been, as he himself said he was, putting his arm there to block the player from getting at the ball then it was 40 odd degrees too far backwards. If he intentionally let his arm go that far backwards then he can have no complaints. If it was accidental then he was naive. Admittedly, the penalty would hardly ever be given in any English League but all of the players need to realise that this isn't the English League and a lot of what we consider "normal" is considered an offence in many other countries.

To cut a long story short, he should not have given the lad the opportunity to make contact and fall over. I hope, and believe, that he, and his fellow defenders, have learned an awful lot from that incident.

The 2 Kane "penalties"? Both absolutely 100% nailed on certainties of penalties. IMO. I would love to hear the ref or the VAR panel or both explain exactly how they weren't penalties.

The ref was very poor last night and our players might have been excused if his "performance" had rattled them or riled them to the point of doing something stupid. They kept their cool. When you consider that it is a young side at this level they have to be commended for it.

It appears the "lesser" sides have decided that the more you slow/stop play by ensuring that free kicks, corners and throw ins all take about 3 minutes, the less time there is for the "better" team to score. The constant holding in the box so the ref talks to you, he moves away so you do it again, he comes back and talks to you again........... ad infinitum. Follow the rules ref. 1st time tell them to stop, 2nd time book them.

Standing 1 foot away from the ball....... Law 13 says "If a player decides to take a free kick quickly and an opponent who is near the ball deliberately prevents him from taking the kick, the referee shall caution the player for delaying the restart of play". How many Tuisians should have been booked for this offence last night?

Poor,poor ref last night. I hope we don't see more instances of this poor standard as the tournament progresses.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 7:51 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:Well there I go bigging up the refereeing, a penalty given for naive defending (show me where it's even a foul in the rules), two stonewall penalties and not a twitch from the VAR office, persistent fouling by the Tunisian side and Walker is the only one yellow carded.

I just knew we could blame you Sawls... LOL

Their penalty? Tes, it was naive defending. The sort a full back would do out wide and there lies the problem. Walker was playing centre half!! He decided to shield the ball and turn and take the ball out wide. In his turning through getting on 180 degrees, his left arm moved upwards and sideways from his body. The problem is it moved backwards far more than necessary for that "play". He has put  his arm I would guess 40 to 50 degrees backwards of 90. The arm mid there to be run in to....... their player did.... or did he? Did Walker send his arm too far back in order to block the player or did he simply have it there and the Tunisian ran into it?

My own perception was that, had he really been, as he himself said he was, putting his arm there to block the player from getting at the ball then it was 40 odd degrees too far backwards. If he intentionally let his arm go that far backwards then he can have no complaints. If it was accidental then he was naive. Admittedly, the penalty would hardly ever be given in any English League but all of the players need to realise that this isn't the English League and a lot of what we consider "normal" is considered an offence in many other countries.

To cut a long story short, he should not have given the lad the opportunity to make contact and fall over. I hope, and believe, that he, and his fellow defenders, have learned an awful lot from that incident.

The 2 Kane "penalties"? Both absolutely 100% nailed on certainties of penalties. IMO. I would love to hear the ref or the VAR panel or both explain exactly how they weren't penalties.

The ref was very poor last night and our players might have been excused if his "performance" had rattled them or riled them to the point of doing something stupid. They kept their cool. When you consider that it is a young side at this level they have to be commended for it.

It appears the "lesser" sides have decided that the more you slow/stop play by ensuring that free kicks, corners and throw ins all take about 3 minutes, the less time there is for the "better" team to score. The constant holding in the box so the ref talks to you, he moves away so you do it again, he comes back and talks to you again........... ad infinitum. Follow the rules ref. 1st time tell them to stop, 2nd time book them.

Standing 1 foot away from the ball....... Law 13 says "If a player decides to take a free kick quickly and an opponent who is near the ball deliberately prevents him from taking the kick, the referee shall caution the player for delaying the restart of play". How many Tuisians should have been booked for this offence last night?

Poor,poor ref last night. I hope we don't see more instances of this poor standard as the tournament progresses.

..... and I thought it was just me who bitched about referees!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 9:48 pm

Some thoughts from today's matches....

1. Japan's 2nd. If Columbia had assigned someone to stand by the far post the ball would not have gone in. Why oh why don't teams have the posts manned? Schoolboy stuff IMO.

2. Fathi's own goal for Russia's first goal today....... if the dumbass hadn't had hold of Dzyuba's shirt, he wouldn't have had to stretch to get to the ball and it wouldn't have deflected in off his knee. Karma is a bitch innit Fathi?

3. So many eejit defenders still holding shirts and getting away with it. Refs have been told to clamp down on the holding and wrestling in the box. So far they haven't. Let's have one game where the ref gives a dozen penalties. One where it won't make too much difference to a group. Let's say Egypt v Saudi when they meet in 6 days or so. The tell everybody that ALL refs will similarly clamp down. It will stop. More to the point, it's against the Laws so refs shouldn't need telling to enforce it, they should simply do so......... is it really so hard for what are supposed to be the best refs in the world to enforce the Laws of the game? It appears that it is.

Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 6:45 am

MadAmster wrote:Some thoughts from today's matches....

1. Japan's 2nd. If Columbia had assigned someone to stand by the far post the ball would not have gone in. Why oh why don't teams have the posts manned? Schoolboy stuff IMO.

2. Fathi's own goal for Russia's first goal today....... if the dumbass hadn't had hold of Dzyuba's shirt, he wouldn't have had to stretch to get to the ball and it wouldn't have deflected in off his knee. Karma is a bitch innit Fathi?

3. So many eejit defenders still holding shirts and getting away with it. Refs have been told to clamp down on the holding and wrestling in the box. So far they haven't. Let's have one game where the ref gives a dozen penalties. One where it won't make too much difference to a group. Let's say Egypt v Saudi when they meet in 6 days or so. The tell everybody that ALL refs will similarly clamp down. It will stop. More to the point, it's against the Laws so refs shouldn't need telling to enforce it, they should simply do so......... is it really so hard for what are supposed to be the best refs in the world to enforce the Laws of the game? It appears that it is.

The all in wrestling, particularly at corners, prompted a lengthy discussion with Paul  during the egg wiped/Ruski game yesterday. (Paul is my Manure fan Son,  for the uninitiated).

The modern youngster says that VAR has, and will improve the game's decision making immensely.  My problem with this is two fold.

Football is a game of opinion.  VAR is supposed to correct "clear and obvious" errors.  Kane's two bouts of "three falls or a submission" with Tunisia defenders on Monday were about as blatant "clear and obvious errors" as you can get by a referee. What happens?  Human beings make decisions on VAR,  so are still prone to errors.

There are some offside decisions which are so tight that the overblown world of TV pundits still cannot decide whether they are offside or not,  even after watching VAR from 164 different angles with accomanying dramatic music.

My point is this:  VAR will improve the number of correct decision, of that there is no doubt - but my personal proviso for VAR is to ELIMINATE errors as a "cost" of removing the intrinsic beauty of human decision making,  or not at all.

Either remove human refereeing error on key decisions or let him ref - that, for me, is still an intrinsic part of the beauty of the game we all love.

I don't see the difference in a man on the pitch making a mistake or a group of folk sat (ridiculously in referee's kit) in an air conditioned studio a thousand miles away compounding it,  so why have them?

We will never stop talking about aa Azerbaijani (not Russian) linesman, or Lampard's "goal" V Germany - imagine our children being robbed of such talking points?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 8:02 am

Stockport Ram wrote:

Football is a game of opinion.  VAR is supposed to correct "clear and obvious" errors.  Kane's two bouts of "three falls or a submission" with Tunisia defenders on Monday were about as blatant "clear and obvious errors" as you can get by a referee. What happens?  Human beings make decisions on VAR,  so are still prone to errors.

All we were missing was the velvet tone of Kent Walton's voice doing the commentary............. Wink

FIFA came out with their reasoning last night. I had already said that the first could be put down to Stones pushing a Tunisian defender in the back about half a second prior to Kane being on the wrong end of a body slam. That was FIFA's explanation too.

For the second one it seems that Kane also had hold of the defender so it was a case of 6 and 2 threes...... I haven't seen that 2nd incident again since the FIFA explanation but I can't remember seeing Kane holding on.

As I said earlier, Karma on Fathi for holding on and thereby causing the own goal to put Russia 1 up yesterday.

FIFA have instructed refs to stamp doan on holding in the area. They are doing anything but. The upcoming and meaningless (for the tournament) game between Egypt and Saudi would be the perfect place for refs to take a stand. Go into the dressing rooms beforehand and say you will penalise each and every bit of holding and shirt pulling they see. That will lead to a dozen or more penalties in the game and a few red cards but it will make a point, draw a line in the sand. Players and Managers won't take it seriously until they actually feel a problem and, right now, they don't.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

All we were missing was the velvet tone of Kent Walton's voice doing the commentary............. Wink

FIFA came out with their reasoning last night. I had already said that the first could be put down to Stones pushing a Tunisian defender in the back about half a second prior to Kane being on the wrong end of a body slam. That was FIFA's explanation too.

For the second one it seems that Kane also had hold of the defender so it was a case of 6 and 2 threes...... I haven't seen that 2nd incident again since the FIFA explanation but I can't remember seeing Kane holding on.

As I said earlier, Karma on Fathi for holding on and thereby causing the own goal to put Russia 1 up yesterday.

FIFA have instructed refs to stamp doan on holding in the area. They are doing anything but. The upcoming and meaningless (for the tournament) game between Egypt and Saudi would be the perfect place for refs to take a stand. Go into the dressing rooms beforehand and say you will penalise  each and every bit of holding and shirt pulling they see. That will lead to a dozen or more penalties in the game and a few red cards but it will make a point, draw a line in the sand. Players and Managers won't take it seriously until they actually feel a problem and, right now, they don't.

Egypt and Saudi Arabia....drawing a line in the sand ?

I can't let you get away with that. Wink
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 4:50 am

VAR. I listened to some Dutch "analysts" last night on TV discussing VAR. They were generally in favour. They had their criticisms but were of the opinion that VAR is already responsible for eliminating the really vicious challenges we often see......
    outsider

Post by outsider on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 6:41 am

Why does it take 4 or 5 refs to watch the replays on tv ?

And why are they wearing full kits?
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2333
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 8:45 am

outsider wrote:Why does it take 4 or 5 refs to watch the replays on tv ?

And why are they wearing full kits?

VAR organised by John Terry celebration
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 9:56 am

rob wrote:
    1. Why does it take 4 or 5 refs to watch the replays on tv ?

2. And why are they wearing full kits?

1. That team -- made up of one lead video official and three assistants, 4 in total -- has access to all 33 of the broadcast cameras inside the stadium, of which 12 are slow-motion.
    They also have two additional cameras dedicated to monitoring possible offsides, featuring computer-generated lines projected onto the field of play. For the knockout phase, an additional ultra slow-motion camera will be installed behind each goal.
    I think that explains why there are 4 of them. It speeds up spotting any possible offence.

2. Probably because they are deemed to be just a smuch match officials as the ref, his 2 assistants and the 4th official. Match officials are supposed to all wear the same attire. Having said that..... the 4th official often wears a tracksuit or rain jacket in inclement weather. Furthermore, in one of the World Cup games, the 2 assistants AND the VAR squad all wore yellow shirts........... as did one of the 2 teams, The ref wore green.......

..... ho hum, yet another rule they aren't enforcing Wink
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 10:42 am

And we still didnt get a penalty!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 1:43 pm

valakari wrote:And we still didnt get a penalty!

I can understand why we didn't get the first one Val. A split second before the body slam on Kane, young Master Stones gave a 2 handed push in the back of one of their defenders. As that was the first foul, the all in wrestling move didn't count and the ref and VAR ref decided to let play continue.

The 2nd one? They SAY that Kane was also holding on to the lad who brought him down and that is why that one wasn't given.... a case of 6 a 2 threes they say.... I have not seen Kane holding on but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't.....
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

One of the problems is that referees know laws, but don't know football generally. To say the Stones push means that they couldn't give the penalty is ridiculous. The Stones one had no relevance to the play, the lad blocked his run and stones gave him a petulant shove when it was clear that neither of them were involved in the play.

In both incidents with Kane the defender, without looking at the ball threw him to the ground, any talk of Kane holding is just an excuse or a crass understanding of life. If somebody tries to push, it's natural to push back or avoid the grasp of the person who is trying to man handle you, try it at home if you disagree. In both incidents one person was trying to gain an unfair advantage and the other is trying to escape 'capture'.

If these were genuine reasons not to give those decisions then we should strip referees of the responsibilty for VAR and put ex players in charge as they would have a much clearer picture of what is an offence and what isn't.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 21 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

The Stones push was an offence, is an offence and shall remain so until the Laws are changed. Anything after that is irrelevant.

The body slam was wrong but the biggest problem is that neither the ref nor VAR gave the push. Do Stones for the foul and the Kane incident is irrelevant.

I can live with not getting that one.

2nd one? I still think it was a penalty. They claim both players were holding. All I can find is stills which don't show anything implicating Kane. I would love to see a video of it so I can confirm that I was right and the ref/VAR wrong..... not that will change a thing.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:58 am

The difference is in the detail.

If Stones committed a foul, was it a clear and obvious error by the ref? How far back do we go?

Would a minor off the ball incident outside the box detract from an obvious foul missed by the ref inside it? There would be uproar if that happened.

VAR officials are making excuses IMHO.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:15 am