World Cup Watch

bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3958
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Re: World Cup Watch

Post by bramhallram on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 2:46 pm

What we saw from Columbia last night was all too predictable. South American teams have been getting away with it for years. I recall a player called Antonio Rattin doing this stuff back in 1966, and his incredulity when the ref sent him off was a sight to behold.

It's time modern day refs did football a favour and copied that 1966 ref's example. There were times last night when I thought the 2018 version came close to losing control, with half the Columbia team getting in his face after every English challenge.

Start sending some of them off and they'd soon get the message.

rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2333
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

don't know what game you saw - according to the Colombian coach it was all Englands fault

I think he was sampling too much of his countries speciality export if he really thinks that is the case (and I don't mean he was spiked up on coffee)
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:01 pm

Very accomplished, controlled performance today by England. There were some top notch performances and the good thing for me is that despite reaching the semi final, there still appears to be another few percent improvement to come.

It'll be a step up in quality on Wednesday but nothing to be scared of in my opinion.

Come on Engerlaaand

England England England England England England England
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 6:27 pm

We are beginning to look a lot like Germany.......
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 11:18 pm

A deserved win thought sweden was poor england domanated. semi v croatia I can see England v Belgium final
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23428
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 11:50 pm

It’s all so very hard to take in.

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 8:30 am

At the start of the tournament I was convinced that we would not get past the 1/4s. We are now, deservedly, in the semis. From a football perspective I thought we would be better off facing Russia than Croatia.

It is Croatia that stand between England and the Final. An unthinkable scenario a mere 3 or so weeks ago.

Whatever happens now, it has been a good tournament for England. Gareth Southgate has taken a relatively young group of players and turned them into a very good side. The players are disciplined, skilful in their various roles and have a kind of togetherness that all successful teams have. We are, for a change, growing into a tournament.

The lads weathere d a huge storm against Colombia, make no doubt about that. They are not a bad footballing side and they are very well versed in the dark arts of the game as well. Apart from 1 or 2 small reactions, they didn't let the Colombians get to them. The most remarkable one being Henderson. He is a fiery character and when their player brought his head up form Hendo's chest to Hendo's chin, I was waiting for the red card crunching retribution in the following minutes. A retribution that would not have been necessary had the ref done his job and sent the lad off. In the end, Hendo kept his cool and stuck to instructions and game plan. The whole team showed great maturity in the face of extreme provocation.

Next came Sweden. So often, a nemesis for England teams in the past. We beat them well. A lot of decent performances. Pickford was awesome.

Croatia? It won't be a walk in the park, not by a long chalk but we are well capable of extending our tournament to the very end. I also think that we will.

outsider

Post by outsider on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:34 am

England gave not been outstanding thro the tournament but late goal .. a penalty shoot out ... God forbid it .. it could be coming home... we won't here about 66 if it does it be about 2018  for the next 50 years  Bang head Bang head
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:03 am

outsider wrote:England gave not been outstanding thro the tournament but late goal .. a penalty shoot out ... God forbid it .. it could be coming home... we won't here about 66 if it does it be about 2018  for the next 50 years  Bang head Bang head

Still think your fears will not play out mate..
    But never a need to be outstanding just need to score one more than you

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4972
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 3:56 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:We are beginning to look a lot like Germany.......

No we're not Stockers, we're still in the competition! :faint:
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 6:25 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:We are beginning to look a lot like Germany.......

No we're not Stockers, we're still in the competition! :faint:

Thumbs up
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 9:13 pm

I think we were well in control on Saturday, with the only thing stopping us being in total control being that we keep on picking Sterling. He looks good on the ball, and gets into some useful, even threatening positions, but his end product has been virtually nothing. He should have had one, possibly two goals yesterday, but blew them both. All this with Rashford sitting on the bench.

On that basis, if Casey Palmer is English, then he has a promising England career ahead of him!

Having watched the Russia/Croatia match, although Croatia will give us a good game, there is nothing to be scared of. The final beckons, and the amazing thing is that despite "football's coming home" being sung all over the place, it seems we are holding all this very lightly, determined to enjoy the ride but with no pressure of expectation.

What a great place to be in.

COYL !!!!!!
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm

DavesaRam wrote:I think we were well in control on Saturday, with the only thing stopping us being in total control being that we keep on picking Sterling. He looks good on the ball, and gets into some useful, even threatening positions, but his end product has been virtually nothing. He should have had one, possibly two goals yesterday, but blew them both. All this with Rashford sitting on the bench.

On that basis, if Casey Palmer is English, then he has a promising England career ahead of him!

Having watched the Russia/Croatia match, although Croatia will give us a good game, there is nothing to be scared of. The final beckons, and the amazing thing is that despite "football's coming home" being sung all over the place, it seems we are holding all this very lightly, determined to enjoy the ride but with no pressure of expectation.

What a great place to be in.

COYL !!!!!!

Why try to mend something that's not broke?
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 7:04 am

I too have reservations about Sterling, but as my old Dad would have said "Son, its not always the best eleven players that win you football matches, its the best team."

For the first time since Italia 90 we have a blend. A proper unit - everyone knows their job and has complete faith in each other and more inmportantly the manager.

Sterling stretches opposition defences, prevents them from having a high line, and basically buys us 15-20 yards, so when we are out of possession the other team have to start playing through us from deeper. His runs also buy the defence a much needed mental (as well as physical) break. Its part of the overall strategy where we try to play football in the right areas.

I agree he's about as prolific as Deon Burton (was it on here that someone said Deon couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo?), but what he does and how he does it is integral to the team identity.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 7:55 am

All good observations and a lot is being made of the work he does off the ball which of course is valid.
    I would still say there should still be more of a contribution in the goal department and he needs to improve his ability to miss out the first man one he gets out wide with a chance to get the ball in...but deffo do not change that team.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 8:35 am

Raheem "Marmite" Sterling, a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is English team interest.

You either love him or you hate him. Me? I merely wonder at the great things he does without thinking and the things that go wrong when given time to think...... a bit like our former player Theo.

The fan in me says we'd be better off with Rashford in, in place of him, but would we? Rashford is, IMO, the better and more reliable player. However, he doesn't play the role that Raheem does. Southgate has, for some reason, decided that he wants to play a certain way and that the #10 role in his preferred system is better filled by Sterling than by Rashford or Vardy or anybody else. The coach in me says "In Southgate we trust".

I don't quite understand why but....... the best #10 for this current England setup is Marmite.

Winning the Cup will see all criticism disappear. Losing it will see Raheem be the scapegoat. That would, IMO, be so immensely wrong. Gareth Southgate has put him in his first choice XI do do a specific job. GS believes he is doing what is asked of him. In that case GS is not going to drop him and he is absolutely right.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 9:36 am

MadAmster wrote:Raheem "Marmite" Sterling, a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is English team interest.

You either love him or you hate him. Me? I merely wonder at the great things he does without thinking and the things that go wrong when given time to think...... a bit like our former player Theo.

The fan in me says we'd be better off with Rashford in, in place of him, but would we? Rashford is, IMO, the better and more reliable player. However, he doesn't play the role that Raheem does. Southgate has, for some reason, decided that he wants to play a certain way and that the #10 role in his preferred system is better filled by Sterling than by Rashford or Vardy or anybody else. The coach in me says "In Southgate we trust".

I don't quite understand why but....... the best #10 for this current England setup is Marmite.

Winning the Cup will see all criticism disappear. Losing it will see Raheem be the scapegoat. That would, IMO, be so immensely wrong. Gareth Southgate has put him in his first choice XI do do a specific job. GS believes he is doing what is asked of him. In that case GS is not going to drop him and he is absolutely right.

100% agree but just to add that this England team has even now exceeded all that was expected of them in this World Cup and I hope that they go on to greater things. Credit to Southgate in the way he has moulded a team with tactics they seem to understand and know how to execute.

DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 10:38 am

MadAmster wrote:Raheem "Marmite" Sterling, a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key. That key is English team interest.

Well put, Ammy! It has put me right, and made me think of how much we missed Johnny Russell when he was no longer around to hld the ball up, wander around the middle of the park with the ball until other players were in place. Until then all we thought about was his frustrating lack of end product, so I stand corrected. Go for it, Raheem!

COYL!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 11:50 am

SawleyRam wrote:

100% agree but just to add that this England team has even now exceeded all that was expected of them in this World Cup and I hope that they go on to greater things. Credit to Southgate in the way he has moulded a team with tactics they seem to understand and know how to execute.

I fully expected us to go out in the 1/4 finals and would have been disappointed had we not got that far. Ecstatic now we have got past that into the semis.

Croatia no easy passage and their own volatility may well be their downfall, especially as the England players don't seem to be reacting badly to provocation so far.

England 2-1.

After that, who cares. I didn't think we'd be anywhere near a Final for another 4 to 8 years once the new waves of young uns have hit the squad with all their World and European titles already in the bag. They know how to do it. Just maybe this senior squad does too........
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 10:33 pm

Dreams are over for this Final but dare we dream on? The team are young enough to move on for the Euros and with the wealth of experience they have gained in Russia who knows what can be achieved. Well done to the youngest England team to play in any World Cup Finals and well done Gareth Southgate. Lets hope the FA want another four years out of him. (At least)
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 11:01 pm

Should have twisted the knife first half and been out of sight .
    They adjusted second half and we didn’t adjust enough.
    England haters will be out in force to gloat .
    Fu** them...was an interesting World Cup for England for once.
    Pressure will be back on the Rams now to produce a signing or two.

Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 2:44 am

Proud.

Finally, for the first time in my 52 years, we stood up and tried to win.
    outsider

Post by outsider on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 6:46 am

Needed a second goal in the first half when they dominated but second half they sat back and seem to tire quickly. 

Kane was poor and hardly in the game.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:35 am

First half we bossed them. Their setup suited ours and we took advantage and played the better football. Unfortunately, we failed to turn better football into more than 1 goal.

First half the ref was not taken in by most of the Croatian "funny stuff". Nowhere near as much of it as you get from the South Americans but Lovern and a couple of others were naughty to say the least.

Second half they changed shape slightly and it was our turn not to be able to cope with them. The ref was very lenient on their "funny stuff" and that helped them. They started the half knowing they had to take the game to us and they did. After the first goal they also had confidence in what they were doing.

In extra time, we weren't really in it after the first 10 minutes. They were stronger, both physically and mentally.

Over the 120 minutes I have absoluely no complaints about which side deserved to go through and did so.

It might have been very different had the ref done a better job. He gave 23 fouls against them, 14 against us. He might have given them double and us half a dozen more. He booked Walker for keeping hold of the ball and preventing a quick restart. After that, Lovren (a mere 2 minutes later) did the same and 2 other Croats repeated the offence later in the game. None of them got booked. He was most definitely not anti England in the first half but he looked pro Croat after that. They got a couple of free kicks from dives he fell for. We had several bad tackles on us that he waved away.

What we are missing to make this team really tick is a player with that killer pass. A Messi, a Modric. That type of player. We didin't have one in the squad.

Looking forwards, we have the basis of a very good squad here. There will be a few coming on in the next couple of seasons from the U17s to U21s who have made finals and actually won tournaments. Add that "how to win a tournament" experience to the squad and find that killer pass merchant and we are there. Sounds simple but is not as easy as it seems. The gaffer has to keep on picking the best available rather than being faithful to certain players, which has been the downfall of England managers in the past. Clubs have to give these youngsters the chance to develop, week in and week out in the PL.

Lastly a few words on the rookie manager, his staff and the youngest ever England squad at a major Championship...... You have all done us proud. Almost nobody expected you to reach the Semi Final yet you did. You have done yourselves proud and I thank you for giving the country some belief in the national football team again.

The Cup might not have but the pride has certainly come back home.
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2333
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 8:45 am

Southgate made me watch ing-er-land again - dignified to the last and although loyal to his first 11 at least he is picking players for a structure rather than to sell shirts

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 3:59 am