a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

World Cup Watch

MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14938
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: World Cup Watch

Post by MadAmster on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:03 am

rob wrote:Southgate made me watch ing-er-land again - dignified to the last and although loyal to his first 11 at least he is picking players for a structure rather than to sell shirts

A lot of fans will have their own ideas about certain players. In the front line you will find Young and Sterling. Both kept their places because they did what GS asked of them.

We are now, what, 2 months away from the start of the qualifying groups for Euro 2020. I hope to see change. Not wholesale but change. Rose should be properly fit and in ahead of Young.

It will be interesting to see how bad the injuries Walker (oh so reliable) and Trippier (what a great tournament he had) are.

Will Maguire still be at the Foxes in 3 weeks time?

In the next 2 weeks we will see the PL squads taking shape. That will lead to clubs being circulated who is available for sale/loan.

Southgate? The only thing that could possibly keep him from a long career as England manager is if he follows the lead of most of his predecessors and keeps players in who are not doing it well each week in the League and/or are past their sell by date.

We may be out but I am quite happy at what we have seen in Russia. A gaffer dignified to the last and players not rising to the bait, in the main.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 9:29 am

New England Ram wrote:
    Pressure will be back on the Rams now to produce a signing or two.

Absolutely agree, terrible start to the summer from a Rams point of view. We are a handful of players worse off than last season currently and feelgood factor and bluster only take you so far.

I'm currently feelimg relieved that I didn't believe allthe bullsh*t about buying yourseason ticket early.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4967
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 10:17 am

The World Cup had it's stand out moments, VAR in general worked well, referees in general ignored the "if I lose the ball I'll fall down and hold my head to get a foul" tactic, and some brilliant dead ball tactics (especially by England) but the one thing that struck me the most was the massive number of players who either did or are currently playing in the Premier League.

How did we manage to nurture a team to achieve the semi finals against such numbers of non English players preventing the progress of the young Lions? A truly remarkable feat. Well done Gareth Southgate.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23425
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    Pressure will be back on the Rams now to produce a signing or two.

Absolutely agree, terrible start to the summer from a Rams point of view. We are a handful of players worse off than last season currently and feelgood factor and bluster only take you so far.

I'm currently feelimg relieved that I didn't believe allthe bullsh*t about buying yourseason ticket early.

Apparently everything is tied up with moving Vydra on.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Fri 13 Jul 2018, 9:11 pm

This is the late DavesaRam turning up with his two penneth!

I am proud of what the England squad have achieved and the way they carried themselves throughout the tournament. They got way further than probably most of us expected, and I really enjoyed all the support and interest with lots of people holding the potential success very lightly.

Croatia were there for the taking in the first half, and we should have 2 or 3 up by the break. Until then, Croatia looked like beaten men.

2nd half Croatia pushed a couple of players (their full backs?), releasing their wing backs to push ours further back, effectively making us play 5-3-2 instead of 3-5-2. This meant we had a midfield three against Croatia's five so we were over-run.Croatia's control came from this tactical change rather than Modric running the show.. He is capable of that, but didn't on the night. Unfortunately we didn't seem to be able to come up with an alternative.

This tournament Southgate has got the team playing in a very measured and controlled manner, and we rarely got involved with the severe provocation thrown our way. But the second half made me think that we have seen this before - apart from varying how much we push forwards or how much we sit back, we pretty much played the same way each time. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, it was playing to our strengths. But we had no Plan B, apart from throwing Vardy on. A Bit Stevie Mac, really.

Ironically the two guys who scored should have had two yellow cards and therefore not be on the pitch to score. The match officials were awful, but in the end if we don't defend properly the other team is going to score. Increasingly we ran out of ideas - we didn't look like beaten men like Croatia did, we just ran out of steam.

In the end we were beaten by a simple tactical change but the future looks great - the squad is young and very together. At team building social events the players chose for themselves to not take their mobile phones so that they would talk to each other rather than just sit staring at a screen. The standout players were Pickford, Maguire and Trippier, and the future looks very bright, especially if Southgate can come up with alternative tactics and formations.

The world Cup has also served as a great distraction of the aching void of waiting for the proper football to start at Pride Park.

By the way, is there a transfer scheme between various Football Leagues and Associations for match officials. There was an abundance of gross incompetence from all over the world who could certainly show our EFL officials a thing or two. Perhaps we could bring a few in to keep our own guys on their toes!
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5792
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 15 Jul 2018, 8:08 pm

VAR. Has it reduced all in wrestling inside the box at corners? Yes. Has it reduced other nefarious tactics? Probably. Has it decided a World Cup Final? Definitely.

The referee was allowed to make a human error with the penalty BECAUSE of VAR. France can win 6-1 now, it doesn''t matter, the damage has been done to our beautiful game. As I feared it would.

It has absolutely no place in football for subjective decisions.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14938
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 7:44 am

How much more objective can you get than a penalty award for handball that the video proved to be correct?

Stockers is right to raise the VAR question here and it requires discussion. I will start a VAR thread to continue VAR discussion there.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1464
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 8:50 am

It didn't come home but on a clear day you be able to see it from the cliffs of Dover 

Stirring the pot
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 855
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 11:10 am

outsider wrote:It didn't come home but on a clear day you be able to see it from the cliffs of Dover 

Stirring the pot
    So it's only a midnight break-in & a short trip through the channel tunnel away from home then 
                                                Wink
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1464
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 16 Jul 2018, 4:51 pm

Jackal wrote:
    outsider wrote:It didn't come home but on a clear day you be able to see it from the cliffs of Dover 

Stirring the pot
    So it's only a midnight break-in & a short trip through the channel tunnel away from home then 
                                                Wink
    Thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 14 Nov 2018, 12:08 pm