New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23428
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Re: World Cup Watch

Post by New England Ram on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:At least they made it to Russia, just remind me Cal, what are the USA team doing this summer

Panama took their spot !

Cal..I haven’t seen anyone say they are going to win it all.
    Although there are always dreamers and clowns out there.
    But the rest of the world is ok and always ready to gloat when we supposedly under achieve.
    So they can’t have it both ways and begrudge us our enjoyment when it all comes together on the day.

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4434
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

Now children, play nicely!

It was an emphatic win without getting out of second gear, and there are far more challenges ahead.

It was nice for once to see an England side step up, mop up, and complete by half time.

You do this as is expected, and move on with a song in the heart, knowing that today was a pleasant workout, but not kidding yourselves that this was anything other than it was.

2 games won, 1 to go, then the Ko's, I have a good feel about it, no team is playing that well so far, and any team can go all the way.

Can it be us??Hope so England England England England England England England

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 9:33 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:At least they made it to Russia, just remind me Cal, what are the USA team doing this summer

Slight difference though - football is by far the number 1 game in England
    but nowhere near that popular in the USA.

England did very well today against one of the weakest teams, and
    were good in the first half (less so in the second half) against Tunisia,
    who are perhaps a middling standard team. Some of our players have
    performed really well (Kane, Lingard and Trippier stand out for me)
    but some aren't contributing much. Our defence isn't very convincing
    under pressure.

Let's see how we do against Belgium, one of the best teams, before
    going overboard. A draw woulld be good result for us. Fingers crossed.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

I don’t think any team has anything like a good defence that’s why it’s been relatively exciting thus far.
    Certainly don’t think Belgium are anything special at the back..going forward a different matter obviously .

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:02 pm

rjrules71 wrote:Now children, play nicely!

It was an emphatic win without getting out of second gear, and there are far more challenges ahead.

It was nice for once to see an England side step up, mop up, and complete by half time.

You do this as is expected, and move on with a song in the heart, knowing that today was a pleasant workout, but not kidding yourselves that this was anything other than it was.

2 games won, 1 to go, then the Ko's, I have a good feel about it, no team is playing that well so far, and any team can go all the way.

Can it be us??Hope so England  England  England  England  England  England  England

I disagree though RJ..it’s not necessarily expected nor should be given our less than ordinary tournament track record.
    As Southgate pointed out our record in World Cups ..and Euros is pretty piss poor.
    My mate and I sat there this morning pre game knowing that England coming out flat and ponderous was not unthinkable and more of a possibility than the eventual outcome.
    I think it’s somewhat unfair to play down an England team scoring more goals in 45 minutes than a England team has ever scored in a World Cup game.
    People were waxing lyrical about Belgium after their 3-0 victory over Panama and then biging them up again after they took apart Tunisia.
    I say fair play to England today because they came out and answered Belgiums statement.

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 1:35 am

Wow original...
    Calif_Ramette

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 1:40 am

Did England look good, yes. However they had ONE shot from open play. ONE. Panama is dire and they should have not had to rely on penalties and deflected shots.

As for the where is the US dig...yall need to come up with something more original.

No back line has looked good as NER said. Could that change but I doubt it. I have a feelings its going to be more of a who can score 3 or more goals first, not who can only let in 1 as the tournament progresses.

I just find amusing how so many England fans are crowing over a demolition against the worst team in the WC. It was fun to see how the Panama fans partied when they scored their first ever WC goal though.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 6:42 am

Tell me how the USA team are doing at the World Cup?? I must have missed their game....
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 7:19 am

Cal, we're doing ok, if you are going to take a small minority of english empty heads and say they represent all of us, you can hardly claim that we are the unoriginal ones.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4972
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 7:37 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:Did England look good, yes. However they had ONE shot from open play. ONE. Panama is dire and they should have not had to rely on penalties and deflected shots.

As for the where is the US dig...yall need to come up with something more original.

No back line has looked good as NER said. Could that change but I doubt it. I have a feelings its going to be more of a who can score 3 or more goals first, not who can only let in 1 as the tournament progresses.

I just find amusing how so many England fans are crowing over a demolition against the worst team in the WC. It was fun to see how the Panama fans partied when they scored their first ever WC goal though.

Cal, it's not often we can crow about a performance in the WCF's, I for one live in the moment and I will not forget that display........until the next game because we are (as others) only as good as our last game so a few days of crowing are allowed.
    Calif_Ramette

Post by Calif_Ramette on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 7:56 am

valakari wrote:Tell me how the USA team are doing at the World Cup?? I must have missed their game....

That one has already been used in this thread, do try and be more original.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 8:08 am

no one can doubt England have started well and could have won by more in the first game but their haven't played a strong team yet. the fixtures have been kind as England play Belgium last, at the moment the media has gone from being sensible to overdrive but if they played Belgium and lost first game the pressure could have made them nervous. Now the pressure is off and if they rest players then lose it will be better for them to come second. saying that that goes for Belgium so might have a situation both wouldn't mind loosing Dunno

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:
    valakari wrote:Tell me how the USA team are doing at the World Cup?? I must have missed their game....

That one has already been used in this thread, do try and be more original.

I think val intended that as tongue in cheek sarcasm Cal, at least that's the way I read it knowing the way he posts things.

That first half performance was brilliant. As good a half of football as England have produced. Just one goal from open play? In the first half, yes but deflected or not, Kane's third was also from open play and a touch of genius to know just where to put his heel Wink

As for the goals from corners...... England teams (Derby ones as well for that matter) have been criticised for not scoring enough from corners. Now they appear to have put that right two games on the trot surely that should be applauded rather than criticised?

It would, indeed, have been nice to see more shots from the team but we have to remember that Panama parked an entire fleet of buses yet we still managed to get into position to score 6. 2 from corners, 2 from penalties and 2 shots from outside the box. In the past, England (... and Derby teams) have struggled to find a way through massed defences. Against Panama we didn't. Let we English bask in a couple of days of glory.

Thursday brings us back to reality when 2 Premier League sides meet (something like 15 of the 23 players in the Belgian squad play or have played in the PL) and we will see a totally different approach from both sides. Neither team has any genuinely bad players and they all know each other. There are no unknown quantities. I expect a close game as things stand but..... Martinez has already said he will be making several changes for the England game. We have no idea what Southgate will do. Will the managers pick strong sides or slightly weaker ones? Will one of them change just about the entire team and not worry about losing because they would rather face the winner of group H rather than the team finishing 2nd. Will they think that group H is too close to call who goes through in which position? IMO it is too close to call.

Winning is a great habit to have. I hope we pick as strong a side as possible. Unfortunately that may well be without the injured Trippier who has been a revelation so far.

I have one more wish and that is that the Panama game signalled the end of the WWE's role in this World Cup. The lesser teams have been turning corners and free kicks into Royal Rumbles. In 8 years time the WWE will return as FIFA, in its infinite wisdom, is increasing the number of teams to 48. That will bring in even more Tunisia and Panama like sides who will revert to bus parking and body slams..... I for one am not looking forward to it.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 9:44 pm

Another good night for VAR......
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 9:53 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:Another good night for VAR......

I fu**in hate it with a passion.
    So much standing around I might as well be watching baseball.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 9:59 pm

It does seem to be descending into farce.

I'm sure that we would all accept this if it made sure that we arrived at the right decision but in my opinion I don't think that we have any more correct decisions that we did before VAR.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 10:08 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:It does seem to be descending into farce.

I'm sure that we would all accept this if it made sure that we arrived at the right decision but in my opinion I don't think that we have any more correct decisions that we did before VAR.

Exactly after 30 minutes theatrics and standing around the decision is still debatable in many cases.

Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm

And it doesn't seem to have changed the attitude of players either. they are still cheating, diving, feigning injury and generally taking the p*ss, the only difference appears to be that the ref isn't taken seriously any more, he's just the lacky, the real boss is in a booth miles away.
    asotrsott

First ever game : Derby V Telford Utd 1984
    Number of posts : 453
    Registration date : 2013-07-05

Post by asotrsott on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

Why have a ref on the pitch all??? Just a F*ckin Loud Horn, and when summat kicks off, some geezer hits a big button and everyone plays `statues'.......... dancer Nurse Toast
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4972
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 25 Jun 2018, 11:36 pm

asotrsott wrote:Why have a ref on the pitch all??? Just a F*ckin Loud Horn, and when summat kicks off, some geezer hits a big button and everyone plays `statues'.......... dancer Nurse Toast

And the last one to stand still gets sent off?

Edit:(decided by VAR obviously.)
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 7:18 am

One person on here and thousands upon thousands on tinterwebthingy tried to rain on our parade yesterday because we had "only" beaten lowly Panama, albeit 6-1.

Will all those same people be sneering at Spain and Portugal for their respective loss and draw against other also rans?

Will they hell as like.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 11:40 am

MadAmster wrote:One person on here and thousands upon thousands on tinterwebthingy tried to rain on our parade yesterday because we had "only" beaten lowly Panama, albeit 6-1.

Will all those same people be sneering at Spain and Portugal for their respective loss and draw against other also rans?

Will they hell as like.

Nope they won’t.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 11:42 am

You know there is some newspaper geezer out there just salivating at the possible headlines of Vardy getting a goal overturned by VAR

Calif_Ramette

Post by Calif_Ramette on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 3:43 am

Portugal and Spain were dire and lucky to get through, I dont see either one making the quarters, Argentina was soooo lucky sadly. They have no back line and with a potent attacking line will get demolished. Sad to see Iceland go, they were great eye candy. From a few things I have read it looked like Denmark was not trying to win at all which I find rather shitty.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 8:32 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:From a few things I have read it looked like Denmark was not trying to win at all which I find rather shitty.

France and Denmark both only needed a draw to ensure they went through. No surprise that it ended 0-0 really.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:00 am