Registration date : 2009-02-13

Team v Southampton

Post by RRC on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 2:34 pm

Carson
    Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Lowe
    Mount, Ledley, Bryson
    Wilson, Nugent, Lawrence

Subs:
    Roos, Bogle, Pearce, Bird, Huddlestone, Thorne, Johnson, Butterfield, Jozefzoon, Thomas, Bennett, Hanson.

Forsyth still has a chest infection.
    Anya, Martin and Vydra are injured.

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 845
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Re: Team v Southampton

Post by Jackal on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 5:05 pm

Lowe had a really good game before going off in the 2nd half with a knock. I don't think anyone played badly although Butterfield never really got on the ball in his short cameo.
    whestonram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 361
    Registration date : 2010-10-09

Post by whestonram on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 6:22 pm

Jackal wrote:Lowe had a really good game before going off in the 2nd half with a knock. I don't think anyone played badly although Butterfield never really got on the ball in his short cameo.

Lowe was very good. Mount and Wilson both impressed me, and Lawrence too, despite trying to do too much on occasion. I thought Huddlestone looked better than Lesley, and Pearce and Hanson nothing like as good as Davies and Keogh. Nice to beat a premier league team. Particularly impressed with the way we closed down. I've never understood why we haven't in the past.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 21 Jul 2018, 7:40 pm

Soton avoided relegation last season on the penultimate day of the season. They have spent £45M on 4 players this summer. If they play like they did today, they might not be so lucky this season.

Derby? Avoided the individual mistakes that plagued us at Mansfield and we pressed Soton even harder than we were pressed by the Stags in the last 30 minutes on Wednesday.

If we play like this all season we will certainly be top 6 and ought to have a go at the auto places.

Carson (Roos, 72’) Carson had a good game. He did do a "Roos" at one point but got away with it. Roos showed enough to show that Wednesday's aberration isn't something he will be repeating on a regular basis

Wisdom (Bogle, 72’) Two mistakes from Wisdom but he solved one himself and the other led to nothing. Bogle again looked the business in his cameo.

Keogh (Hanson, 77’) Keogh looked far more settled than he was against the Stags. Hanson was steady when he came on and faultless

Davies (Pearce, 72’) Good. 2 hiccoughs that he got away with. Pearce is decent enough cover

Lowe (Bird, 69’) Man of the match performance, Tackled like a demon. Intercepted balls. Ran all over the place and he and Lawro worked brilliantly together down the left

Mount (Butterfield, 77’) Looked useful. One error early doors. Put through the middle by a Lowe pass we had 3 on 2 with Nuge left and Wilson right. Wilson should have been given an early pass. Mount ran and ran and was stopped by one of their centre halves. He looked good the rest of the time.

Ledley (Huddlestone, 63’) Sat in the middle and swept everything up as he does. Hudds did the same job but, IMO, better when he came on

Bryson (Johnson, 72’) Bryson is Bryson again for which I am grateful. Johnson to be a benchwarmer this season
    Wilson (Jozefzoon, 63’) Looked good. Both he and Mount will be even better once they have had time to used to their new colleagues and gaffer and system.

Nugent (Bennett, 72’) Nuge had a good game. Bennett came on and scored. Both will be in the matchday XVIII

Lawrence (Thomas, 72’) Lawrence had a great game, worked wonderfully well together with Lowe. Scored twice. Definite starter IMO. Thomas won't start but should be on the bench.

Basic thoughts are that the high intensity pressing game is great to watch. We press the opposition. We run and help each other, We tackle. We pass. It's mainly one and two touch football and Soton couldn't handle it.

We don't as yet know how the other 23 teams in the League are shaping up but DCFC are looking good.

I don't see us getting taken apart like we did in the last half hour by Mansfield. We won't have the same players on the park together. We will have learned from that and won't let the situation arise again. Pre season appears to be doing its job admirably.

This Ram is a happy one at the moment.

Unused Substitutes: Thorne.
    Ram_in_OZ

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Live 1994 vs Leicester
    Number of posts : 66
    Registration date : 2013-09-11

Post by Ram_in_OZ on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 10:49 am

whestonram wrote:
    Jackal wrote:Lowe had a really good game before going off in the 2nd half with a knock. I don't think anyone played badly although Butterfield never really got on the ball in his short cameo.

Lowe was very good. Mount and Wilson both impressed me, and Lawrence too, despite trying to do too much on occasion. I thought Huddlestone looked better than Lesley, and Pearce and Hanson nothing like as good as Davies and Keogh. Nice to beat a premier league team. Particularly impressed with the way we closed down. I've never understood why we haven't in the past.
    Yep - this has been raised many times in the past. Look a completely different team when we do. Enjoyed watching this in the wee hours of the morning on RamsTV (Mansfield was dire). Disappointingly small crowd from what I could see
    Sydney Smooth

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1946
    First ever game : 26th January 1946 - Rams 1-0 WBA
    Number of posts : 1215
    Registration date : 2010-04-11

Post by Sydney Smooth on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 12:08 pm

I sat on the back row of the West Lower and Jerome was sat just behind in the executive area in a matchday shirt, another supporter asked him if he was injured and the response was "No".

No sign of Mitchell, is he injured as I rate him above Roos.

The new lads were full of energy although Florrie Zootsuit looked lost at times, I suppose this is to be expected as he has had little time to train with the rest of the squad.

I thought Max Lowe was outstanding, just a couple of minor blips in what was an otherwise impeccable performance, some of his incisive passing was a joy to see.

Bring on the Dogheads.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:00 pm

Sydney Smooth wrote:I sat on the back row of the West Lower and Jerome was sat just behind in the executive area in a matchday shirt, another supporter asked him if he was injured and the response was "No".

No sign of Mitchell, is he injured as I rate him above Roos.

The new lads were full of energy although Florrie Zootsuit looked lost at times, I suppose this is to be expected as he has had little time to train with the rest of the squad.

I thought Max Lowe was outstanding, just a couple of minor blips in what was an otherwise impeccable performance, some of his incisive passing was a joy to see.

Bring on the Dogheads.

Telegraph said Jerome had a slight groin problem nothing too serious.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 7:52 am

New England Ram wrote:.

Telegraph said Jerome had a slight groin problem nothing too serious.

It has been said that Vydra and Martin are both suffering severely stretched transfer negotiations.

Is it possible that Jerome has suffered a similar injury?
    old ewe

Number of posts : 665
    Registration date : 2012-05-20

Post by old ewe on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 10:20 am

Vydra's groin could be convenient but Martin has a long term abdominal problem which was diagnosed some months ago.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11653
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

Martin, Thorne, Blackman, Butterfield and Hanson are all playing for the under 23s this morning.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 12:10 pm

All 5 surplus to requirements and so getting game time to get them fit enough to let go could be one possibility?
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3950
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 3:32 pm

MadAmster wrote:All 5 surplus to requirements and so getting game time to get them fit enough to let go could be one possibility?

Is Thorne is surplus to requirements in your opinion because he's rarely fit, or don't you think a fit GT could do a job for us ?

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 4:35 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:All 5 surplus to requirements and so getting game time to get them fit enough to let go could be one possibility?

Is Thorne is surplus to requirements in your opinion because he's rarely fit, or don't you think a fit GT could do a job for us ?  

It was a question as opposed to an opinion Bram.

My opinion on GT is that a fit GT would be like a new signing. He looked more mobile today in the 23s than he did at Mansfield. Still not the GT of old. I hope that will come.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3950
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 23 Jul 2018, 4:47 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    bramhallram wrote:

It was a question as opposed to an opinion Bram.

My opinion on GT is that a fit GT would be like a new signing. He looked more mobile today in the 23s than he did at Mansfield. Still not the GT of old. I hope that will come.
    I hope so too. A fully fit GT would add real quality to our squad.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 6:14 pm