COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Share
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 10:05 pm

    Derby fielded the ame side that beat Wolves in the last pre-season friendly --
    Carson
    Wisdom Keogh, Davies, Lowe
    Mount Ledley Bryson
    Wilson Nugent Lawrence

    subs-- Roos, Bogle, Pearce, Josefzoon, Johnson, Bennett, Thomas

    Reading started at the gallop. A nervy Derby started with some careless mistakes
    and a silly late foul by Lawrence, putting pressure on themselves. If Reading had
    better strikers, Derby might soon have been behind. It took almost 10 minutes
    before Derby worked some promising attacks but last season's problems - their
    inability to keep possession, poor final balls and lack of variety in attack -- were
    soon evident again.

    Using the full backs so much as extra attackers meant that Keogh and Davies were
    often isolated and it was easy for Reading to play balls behind them. Derby didn't
    get behind the Reading defence, so Nugent's runs were rarely exploited and Reading
    were under little pressure. In the last 10 minutes of the half, Derby worked some
    better attacks and the referee gave a couple of yellow cards to Reading for bad
    late tackles. He was too quick with his whistle on one occasion, stopping play when
    Derby had already recovered the ball in a good position to break through.

    Derby were disappointing. They had jusst three shots (none on target) and two poor
    corners to show for their efforts, Reading were far from brilliant but they had five shots
    (four on target), two corners and a massive 68% possession.
    HT Reading 0-0 Derby

    A couple of minutes after the restart Nugent put the ball in the net from a better cross
    by Mount but Nugent had run offside. There were positive signs from Derby with quicker
    and more accurate passing but it was Reading who took the lead on 52 minutes. Wisdom
    and Wilson stood off as Reading attacked down the left, allowing Barrow more than
    enough space to put in an excellent cross. Bodvarson rose above the defence and gave
    Carson no chance with his header.



    On the hour mark, Mount equalised with a long shot, which the Reading keeper should
    have saved easily. Johnson replaced Ledley (tight hmstring) on 69 minutes and Bennett
    came on for Nugent four minutes later. Reading's keeper made amends for his earlier
    mistake with a fine close-range save from Wilson. Derby had more freedom to attack as
    the Reading defence tired and the game became more open but too many of their attacks
    broke down through poor final passes or poor first touch. They had more shots in the
    second half but very few threatened the goal until their second decent cross of the match,
    a really superb effort by Bennett, gave Lawrence the chance to head home the winner in
    the last minute.
    FT Reading 1-2 Derby

    It was a relief to get a rather lucky win. Lampard and Morris should have a better idea of
    how much work needs to be done if Derby are to be realstic candidates for promotion.


    Last edited by RRC on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 10:12 pm; edited 3 times in total



    avatar
    valakari

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1910
    Registration date : 2011-10-22
    Points : 2024
    Age : 51
    Location : Derby

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by valakari on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

    Thought Mason Bennett was superb when he came on. Bryson was back to his best...Mount, Lawrence and Wilson showed glimpses..the rest were average. Think he needs Huddlestone fit or the new guy, Evans. Lowe worries me defensively, Ledley is shit. I would like to see Jofezoon on the pitch sooner rather than later and Marriott. Good 3 points even though we were shit 1st half.
    avatar
    Loughborough Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11653
    Registration date : 2009-02-14
    Points : 14139
    Location : Doghouse

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Loughborough Ram on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm

    Promising performance overall. To recover from a lacklustre first half to eventually look the better team suggest that this group has belief and is going to improve quickly.

    Wilson had a poor game but shouldn't be judged on his first 90 mins. Mount and Bryson showed glimpses without running the game, the defence looked shaky at times, and Nugent needs support if we are going to acieve anything at all. Another positive was the fitness. We lasted the pace far better then them and we looked fitter than we have done since Nigel Clough left. Add 5 games worth of sharpness and we'll be flying.

    I thought that Lawrence did well but for me, the difference was Mason Bennett, he gave their two centre halves more trouble in his short time on the pitch than they had had to deal with in the whole of the rest of the game.

    This was a good start, and don't forget, the top teams always score late goals

    We are top of the league, say we are top of the league
    avatar
    Mitten State Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2014-05-23
    Points : 859
    Location : Michigan

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Mitten State Ram on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 11:13 pm

    Wilson is a young lad moving up a level, but his passes were so poor--always behind. He needs to buck up fast. Mount, Lawrence, and Nugent looked the part in flashes. Captain Keogh-calamity was painful in the first 45. Still, a sloppy win on the first fixture of the year is worth exactly as many points as an emphatic 5-0 rout of a top-six rival in late March. Bank 'em, move on and get better.
    avatar
    Stockport Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5766
    Registration date : 2010-03-22
    Points : 6371
    Age : 53
    Location : That's a toughie.......

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 03 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm

    Can we combine the two threads please Mods?

    A good side would have had us 3-0 down in 22 minutes - 2 down in 15 - thanks to one man and one man only.  Luckily, we weren't playing a good side.

    Three points when we have so much to learn, and quickly, is more than welcome.

    My 2-2 wasn't far away, apart from two moments of simultaneous magic from Mason and Tom.

    Did you see Lawrence after the goal?  "I can't move my legs!"  he said to the physio. Either he has given every ounce of his body, or he's a Jeff Chandler.  I'm still not sure which.

    MOTM ? Maybe Tom, for having the guts to get in the box for that header. Maybe Bryson, for 94 minutes of Duracell and touches of class. Maybe Mount, for, well, just class.

    Lots to learn.... but so much more to enjoy than under Rowett.
    avatar
    Mitten State Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2014-05-23
    Points : 859
    Location : Michigan

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:25 am

    Lampard and co. at the end, though... If they all keep enjoying themselves this much together it bodes well.
    avatar
    Calif_Ramette

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2845
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 3065
    Age : 40
    Location : Weed, CA USofA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:45 am

    Keogh was crap, Ledley was crap and we were lucky Redding did not have a pure goal scorer. Dreadful first half.

    Mason Bennett came on and made himself known and gave the Reading CB's fits, pin point cross for Lawrence for the winner.

    Promotion teams, championship teams find ways to win like they did today. One hell of an ending.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:57 am

    Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.



    avatar
    Calif_Ramette

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2845
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 3065
    Age : 40
    Location : Weed, CA USofA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 1:03 am

    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.
    avatar
    Mitten State Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 823
    Registration date : 2014-05-23
    Points : 859
    Location : Michigan

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 1:36 am

    Ledley was unusually poor; he looked clod-footed and lethargic. When you've got more midfielders than you can give away there isn't an excuse for playing one who isn't fit.
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 1:43 am

    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.



    avatar
    mcsilks

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2016-08-14
    Points : 311
    Location : Japan

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by mcsilks on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 4:37 am

    The first half wasn't a great spectacle, but I put that down to players making too many individual mistakes with their passing because they are trying to get used to the new and refreshing system of playing out from the back.

    I wouldn't be overly critical of any players in the first half. They are bound to be mistakes when learning a new system.

    The second half saw us mixing our passing up a little more and that proved more effective.

    The biggest plus for me on the night was that we didn't really look like conceding. Under different regimes over the past few seasons, we have looked frail defensively. I didn't see that in this game.

    In this side, we have individuals that can get a goal out of nothing, and we proved that on the two occasions we scored.

    I am really, really positive going forward with this side and the new system.

    It may take a season though. Pep's first season at City was all about getting his players used to his system. His defenders looked shaky giving the ball away and that was echoed in this performance against Reading.

    Please let's not be singling out the likes of Keogh or Lowe if they make a few stray passes. We need to afford them to time to get used to the system.

    Once Huddlestone get's fit, he will fit right into this system with his range of passing.

    How nice to see a side that still has energy going into the latter part of matches. Polar opposites of seasons gone by.

    I don't completely agree with Lamps when he said we didn't deserve the win. We were mush the better side in that second half and after they scored, there was only one side that looked like scoring.

    Very happy. COYR
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28053
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 5:01 am

    mcsilks wrote:The first half wasn't a great spectacle, but I put that down to players making too many individual mistakes with their passing because they are trying to get used to the new and refreshing system of playing out from the back.

    I wouldn't be overly critical of any players in the first half. They are bound to be mistakes when learning a new system.

    The second half saw us mixing our passing up a little more and that proved more effective.

    The biggest plus for me on the night was that we didn't really look like conceding. Under different regimes over the past few seasons, we have looked frail defensively. I didn't see that in this game.

    In this side, we have individuals that can get a goal out of nothing, and we proved that on the two occasions we scored.

    I am really, really positive going forward with this side and the new system.

    It may take a season though. Pep's first season at City was all about getting his players used to his system. His defenders looked shaky giving the ball away and that was echoed in this performance against Reading.

    Please let's not be singling out the likes of Keogh or Lowe if they make a few stray passes. We need to afford them to time to get used to the system.

    Once Huddlestone get's fit, he will fit right into this system with his range of passing.

    How nice to see a side that still has energy going into the latter part of matches. Polar opposites of seasons gone by.  

    I don't completely agree with Lamps when he said we didn't deserve the win. We were mush the better side in that second half and after they scored, there was only one side that looked like scoring.

    Very happy. COYR

    Thumbs up



    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28053
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 5:02 am

    RRC wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.

    Do we know for sure he wasn’t fit..or could it have just been down to the heat ?



    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 8:03 am

    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.

    Do we know for sure he wasn’t fit..or could it have just been down to the heat ?

    Not for sure but that's how it looked to me.
    I've never heard of hot weather causing a "tight hamstring" or any kind
    of muscle injury. Cold weather would be more likely to affect muscles etc.
    which is why players warm up before games.

    Managers are rarely honest enough to admit they played an injured player
    even after the event and they'd be daft to alert the opposition beforehand.


    Last edited by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 8:24 am; edited 1 time in total



    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 8:16 am

    Here's the Sky match report --

    Player ratings
    Derby: Carson (6), Wisdom (6), Keogh (6), Davies (6), Lowe (6), Bryson (6), Ledley (6), Mount (7), Wilson (6), Nugent (5), Lawrence (8).
    Subs: Johnson (5), Bennett (6), Pearce (n/a)

    Man of the match: Mo Barrow

    [ I agree - but he was helped by our poor defending. If only our wide players attacked on the outside
    more often and crossed as well as he did, instead of tracking inside and adding to the congestion. RRC ]

    Tom Lawrence's stoppage-time header gave Derby boss Frank Lampard a first managerial win in a 2-1
    victory over Reading in the Championship curtain-raiser.

    The Royals had the bit between their teeth from the outset and caused problems, nullifying the lacklustre
    Rams attack and troubling their opponents with continuous menacing forays into the final third.

    Jon Dadi Bodvarsson gave the hosts a deserved lead when he headed home Mo Barrow's floated cross
    (52), but within 10 minutes, Chelsea loanee Mason Mount's drive escaped the grip of Vito Mannone,
    allowing the visitors to level proceedings (60).

    The game looked to be heading for a 1-1 draw, but in the dying seconds, Lawrence completed the
    comeback when he met Mason Bennett's cross and planted a header beyond the former Arsenal stopper

    Heading into the new campaign after escaping relegation on the last season's final day and without a
    pre-season victory, the signs appeared bleak for Paul Clement's Royals heading into the season opener.

    Despite having significantly less possession, the Royals were, however, resolute in defence; pacey and
    positive when coming forward.

    Derby skipper Richard Keogh often suffered the ignominy of conceding after making poor passes out
    from defence last season and was almost left red-faced on two occasions in the first half in Berkshire;
    two lackadaisical passes allowed Bodvarsson the chance to carve out a pair of efforts, the Iceland
    striker's lack of comfort on the ball redeemed the Irishman.

    Seven minutes into the second half, he finally made a chance count when he evaded the challenge of a
    host of Rams defenders to nod home Barrow's cross, but the elation was short-lived when Mount struck
    on the hour, largely thanks to Mannone's error.

    The game swayed in both directions in the final half hour of the game and though Reading maintained
    their intensity, it was the visitors who completed the unprecedented turnaround when Lawrence leapt to
    meet Bennett's delightful cross to secure the win and spark jubilant celebrations in a relieved dugout.

    Sky Sports



    avatar
    SawleyRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4932
    Registration date : 2011-01-11
    Points : 6651
    Age : 70
    Location : Username gives it away!

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by SawleyRam on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 11:01 am

    mcsilks wrote:The first half wasn't a great spectacle, but I put that down to players making too many individual mistakes with their passing because they are trying to get used to the new and refreshing system of playing out from the back.

    I wouldn't be overly critical of any players in the first half. They are bound to be mistakes when learning a new system.

    The second half saw us mixing our passing up a little more and that proved more effective.

    The biggest plus for me on the night was that we didn't really look like conceding. Under different regimes over the past few seasons, we have looked frail defensively. I didn't see that in this game.

    In this side, we have individuals that can get a goal out of nothing, and we proved that on the two occasions we scored.

    I am really, really positive going forward with this side and the new system.

    It may take a season though. Pep's first season at City was all about getting his players used to his system. His defenders looked shaky giving the ball away and that was echoed in this performance against Reading.

    Please let's not be singling out the likes of Keogh or Lowe if they make a few stray passes. We need to afford them to time to get used to the system.

    Once Huddlestone get's fit, he will fit right into this system with his range of passing.

    How nice to see a side that still has energy going into the latter part of matches. Polar opposites of seasons gone by.  

    I don't completely agree with Lamps when he said we didn't deserve the win. We were mush the better side in that second half and after they scored, there was only one side that looked like scoring.

    Very happy. COYR

    A very accurate account of events and in total agreement with the paragraph that I have highlighted.
    avatar
    CornwallRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6434
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 6974
    Age : 50
    Location : Derby

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by CornwallRam on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 11:12 am

    These early games are always a bedding in period, especially with a new regime in place. The trick is not to drop too many points whilst things are being fine tuned. Last night we won - that's job done.

    If we are still playing like that after ten games, I'll be worried. We struggled to create against a poor Reading side. Only Davies looked like a Championship defender from our back four. We also had no answer to their high press - exactly the same issue which caused our form nosedives when McClaren played 433.

    On the plus side, our heads never dropped. We made our own luck with the first goal by continuing to push. The second was a fantastic goal which we actually deserved by being the best team for the final fifteen minutes - which itself was an improvement on previous seasons. So often we've clung on to games or apparently given up if we're not winning by 80 minutes.

    On the whole, it was an encouraging start. We still have some potentially start players to come back/in. I still maintain that we'll never get promoted playing 433 though - it's such an easy system to nullify.
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28053
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:10 pm

    RRC wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.

    Do we know for sure he wasn’t fit..or could it have just been down to the heat ?

    Not for sure but that's how it looked to me.
    I've never heard of hot weather causing a "tight hamstring" or any kind
    of muscle injury. Cold weather would be more likely to affect muscles etc.
    which is why players warm up before games.

    Managers are rarely honest enough to admit they played an injured player
    even after the event and they'd be daft to alert the opposition beforehand.

    No I meant because you said he was labouring ..did we know that that was down to a muscle strain ( had someone said that) or could he just have been struggling due to the conditions making him slow and immobile



    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16309
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 20449

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by RRC on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:13 pm

    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.

    Do we know for sure he wasn’t fit..or could it have just been down to the heat ?

    Not for sure but that's how it looked to me.
    I've never heard of hot weather causing a "tight hamstring" or any kind
    of muscle injury. Cold weather would be more likely to affect muscles etc.
    which is why players warm up before games.

    Managers are rarely honest enough to admit they played an injured player
    even after the event and they'd be daft to alert the opposition beforehand.

    No I meant because you said he was labouring ..did we know that that was down to a muscle strain ( had someone said that) or could he just have been struggling due to the conditions making him slow and immobile

    When Ledley went off, the commentator said that the reason given was hamstring.

    How hot was it at 8 pm - probably not as hot as the afternoon friendlies.



    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28053
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:14 pm

    RRC wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    Calif_Ramette wrote:
    RRC wrote:Was Ledley carrying a hamstring injury from the start? I suspect that he was.

    His movement was poor but he was still our most accurate passer, as he often is.

    Then he shouldn't have been out there. He was at fault for the first goal imo. If he is hurt put BJ in.

    True, but Ledley doesn't pick the team. Managers too often seem to persuade
    players to play when they're not fit enough (too many of our recent managers
    have done this) and you see players struggling through games making their
    injuries worse. That's how minor injuries can become long-term ones.

    Btw Johnson is a left-sided attacking midfielder, who was originally played in the
    defensive role as a last resort. The obvious alternative to Ledley, Huddlestone, is
    injured and I assume that Evans was signed as extra back up but he's only been
    at Derby for a few days, so probably not ready for first team action.

    Do we know for sure he wasn’t fit..or could it have just been down to the heat ?

    Not for sure but that's how it looked to me.
    I've never heard of hot weather causing a "tight hamstring" or any kind
    of muscle injury. Cold weather would be more likely to affect muscles etc.
    which is why players warm up before games.

    Managers are rarely honest enough to admit they played an injured player
    even after the event and they'd be daft to alert the opposition beforehand.

    No I meant because you said he was labouring ..did we know that that was down to a muscle strain ( had someone said that) or could he just have been struggling due to the conditions making him slow and immobile

    When Ledley went off, the commentator said that the reason given was hamstring.

    Ah ok



    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23413
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 28053
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by New England Ram on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm

    CornwallRam wrote:These early games are always a bedding in period, especially with a new regime in place. The trick is not to drop too many points whilst things are being fine tuned. Last night we won - that's job done.

    If we are still playing like that after ten games, I'll be worried. We struggled to create against a poor Reading side. Only Davies looked like a Championship defender from our back four. We also had no answer to their high press - exactly the same issue which caused our form nosedives when McClaren played 433.

    On the plus side, our heads never dropped. We made our own luck with the first goal by continuing to push. The second was a fantastic goal which we actually deserved by being the best team for the final fifteen minutes - which itself was an improvement on previous seasons. So often we've clung on to games or apparently given up if we're not winning by 80 minutes.

    On the whole, it was an encouraging start. We still have some potentially start players to come back/in. I still maintain that we'll never get promoted playing 433 though - it's such an easy system to nullify.

    I wonder when the pirate Jack is fit to start up top if we will mix it up more looking to be a little more direct at times and getting the opposition turned and out of our faces.



    avatar
    DavesaRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 979
    Registration date : 2011-10-15
    Points : 1117
    Age : 61
    Location : Allestree

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by DavesaRam on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 1:09 pm

    Watched this from a hot tub! Its not easy to do the bounce in a hot tub, more of a gentle bob! Actually I couldn't get the time off work, or I'd have been there.

    As many have said, we were poor, first half. We didn't do the "high pressing" which was the key to our pre-season successes, not necessarily because we chose not to, or simply didn't bother, but more because of how Reading played. I think they did a job on us, but more than that I think they surprised us. I was expecting their usual hide in their own half and pass it around ad nausea which is Clement's and their hallmark. Instead they burst out of the traps and pressed us high up the pitch, playing us at our own game, and it worked. It did unsettle us, which is why we saw the uncharacteristic sloppy passing - something which ha stood during pre-season was that the whole team looked like footballers, and our passing, ball-control and speed of thought was much improved over previous seasons, and all that seemed to have disappeared last night.

    There were the "calamity-passing" errors from Mr Keogh, but our weakest link for me was Wisdom. His defending was poor, but worse than that his passing wasn't very effective, often doing a "Butterfield", turning back and going safe, but his speed of thought just doesn't seem to be there this season. There has been criticism of Lowe's defending, although I thought he still put some great tackles in, and his control and use of the ball in play is astounding - he has a very significant future ahead, of that I am sure.

    The biggest plus for me was the difference the half-time team  talk made, because we came out in the second half much more on the front foot, surely a sign of managerial capability. Well done, Frank! And to overcome the body blow of conceding while playing so well is also a good sign. Yes our equaliser was because of poor goalkeeping, but equally, their goal was because of poor defending as  well. I did notice that when  we did start to show glimpses of what we can do, it brought out two traits in Readings approach - to go down like flies at the slightest opportunity, and to commit quite cynical, often crude fouls. This also highlighted that "its started again" - not the football season, the crap refereeing. Wisdom collided with the winger who then got clear, then flopped down to his hands and knees after clearly thinking about it first. It was Wisdom's first foul and certainly wasn't a yellwo card offence, but he was wearing a Derby shirt, so yellow card it was. Similarly, Lowes card was also harsh, especially given the fouls which went unpunished by the Reading players. The only justifiable card for a Derby player was Johnson's, and it could easily have been a red card. Yes Johnson did get a hefty shove in the neck by the Reading man's hand and arm, but to then roll around like he did to try and get his opponent red carded was wrong. To then go physically head-to-head with him was foolish - I hope Frank has a word with him about that.

    I was impressed with the impact Bennett had when he came on - Nugent struggled becauae he can't handle balls played in either to his head, or to his feet, and Reading stooped us playing the passes that Nugent thrives on. Mason's arrival cause problems - he does thrive on the same through balls, but can also beat his man. He carries a threat on the wing, and seems to have developed a Sturridge-like poacher's instinct. I wonder if Frank is aware of Bennett's impact against Chelsea in that cup match when he scared the pants off Ashley Cole? I don't even remember if Frank was with Chelsea then, but it looks like Mason has come of age. Well done. Maybe we should think of giving him a start in the next few matches?

    Plenty to think about, and plenty to be excited about, especially the passion of the management team on the touchline.

    Come on you Rams!
    avatar
    ShardlowSheep

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4070
    Registration date : 2009-03-27
    Points : 4228
    Age : 40
    Location : Kilburn (I have moved from Shardlow)

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 2:50 pm

    Not a great performance but early season games are often scrappy. Great result in to the next one
    avatar
    MadAmster

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14866
    Registration date : 2009-02-20
    Points : 16669
    Age : 64
    Location : Where else but Amster Dam

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by MadAmster on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 3:23 pm

    Chalk n cheese job. They were all over us like a rash for 35 minutes and, like Soton against us, we didn't have a clue what to do.

    Last 10 of the 1st half was better.

    Then came whatever FL said to the lads at HT. Back to what we did in pre season and we were the better side. Wisdom should have clsoed Barrow down. He didn't. He crossed and Bodvarsson put it away brilliantly giving Carson no chance wotsumdivva.

    In recent seasons that body blow would have seen us implode. We didn't. We got on with it and looked far the better side. A speculative shot, with his wrong foot I may add, from Mount (will he get nicknamed Peggy?) went in and Mannone will have recurring nightmares over that.

    Also, in the recent past, we would have took a creative player off and replaced him with a defender to safeguard the point. FL didn't do that. Ledley picked up (or further aggravated) a hamstring problem and was replaced by BJ. Logical swap. Nuge was replaced by Bennett, also like for like although I think that comparison is, these days, not doing Mason B justice. Has the lad finally come of age?

    He held their left back off and, rather than take it into the corner in the dying seconds, he beat the defender, put in a great cross an Lawro met it perfectly. Lawro's legs turned to jelly and he was replaced for the last 5 seconds by Pearce.... protecting the lead.

    The start is worrying. That the team started to get back into it in the last 10 of the 1st half is encouraging. That FL got them back doing exactly what it is he wants them to do in the 2nd half is, hopefully, indicative of what effect he has on the side.

    A game that provides hope rather than OTT joy. 3 points in the bag on the bag of, over the 90 minutes, an average performance. Start replicating the 2nd half performance from the off and....... this time next year Rodders????? It could just happen.

    I'm already on the roller coaster. Who's with me?

    Sponsored content

    Re: Reading 1-2 Derby reports and comments

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 5:58 pm