RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16356
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 1-4 Leeds reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 7:35 pm

Derby made two enforced changes from the side that started against Reading
    with Tomori and Waghorn replacing the injured Davies and Nugent.
          Carson
          Wisdom Keogh Tomori Lowe
          Mount Ledley Bryson
          Wilson Waghorn Lawrence
          subs— Roos, Pearce, Forsyth, Josefzoon, Johnson, Bennett, Marriott
    Leeds were able to name the team that beat Stoke at Elland Road.

Leeds attacked from the start but Derby, looking far more lively than last week, responded immediately
    to make a half chance. The attacks by both sides were fast and direct; and the constant pressure meant
    that the defending at both ends was frantic. The first goal came when Derby lost the ball on their left.
    Leeds attacked through right wing Hernandez, who found Kilch, and Kilch’s fine long shot gave them the
    lead on 5 minutes.

Leeds paid for a foul close to their penalty area when Lawrence equalized with an excellent free kick to
    the top corner on 12 minutes. The high tempo attacks continued and a fine cross by Alioski allowed Roofe
    to rise above the Derby defence and plant a good header in the net for Leeds’ second goal on 21 minutes.
    Derby worked hard to counter, and their passing, movement and control were a big improvement on the
    Reading game. But they were not quite as quick and accurate as Leeds, who were thus able to create
    better chances and a few more of them. The Rams had 6 shots (1 on target) to Leeds’ 9 (3 on target).
    Ledley and Keogh received yellow cards for clumsy fouls; Leeds got no cards – even their deliberate fouls
    were smarter than Derby’s.
    HT Derby 1–2 Leeds

Johnson replaced Ledley at the start of the second half. Derby were briefly penned in the own half, unable
    to pass out of defence, but a long kick gave Mount the chance advance and cross for Wilson, who couldn’t
    quite reach the ball to shoot with Leeds’ defence well beaten. Leeds’ frequent attacks down their right,
    mainly through Hernandez, regularly stretched the Derby defence. Lawrence battled well for a ball on the
    right of Leeds’ area but Bryson couldn’t convert Lawrence’s great cross.

The attacks by both teams continued at a breathless pace. Carson made a superb reaction save at close
    quarters but he had no chance on the hour mark, when Roofe beat Keogh in the box and scored Leeds’
    third goal. Josefzoon replaced Wilson on 61 minutes. Three minutes later, another Leeds’ break, started by
    a long free kick from their own half, saw Hernandez chase the ball to the goal  line and pull it back for
    Alioski to score Leeds’ fourth goal. Bennett came on for Mason Mount in the 75th minute. Derby never
    gave up but they didn't come close to scoring again.
    FT Derby 1–4 Leeds

This was an improved performance by Derby, but it depended too much on solo efforts, notably by
    Lawrence, Mount and Bryson, rather than the disciplined teamwork that we saw from Leeds. The Rams
    lost because Leeds were simply the better team. Leeds were more organized, passed more accurately and
    were more clinical in front of goal. Their midfield four had an edge over Derby’s three. Derby have a lot of
    work to do, but there are promising signs, and they won’t meet many teams as good as Leeds this season.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11680
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Derby 1-4 Leeds reports and comments

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 8:47 pm

Second game of the season, against a top side, on a good day.

No time to panic. I thought that Tomouri was very promising, and Lawrence has clearly worked on his strength over the summer but there were too many players making too many mistakes for us to be successful on the day.

Frank needs to quickly find his best team and get the organised and we won't be too far away in my opinion.

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14702
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 9:27 pm

I’ll stand by what I’ve said for the past 5 seasons. Whilst Keogh is in the starting 11, we are going nowhere.

The ‘more experienced’ players let the youngsters and the new boys down tonight.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 999
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 9:38 pm

We ended up with that result because Leeds wanted it more than us, and because the performance of our defence was worse than the performance of the match officials. Without really affecting the resuklt directly, the officials were awful. How we ended up with four (or was it five?) yellow cards with Leeds on none is beyond comprehension. Only one of our cards was justifiable. What about the two-footed lunge at one of our midfielders, which the ref played advantage for because the ball fell to Lawrence. But he didn't eveb speak to the offender once play broke down. Then Lowe was thrown to the ground right in front of the linesman with nothing given, only for Bryson to be booked for a much lighter pull on a Leeds player. ANd so it continued until Leeds were 4-1, at which point the ref actually started to givce us free-kicks, but only in areas where it didn't matter. He did show two yellow cards to Leeds, but that was in injury time, again when it didn't matter. The free-kick which led to the goal should have been a yellow card, because it was cynical, but it seemed that justice was done. But it wasn't, because that was the second nasty, cardable challenge on our Tom, after which he backed out of most of the remaining challenges, so effectively our main creative threat was neutralised because the ref was a wimp.

There were signs of what is to come, but where was the high pressing which put Southampton and Wolves on theer backsides? And where was the fast, attacking football? Only Tomori and Waghorn (and Bennett once he was actually rewarded for us performances so far) seemed up for it. Lowe showed some great touches but was way out of position too many times, with the excellent Tomori covering his inexperience time and time again. If the result wasn't so bad, I think we would have been singing "Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up" like we did on George Thorne's debut. He is that good and more, and will be a hugely important signing. I am worried for Richard Keogh. He is still a great player at this level, and even while things are not going well, he always shows for the ball, and always gives his all. But something has gone wrong foe him. Unless there is a major change, I can see a Davies/Tomori partnership once Davies is fit again.

Thankfully this has happened early on in the season, and it is only the second match of the season, so there is plenty of time for Frank and Jody to do their stuff. COYR!
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 860
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 11:55 pm

We were bright in spells, and had the best of the fifteen minutes after the break. I felt then that the team who scored next would win. Alas, that was L**ds. The difference was that sloppy passes behind your man might not be punished by the likes of Reading, but a team with real top flight pretensions will capitalize. When we gave up the ball in the middle in our back half, they scored. We need to become that clinical--which I see signs that we will, and less sloppy--of which I am less confident.
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:50 am

DavesaRam wrote:We ended up with that result because Leeds wanted it more than us, and because the performance of our defence was worse than the performance of the match officials. Without really affecting the resuklt directly, the officials were awful. How we ended up with  four (or was it five?) yellow cards with Leeds on none is beyond comprehension. Only one of our cards was justifiable. What about the two-footed lunge at one of our midfielders, which the ref played advantage for because the ball fell to Lawrence. But he didn't eveb speak to the offender once play broke down. Then Lowe was thrown to the ground right in front of the linesman with nothing given, only for Bryson to be booked for a much lighter pull on a Leeds player. ANd so it continued until Leeds were 4-1, at which point the ref actually started to givce us free-kicks, but only in areas where it didn't matter. He did show two yellow cards to Leeds, but that was in injury time, again when it didn't matter. The free-kick which led to the goal should have been a yellow card, because it was cynical, but it seemed that justice was done. But it wasn't, because that was the second nasty, cardable challenge on our Tom, after which he backed out of most of the remaining challenges, so effectively our main creative threat was neutralised because the ref was a wimp.

There were signs of what is to come, but where was the high pressing which put Southampton and Wolves on theer backsides? And where was the fast, attacking football? Only Tomori and Waghorn (and Bennett once he was actually rewarded for us performances so far) seemed up for it. Lowe showed some great touches but was way out of position too many times, with the excellent Tomori covering his inexperience time and time again. If the result wasn't so bad, I think we would have been singing "Sign him up, sign  him up, sign him up" like we did on George Thorne's debut. He is that good and more, and will be a hugely important signing. I am worried for Richard Keogh. He is still a great player at this level, and even while things are not going well, he always shows for the ball, and always gives his all. But something has gone wrong foe him. Unless there is a major change, I can see a Davies/Tomori partnership once Davies is fit again.

Thankfully this has happened early on in the season, and it is only the second match of the season, so there is plenty of time for Frank and Jody to do their stuff. COYR!

They had two cynical fouls in the first ten minutes..nothing
    Would not have had any bearing on the result but where is the consistency..
    Not to mention them standing on top of the ball after every foul they committed .

Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2862
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 2:30 am

Why was Ledley playing after his dire performance against Redding...ffs he shouldnt be out there.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 288
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:15 am

Let's face it, we were outclassed by a much better outfit.

Whatever Bielsa has done, it is working as he is clearly getting much improved performances out of players that weren't doing it prior to his appointment.

We were poor, and looked exactly what we are...a side with too many individuals that is lacking in cohesion and is still trying to get use to systems.

Lawrence is great at running at players, but then he usually falls over and looks for a foul as he doesn't have the quality for that final ball. He remains our most dangerous player...I hope that changes.
    Wilson has played two halves of football and gone missing in two.
    Bryson, for all of his work-rate, is just not that great a midfield player. He wasn't a regular when on loan and shouldn't be at Derby. A very tidy squad player and can work as an impact sub.
    I felt for Ledley as he was being asked to provide cover for Lowe who, while wanting to bomb forward, must learn when it is safe to do that.

The problem with this Derby side is that we have players who are quite frankly (no pun intended) not good enough. As I said last week, singling them out is a little unfair when they are being asked so much with a new management team.

Am not sure why Lamps appears reluctant to start with his new players. He clearly thinks they are better than what he has, or he would not have brought them into the club.

My guess is that we'll see a very different Derby side in the coming games. I will go as far as to say that there are players who started this game that we will likely never see in a DCFC starting 11 again.

On a positive note, I thought Tomori showed more than a little promise. He is quick, and can distribute a football.

I just wonder if these first two games might have given Lamps food for thought about switching to a back 3. With the full backs we have, it might be a better option.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14997
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 8:12 am

I watched the game in an Irish bar on Leidseplein quoffing several jars of Kilkenny. For company I had 2 Americans from redneck country. They enjoyed the game. As did I.

This Leeds team has the look of a side that will do extremely well this season. However, we made life easy for them. The ref cannot be accused of being a homer.

Can't blame Carson for the defeat.
    The fullbacks are constantly looking to bomb on and leave us, basically, with a back 2. I think they are playing to orders and any blame lies with FL. As has already been suggested, a back 3 might be a good idea (Wisdom, Tomori, Davies?) We could then use Bogle at RWB and Lowe on the left. Evans at DM. Mount and Lawrence ahead of the DM in a sort of inside forward role. Pick any two of the strikers to play up top.
    We were overrun in midfield where they always seemed to have men over. Hardly surprising as they play 4 in MF to our 3. The problem is that we have stopped the pressing and harrying that undid Soton and the Dog'eads. We are also standing off opponents again. Their 1st for instance. Lowe lost the ball well inside their half. Two passes saw the ball at Klich's feet, centrally and 20 yards out AND in acres of space. He chose his spot and put it away well. All too often they had men in space to give the ball to.
    Only 1 of the 3 midfielders is a proper creative player. That is a problem IMO.
    Up front Lawro looked dangerous but after one too many kicks he disappeared. Waghorn did that "not jumping for headers" thing that Martin is so good at. Showed flashes. Wilson also started brightly but faded out.

The ref? As I said, definitely not a homer. Booked 5 of ours, most justified IMO. 2 of theirs, Bamford and Alioski, both late on. For the rest of the game he either didn't give us free kicks we should have had and when he did, he failed to card the offence despite it being worse than any of the offences Derby players got booked for.

On the positive side, we won't play a side that good every week.

RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

This is how Sky rated the players in both teams --

Player ratings

Derby:
    Carson (7), Wisdom (6), Tomori (7), Keogh (6), Lowe (6), Bryson (6), Wilson (6), Mount (6), Ledley (5), Lawrence (6), Waghorn (6)
    Subs: Jozefzoon (6), Johnson (6), Bennett (6)

Leeds:
    Peacock-Farrell (6), Ayling (6), Douglas (6), Cooper (7), Berardi (6), Phillips (7), Klich (7), Alioski (7), Hernandez (7), Saiz (8), Roofe (9)
    Subs: Shackleton (6), Bamford (6)

Man of the match: Kemar Roofe

Sky Sports match report and (?) highlights

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:30 am

This is how I rated the DCFC players --

Player ratings

Derby:
    Carson (7), Wisdom (6), Tomori (7), Keogh (5), Lowe (6), Bryson (6), Wilson (5), Mount (6), Ledley (5), Lawrence (6), Waghorn (6)
    Subs: Jozefzoon (5), Johnson (6), Bennett (6)

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5821
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:52 am

chicken wrote:I’ll stand by what I’ve said for the past 5 seasons. Whilst Keogh is in the starting 11, we are going nowhere.

The ‘more experienced’ players let the youngsters and the new boys down tonight.

The highlighted bit was never more true, Chicken, apart from our number 4.

Leeds started like an express train last season, then faded - sadly, I can't see that happening this term.

We would have lost by far more without Bryson.  Not premiership class I agree mcsilks, but he spent all evening trying to stick his fingers in a dyke  whilst facing a tsunami.  It would probably have been six or seven without him.

We knew it was coming though, didn't we.

I still enjoy the way we are playing, but the word "naive" comes to mind.  Our manager and some of our players are on a steep learning curve.

Tomori  looks class. I think RK must be cultivating an entire greenhouse full of four leaf clovers - we get a proper second centre half and our first one gets a muscle injury.

Waghorn knows his way around, too.  Definite improvements.

I like Lawrence, I want him to succeed. If he had the fearlessness of a Bryson, he''d be some player.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1980
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 12:19 pm

Just a point...age has nothing to do with who plays poorly etc, (although Ledley is absolutely bang average.).
    Max Lowe gave the ball away many times, one led to a goal.
    He can't defend and now his weakness in the air has cost us a goal in both games.
    I believe that is why we have signed a taller,quicker and better full back in Scott Malone.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14702
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 1:11 pm

valakari wrote:Just a point...age has nothing to do with who plays poorly etc, (although Ledley is absolutely bang  average.).
    He can't defend and now his weakness in the air has cost us a goal in both games.
    I believe that is why we have signed a taller,quicker and better full back in Scott Malone.

I agree entirely about Max Lowe. At times yesterday he was like a headless chicken, he was being dragged everywhere. I can’t wait to see Scott Malone play.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:
    I like Lawrence, I want him to succeed. If he had the fearlessness of a Bryson, he''d be some player.

A poor man's Gladys I fear. After a couple of hits he faded out of the game. At least Gladys would try swapping wings after a full back clattered him a couple of times. If he got clattered on that wing too, he would retire back into his own half and launch his pinpoint crosses from there. I don't think Lawro has that in his locker. Gladys was also two footed.............
    RRC
    Admin

Post by RRC on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 2:00 pm

chicken wrote:
    valakari wrote:Just a point...age has nothing to do with who plays poorly etc, (although Ledley is absolutely bang  average.).

I agree entirely about Max Lowe. At times yesterday he was like a headless chicken, he was being dragged everywhere. I can’t wait to see Scott Malone play.

Spot on, though I do wonder whether Lowe has been encouraged too
    much to concentrate on attacking. If so, he's not entirely to blame,
    though his positional sense and heading have looked very poor.

He reminds me a bit of McEveley, who only had eyes for the ball and had
    no idea where the player he was supposed to mark was (if he even knew
    who that was). Hopefully Lowe is young enough to improve, unlike McEv
    who only got worse.

If we want Lowe and Wisdom (or even Malone) to be so attacking at the
    expense of defending, like wing backs, we're probably playing the wrong
    formation, especially when quite a few of our players are pretty average
    by the standards of top championship clubs.

I hope Lampard (and Morris) are open to a vaiety of ideas about how
    we play, that they learn quickly about championship styles of play, and
    are not Johnny-One-Notes like Rowett and McClaren. There's no shame
    in trying to change when your ideas don't work.

bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3975
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 3:35 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

A poor man's Gladys I fear. After a couple of hits he faded out of the game. At least Gladys would try swapping wings after a full back clattered him a couple of times. If he got clattered on that wing too, he would retire back into his own half and launch his pinpoint crosses from there. I don't think Lawro has that in his locker. Gladys was also two footed.............

...all perfectly true, but he couldn't head a ball. I never saw Hinton score with his head like Lawrence did against Reading.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 4:05 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

...all perfectly true, but he couldn't head a ball. I never saw Hinton score with his head like Lawrence did against Reading.

I've not seen many players head a goal like Lawro's.........
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm

Tomori...was as lost as Lowe in that first 20 minutes Head was giving it some Exorcist moves he didn’t know where he was and for me was at fault ( along with Lowe) for that second goal...which was a killer goal in that it completely empowered them again and helped them push on.

Now admittedly he and the rest of the back four had nothing for protection in front of them...and he did improve and become a bit of a glimmer of light as the game wore on.
    But I will have to see more from him before I get carried away by his prospects.
    Think Lampard should have played Pearce yesterday along with Malone...

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

bramhallram wrote: I never saw Hinton score with his head like Lawrence did against Reading.

I had a sneaking feeling I had seen one so I put a post out on FB. An old friend remembers him running in from the left wing and planting a header firmly into the net at the Normanton End.

That description matches my sneaking feeling. Neither of us can remember who it was against.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

Yeah Hinton scored one Normo End once where he just dipped his head to a bouncing ball whilst almost standing next to the post.
    Durban scored a similar one.

New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 9:01 pm

Yeah Hinton scored one Normo End once where he just dipped his head to a bouncing ball whilst almost standing next to the post.
    Durban scored a similar one.

bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3975
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm

NER, I have to disagree with you about Tamori. Yes, he was partly at fault for their second goal but his pace, passing and positioning was much better than either Keogh or Pearce could manage.

I think he will be a key player for us this season.

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm

Didn't Hinton once score the perfect hat-trick, goal with his left, goal with his right and a headed goal, was that against Arsenal or Spurs?
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5821
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 6:49 am

bramhallram wrote:NER, I have to disagree with you about Tamori. Yes, he was partly at fault for their second goal but his pace, passing and positioning was much better than either Keogh or Pearce could manage.

I think he will be a key player for us this season.

Absolutely.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 12:46 am