Oldham 0-2 Derby (EFL Cup) reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Oldham 0-2 Derby (EFL Cup) reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 9:39 pm

A new look Derby started the EFL (Carabeo) Cup match at Oldham. Four players (Bogle, Malone,
    Evans and Marriott) made their Derby debuts alongside four recent signings (Tomori, Mount,
    Wilson and Josefzoon) --
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone
          Mount Evans Johnson
          Josefzoon Marriott Wilson
    subs –  Roos Pearce Forsyth Bird (76) Bennett (67) Waghorn (82) Lawrence

The first shot, a good effort by Oldham, was a free kick on 8 minutes which Carson had covered.
    Derby responded at once but the cross was too high for Marriott to head on target. The Rams were
    comfortable in their 4-2-3-1 formation rather than dominating. Some of their moves were too
    complicated, which often caused them to lose the ball, and their final passes weren’t good enough.
    The front three pressed the Oldham defence well to prevent them from playing out from the back.

From the middle of the half, the game became more open and Derby moved the ball quicker with
    Mount and Malone combining well to start attacks. The Oldham keeper was kept busy, and Marriott
    and Johnson should have scored. Oldham also made some promising attacks and Carson had to save
    a good strike by Benteke. Derby took the lead on 35 minutes when a cynical foul on Mount won a
    Rams free kick and an Oldham own goal followed from the excellent free kick delivered by Wilson.
    Mount had a good chance but his shot was a bit too high. A slip by Tomori and moment of sloppy play
    made an opening for Benteke who forced a fine save from Carson.
    HT Oldham 0–1 Derby

Oldham were more direct from the start of the second half and they kept the Rams on the back foot
    for a while, with Marriott the only outlet for Derby. Some of the Rams attacks broke down through
    misunderstandings between players, which is not surprising with only three senior regulars in the side.
    Mount made a clear opening for Wilson but he wasted the chance. Bennett replaced Wilson on 67
    minutes. Oldham continued to counter-attack and Carson had to make a brilliant fingertip save from
    Oldham’s right back.

Mount’s creative and technical skills were very important for the Rams through the whole game and
    he was rewarded when he bent a superb rasping shot to the bottom corner to double Derby’s lead on
    70 minutes. He created a fine chance with a free kick for Tomori, but Tomori’s shot was saved. Bird
    came on for Johnson on 76 minutes. Baxter’s fierce strike rattled the Derby crossbar as Oldham worked
    hard for a goal. Waghorn was Derby’s third substitution on 82 minutes, replacing Marriott. A great cross
    by Malone allowed Waghorn to net, but play was pulled back for an earlier foul, and Waghorn was just
    wide with another shot. The 4-2-3-1 formation worked well for these players against League 2 Oldham.
    FT Oldham 0–2 Derby

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Oldham 0-2 Derby (EFL Cup) reports and comments

Post by Stockport Ram on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 12:54 am

We are, more than we have been for a long time, a work in progress.

Overall, we didn't learn a lot of new things on Tuesday.

Some lovely football at times, occasionally over elaborate in the first half, but you can see what the plan is,  and I like it far more than this time last year. Whether it will work is a completely different question, and needs a large amount of luck, both with Mel having picked the right management team, and us having the players to make it work.

We are still short of the quality and/or depth required in a number of key positions, which makes Frank's job more difficult, because he needs to make a success with a squad "bullet holed" with deficiencies for his style.

As we stand,  this is the best I can make of it.

Back to tonight.  MOTM was a tough choice, because no one was outstanding.  Carson made two key saves, Mount did some wonderful things but also lost possession in key areas at times, Evans had a good first half apart from one key loss of possession late on which should have been punished (and he was quiet in the second half apart from one marvellous redeeming tackle), Malone showed glimpses of quality interspersed with moments of lack of composure, and Tomori slipped in the first half which could have resulted in a goal, but otherwise was a class above his fellow defenders.

Wilson should have scored. Marriott reminds me of the terrier-like Bobby Davison, but he has nowhere near enough physical presence to threaten Waghorn as our number nine.

All this hotch potch of information makes me think we need to ditch 433 once and for all.

Marriott with Waghorn. Three centre backs - Tomori, Davies  and either Wisdom or Evans,  with Pearce in reserve. Wilson can play right wing back, he has already shown he can defend  with that last ditch challenge against Leeds on Saturday.  Lowe or Malone as the left option.

This allows Tom to come into his element,  with Bryson and Mount alongside him.

If Tom isn''t mobile enough,  then play Evans.

I also have no problem with Bennet in the right wing back role, or as replacement for the front two.

We still look vulnerable to corners, long throws and set pieces,  especially when aimed at our left back.  Davies is a key component, and it will allow Tomori to replace Keogh, who basically abdicated heading responsibilities after the first 25 minutes tonight. He realised that his league two opponent was too strong for him in the air, which meant that Tomori had to cover both positions, aerially - a job which he did admirably.

Get Davies fit.  Play five across the middle. We still have a reasonable chance of a good season, but we have an awful lot to learn....and quickly.
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 852
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:27 am

Probably the configuration and style of play best suited to what this squad does and doesn't have to offer would be identical to Southgate's plan of attack of England in the World Cup: limit centre-halves' exposure, use pace and crosses to cover for a lack of great central midfield creativity, and focus attacks on one big forward man.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 1:36 am

Not bad, not great but a win is a win in the Cup.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 8:09 am

Going solely on the Radio Derby commo, which often isn't the best of barometers.......

A reasonable performance. No more than that. A lot of good things that might have led to more goals had either the final pass or the shot been of the necessary quality.

A lot of poorer things too. Failure to win headers at the back. Poor passes giving the ball away to the oppo which, in the League would have led to a goal against. Fortunately, Oldham were incapable of making us pay although they did force Carson into a couple of very good saves and also hit the bar.

In the course of the day I will be watching the highlights and, later, the full 90. More comments, if necessary will follow.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:04 pm

I listened to updates on Radio 5 Live from a truckstop near Plymouth ( all two of them?), and the girl doing the reports is either a Rams fan or fell in love with Mason Mount!

She describes Mount’s goal in glowing terms, described the win as “comfortable” and told us that the travelling fans absolutely “leerrvvved” Mounts goal, and seemed to be on the point of dribbling uncontrollably!

Bless her!

PS: I started listening to Talksport, but after giving info on virtually all of last nights ties, they didn’t mention Oldham c Derby on a single occasion. Stuff you, Talkspit, I’ll listen to Radio 5 Live!
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3958
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:59 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    PS: I started listening to Talksport, but after giving info on virtually all of last nights ties, they didn’t mention Oldham c Derby on a single occasion. Stuff you, Talkspit, I’ll listen to Radio 5 Live!

I think the producer on TalkCrap is a Notts Forest fan. It's very rare that we get a mention.

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sat 18 Aug 2018, 1:41 pm

No further comment from me. The honourable member for Stockport covered the important stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:00 am