RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 2-0 Ipswich reports and comments

Post by RRC on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 9:51 pm

Derby
    Carson Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth Evans Mount Bryson Bennett Nugent Lawrence
    Subs
    Roos Wisdom Lowe Ledley (26) Josefzoon Waghorn Marriott

Derby started on the front foot but their attacks mostly ended with heavy passes and
    poor first touch in the face of Ipswich's quick close-marking. When Ipswich attacked,
    their movement into space was quicker and their passing was more accurate than Derby's.
    They seemed calm and organized, playing within their abilities - Derby looked to be rushing
    and trying to play beyond their abilities. Lawrence wasted a free kick, blasting it into the wall
    instead of crossing. Derby's first corner was taken short but the move was telegraphed and
    Lawrence was easily robbed, which led to Bryson collecting a yellow card for a clear foul on
    the Ipswich player, who was about to skip past him.

Evans (injured) was replaced by Ledley on 26 minutes. A bad pass found Keogh caught in
    possession and he collected Derby's second yellow for hauling down his opponent. Ipswich
    finished the half better, helped by the Rams' mistakes. Derby had twice as much possession
    as their opponents but they seldom converted this into threatening attacks. Their best
    attacks were individual efforts by Nugent and Mount. The Rams had five shots (none on
    target) to Ipswich's six (one on target).
    HT Derby 0-0 Ipswich

The second half started with more scrappy play from Derby with Ipswich not much better.
    A needless foul on Forsyth won a free kick for Derby. Lawrence's cross was too heavy but the
    Rams got a corner from it, which was also too heavy (Lawrence again) but it led to another
    corner, this time a better effort by Mount. Ipswich cleared it but only as far as Ledley, who
    placed his superb shot in the top right corner to give Derby the lead on 59 minutes.

Lawrence broke forward but was blocked just outside the box for a free kick, which he took
    himself. The Ipswich keeper got both hands on the ball but let it trickle into the goal to
    double Derby's lead on 68 minutes. A minute later Josefzoon replaced Bennett, who had made
    little impact, The goals gave the Rams a much-needed boost in confidence and they showed
    far more energy and purpose.

Josefzon created a good chance for Mount, but his shot was wide, and he showed he could beat
    his full back and cross well. Marriott replaced Nugent on 75 minutes. Ipswich counter-attacked,
    as they had in the first half, but they got no reward as Derby defended better than in their recent
    games. Btw I thought the referee, Scott Duncan, was very good.
    FT Derby 2-0 Ipswich

The long-standing problem of poor first half performances just won't gp away. Perhaps Lampard
    should give his half-time team talk before the match. Perhaps he does but the players don't listen?

Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5792
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Re: Derby 2-0 Ipswich reports and comments

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:28 pm

Crikey.

That performance will be lucky to keep us out of the bottom six, but we all know that its very, very early days, and Frank is still trying to work out:

1.  Do we have the personnel  to play out from the back ?  (no).

2. What formation works best?  (442 , 4141, 352  but not 433).

3. Who are my best options in each formation?  (at this point, with 9 additions to a play off squad,  who the chuff knows?).

Anyone slating him has no idea of the mammoth task he has taken on.  He either ignores everything he believed in, and tweaks the Rowett Way, or decides to stick to his principles, and suffer the slings and arrows of predictable fortune..

If he is going to succeed, he needs to do the latter,  and be properly supported for long enough, even if that means flirting with relegation.

Two questions arise from this. Will Mel indulge him? ...and is he good enough?
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2482
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm

After the dull 1st half it was a much more improved 2nd, early days and players and managers getting to know each other, bright spark was bogle, nice to see a young un given a chance and Bennett was ok in flashes
    Nice to see the welsh contingent getting the goals
    Onwards and upwards
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4967
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:47 pm

Bogle, Bennett, Lawence Nugent with a workmanlike Bryson showed up well tonight but it was a game between two poor teams with the Rams getting the edge.

A clean sheet and scoring two cannot be sniffed at. A far better 2nd half, well done lads.
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3958
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:03 pm

RRC wrote:
    The long-standing problem of poor first half performances just won't gp away. Perhaps Lampard should give his half-time team talk before the match. Perhaps he does but the players don't listen?

I don't think listening is the problem. Understanding could be nearer the mark.

ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4087
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:04 pm

It was ok first half and improved second half. Our att king players did not impose themselves enough in the first half but did more second. I am reasonably encouraged by today, we did enough to win against a poor side and we can definitely play much better. I thought Evans looked good before he went off and think his injury was the cause of the first half drifting in to a dull affair as it broke up any momentum that we may have been starting to build.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5792
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:22 pm

bramhallram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    The long-standing problem of poor first half performances just won't gp away. Perhaps Lampard should give his half-time team talk before the match. Perhaps he does but the players don't listen?

I don't think listening is the problem. Understanding could be nearer the mark.

Thumbs up
    Mitten State Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 852
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 21 Aug 2018, 11:41 pm

RRC wrote:...Derby had twice as much possession
    as their opponents but they seldom converted this into threatening attacks...

I've heard this one before.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23425
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:26 am

90 minutes of my life I will never get back..awful game of football.
    End result proved that we are slightly less horrible than they are.
    I thought the sprinklers were tremendous and really busy at ht spreading it about.

Other than Bogle I thought everyone else was ordinary.
    I must be losing something over the Atlantic because I find Bennett very ordinary I don’t see what he’s bringing to the team.
    Only on two occasions have I seen anything from the lad from Brentford..pre season when he took on his full back and created a goal.
    And at Millwall Saturday when he chased one of their players down as he was breaking..other than that where is the speed and the trickery..

The one thing that remains consistent at Derby is our shit luck with injuries..just never goes away.

outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1464
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:27 am

i thought it was a poor game to watch and we seem to be all over the place and not looking solid at all. our passing is wayward and uncontrolled.
    but 3 pts and work in progress
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:34 am

Having set the alarm for 03:40 to watch this game, I eagerly and excitedly woke up to watch this game but then something happened to me which has never happened before.

I fell asleep after the quite wretched first half and therefore missed the apparently much improved second half display.

Maybe I have found a cure for my slight problem with insomnia...just watch a Derby match.

From the first half alone my questions were:

Does our new management really consider Mason Bennett to be a better choice than Josefzoon?

Same question but switching around Nugent and either of our new and rather expensive strikers?

Was Mount actually playing, as I'm sure I saw his name on the teamsheet?

I will reserve judgement until I have watched the full 90.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:07 pm

Well, that was better, but not much!

Frank said that he wanted us to start brightly, so we spent the first few minutes "Clementing", with the ball rolling from defender to defender. But within a few minutes we started to press forwards and played some good balls into their penalty area. There were a number of really good attempted through balls, but they didn't quite come off, but the ideas are there, and we could have been 2 or 3 up with a bit of luck. Although Ipswich managed one shot wide of goal, we created the better openings and looked most likely to score, with several shots going close.

However, after about 30 minutes we suddenly seemed to realise that there was a bus parked in the Ipswich half, and we then struggled to create any openings. How come after having a number of shots and opportunities we suddenly couldn't create any? it was the same bus as before. Just a little something for us to work on - we can break through a parked bus scenario, until we don't think we can. Ho hum!

What was obvious was tha although Mick McCarthy has gone, he hasn't left the building. There was loads of pushing, pulling, obstructing, and above all else shirt pulling. We ought to have our shirts made with velcro'd seams down the front and back so that the whole shirt comes apart and flutters in the wind every time the opposition pull the shirt of a Derby player. It would be the only way for the match officials to see what was going on. The response is likely to be the same - "Oh, its only a Derby shirt getting pulled, so it doesn't matter".

Ipswich were really poor, and only managed 2 shots in the first half, with a couple of players being the ones you always leave till last when you and your schoolmates were picking sides for a dinner time kick-about.

Our defence, on the whole, looked pretty good, with Tomori looking assured, apart from once in the second half when he ran into trouble. Bogle looks very settled, steady on the ball, and knows which direction his team is kicking. Not quite as "marauding" going forwards and still has lots to learn, but a good prospect, and it is great that the youngsters are getting a look in at long last. Nugent played several really clever lay-offs and through balls, although, as I said earlier, they didn't quite come to anything. The defence looked much more composed for much of the match, but that was probably because Ipswich weren't playing an "in your face" pressing game, so our defence had more time to play the ball well. So not so much of a test, but it meant that they had a load of practice time to get used to this "play it out from the back" philosophy. They also seemed a little more willing to give the ball the required belt out of the stadium from time to time, so good progress there.

As with Mount against Reading, Ledley showed the value of having a shot from distance, but it took a deflection for us to score. That was effectively game over because Ipawich didn't really offer very much of any real danger. Our second goal sealed things, this time with the help of a goal-keeping mistake, although that is twice that Lawrence has scored when it seems the keeper should have saved it. Maybe Lawrence is able to get a whole load of wicked movement on the ball, making a save really difficult.

However, which match were you watching, RRC? The ref was quite good? He should have gone to Specsavers! It was absolutely baffling just what it was he was giving Ipswich their free-kicks for, and almost as baffling how on earth he was not giving free-kicks to the Rams, although the yellow cards for Bryson and Keogh were fully justified. For example, every time Tomori went for a ball against their no 10, you could see his shirt being pulled several feet away from his body, but neither the ref nor his assistant gave anything until late in the second half. His ineptness was typified when Marriott was chasing a long ball with the Ipswich defender running alongside for 20 or 30 yards with his arm pressing down on Marriott's shoulder. Marriott swerved this and that to shake him off, but somehow it was an Ipswich free-kick. What? Are we ever actually going to have a decent ref at a Rams match?

Something else I have noticed is that the atmosphere has changed almost completely from last season. There are sessions of singing and chanting, but overall the crowds, even in the South Stand where I stand seem almost as though they aren't bothered about the result. We may have learned to hold or promotion prospects lightly, but the passion has gone. Another reason could be that there has been the creation of yet another "singing block". It used to be that there was just one block in the South Stand where all the noisy, rowdy types stood and it was fairly easy to get things going. Now we have a number of areas where people think "We are the singing block", so when we are actually "up for it", there are a number of different chants being started up, often in competition with each other, and with none of the blocks actually big enough to carry the chant forwards and keep it going.

Finally, another contentious issue - Richard Keogh. He had an awful match last night, and he is a totally different player to what he was last year. What has gone wrong with him?

Well let me make a suggestion: it is because of this "play it out from the back" mentality. He is no longer allowed to surge forwards to make things happen  by carrying the ball into the opposition half, or set someone free with a through ball, things which he excelled at last season, acting almost as a midfield player. Now, when he gets the ball in a position where he would set off on a run, he stops, almost scratching his head to remember what he is supposed to do now, hence the Chuckle Brothers "to you, to me, to you, to me" sideways passing, the misplaced pass or getting caught in possession. So instead of passing it around the defenders, as well as the occasional "Row Z" treatment, we still need to let Keogh loose, just to shake things up a bit so the opposition don't which way we are going to go. Some of his body language last night said that he wasn't happy, and that he will soon have had enough. He didn't even acknowledge the fans last night, instead leaving the pitch really quickly. Come on, Richard, keep your head up!

A good thing about last night is that this was three points which we should have won, and which we did win, where in the past we could, and often would, end up with much less, so that is progress. There are signs, of what we can do and when it clicks, there will be a cricket score. Which season that will take place in is not clear. We have the potential to be really good, but are, as the buzz word says" a work in progress. Lets get ourselves behind the lads, and behind Frank and Jody, and look forwards to progress being made.

COME ON YOU RAMS!
    bramhallram

First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3958
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:48 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    However, which match were you watching, RRC? The ref was quite good? He should have gone to Specsavers! It was absolutely baffling just what it was he was giving Ipswich their free-kicks for, and almost as baffling how on earth he was not giving free-kicks to the Rams, although the yellow cards for Bryson and Keogh were fully justified.  Are we ever actually going to have a decent ref at a Rams match?

I agree with all that, and I would add "When are we going to get a ref who penalises teams for blatant time wasting ?"

Ipswich were doing it from the kick off. In the first ten minutes the ball went out for an Ipswich throw in and nobody moved to get it for ages. Then every time their goalie had the ball he held onto it for so long I thought it was stuck to his gloves.

I know time is supposed to be added on, but if the ref yellow carded the first offender it just might change such negative attitudes.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6451
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 11:42 am

bramhallram wrote:
    DavesaRam wrote:
    However, which match were you watching, RRC? The ref was quite good? He should have gone to Specsavers! It was absolutely baffling just what it was he was giving Ipswich their free-kicks for, and almost as baffling how on earth he was not giving free-kicks to the Rams, although the yellow cards for Bryson and Keogh were fully justified.  Are we ever actually going to have a decent ref at a Rams match?

I agree with all that, and I would add "When are we going to get a ref who penalises teams for blatant time wasting ?"

Ipswich were doing it from the kick off. In the first ten minutes the ball went out for an Ipswich throw in and nobody moved to get it for ages. Then every time their goalie had the ball he held onto it for so long I thought it was stuck to his gloves.

I know time is supposed to be added on, but if the ref yellow carded the first offender it just might change such negative attitudes.

If the keeper holds  it for more than 6 seconds it's  supposed to be an indirect free kick.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14938
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 23 Aug 2018, 8:53 pm

Better late than never......

1st half was a whole bunch of nothing. They came for a 0-0 draw and we had both full backs defending so not a lot happened. Lawrence wasn't at the races, Nuge and Bennett kept getting into good positions and either got poor ball or no ball at all.

2nd half, the full backs pushed on, Lawro woke up and only one side was going to win it. Two great strikes aided and abetted by deflections were no more than we deserved.

Bogle was my man of the match.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 14 Nov 2018, 11:57 am