Derby made one change from the team that started against Ipswich,
    with Ledley starting instead of the injured Evans--
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth
          Bryson Ledley Mount
          Bennett Nugent Lawrence
          subs— Roos Wisdom (30) Lowe Johnson Josefzoon Waghorn Marriott
    Preston had to make four changes from the team that lost to Norwich
    on Tuesday because they have a growing injury list.

Derby were lively from the start without threatening the Preston goal. The visitors were also in attacking
    mood, driving down the wings. Forsyth and Bogle stopped runs but Lawrence conceded a couple of silly
    free kicks in dangerous areas. Derby had their usual spell of sloppy passing, giving the ball away cheaply,
    and Preston started time-wasting as early as 10 minutes.

Bogle beat several players and laid on a chance for Bennett, but his shot hit Mount and was deflected over
    the bar. A Bogle foul gave Preston another free kick level with the penalty spot, but Keogh headed the
    cross away safely. A good move started by Ledley earned Derby a corner but Lawrence over-hit the cross.
    A brilliant save by Carson prevented a fine Preston attack from giving them the lead. On 30 minutes
    Wisdom replaced Bogle (injured). A rare fast break saw Carson pass to Bennett, who found Nugent,
    he set up Mount with a fine chance and the Preston keeper fumbled the ball into the net on 38 minutes.

This was a better first half performance by Derby, but playing out from the back every time has become
    so predictable that it allows opponents to put the Rams defence under great pressure. A better side than
    Preston would have punished us. Bryson and Mount exerted very little control in midfield, not providing
    an outlet for the defence or creating much for the attack, which handed the initiative to Preston.
    HT Derby 1–0 Preston

Preston came out early for the second half and attacked from the start but their shooting continued to let
    them down. Johnson replaced Ledley after just 3 minutes. Nugent and Mount began to combine well and
    quickly on the left. They set up Bennett for a couple of chances but the Preston keeper saved the first and
    Bennett scuffed his next shot wide. Tomori pushed forward, beat two men and set up Bryson, whose shot
    was deflected for a corner. Bryson had another chance from the corner but he sliced high over the bar.

Derby had some luck on the hour mark when Johnson gave the ball away and the unmarked Burke shot
    wide. Lawrence delivered a decent corner but none of the Rams could capitalize. Bennett and Wisdom
    worked some promising moves down the right without creating any scoring chances. Derby were well on
    top as the half ended and Keogh added another goal with a fine header from their seventh corner on 78
    minutes. Josefzoon came on for Bennett with ten minutes to go. Keogh just missed with another header
    from a corner. Lawrence missed with a chance that he created for himself and was off target with another
    made by Mount. Mount made an opening for Nugent, who improvised to lob the keeper but his lob landed
    on top of the net.

Mount and Bryson were more positive in the second half, they got further forward and it made a big
    difference, sparking Derby's most confident effort of this season. A weak Preston team passed neatly but
    they rarely tested the Rams defence and their shooting was no threat, which makes it hard to assess the
    improvement in Derby’s performance. The win moves Derby into 6th place.
    FT Derby 2–0 Preston

outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1464
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Re: Derby 2-0 Preston reports and comments

Post by outsider on Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Good win.. Getting better as weeks go on. Thought we pressured them more second half.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:45 pm

I hope Bogle isn't out for long, he and Bennett are making a nifty little partnership down the right.
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 286
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:25 am

First half we were dreadful. Our football was completely disjointed and we couldn't string 3 passes together. I though we were lucky to go in ahead, as Preston created the better chances and we scored with our only decent move of the half.

I had to smile at some of the comments from the reporters on the Rams TV. 'an absorbing first half', 'we fully deserve to be in front', I guess they were watching a different game to me.

Second half we were better, but I still felt that this was down to the poor opposition rather than our good play.

We were more positive in the second half, that's about it.

When I look at the starting line up, our performance is of little surprise. I don't rate Bennett at all, despite some saying he was the MOTM. It worries me that Lampard starts him at all, even more so that he is keeping a new signing on the bench.

I don't understand all the fuss over Bogle. He is decent, that is it. The commentary team were waxing lyrical over a run he made in the 1st half. What they failed to mention is that he lost the ball att he end of it. Giving Bogle a starting place speaks less about his abiliy, more about the lack of faith Lampard has in other right sided full backs.

Nugent still get's in the side which surprises me. I applaud his endeavor but seriously Derby, after all of the outlay this season on forwards, are we really saying that this journeyman championship pro is our best option?!

Our midfield is dreadful. They cannot pass a football, and offer little.

And than I wake up this morning and read that Lampard called this performance 'outstanding'. Well, I never. He cannot seriously think that. He is trying to boost his players' confidence.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the style of play. It's neither offensive or defensive. It certainly makes me want to sleep and judging by the fact that whenever the cameras panned to the fans in the ground, they were looking at their phones and not the game, they feel the same. It's like they were playing in a deserted stadium such was the hush in that first half.

When we come up against anything in this league resembling quality, we will get stuffed, much like we did against Leeds. Despite the victory, am still shaking my head over the performance.

Another performance whereby I started watching it in an excited mood, but it gradually sent me into a vegatitive, somewhat comatosed state.
    Stockport Ram

First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5792
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:36 am

mcsilks wrote:First half we were dreadful. Our football was completely disjointed and we couldn't string 3 passes together. I though we were lucky to go in ahead, as Preston created the better chances and we scored with our only decent move of the half.

I had to smile at some of the comments from the reporters on the Rams TV. 'an absorbing first half', 'we fully deserve to be in front', I guess they were watching a different game to me.

Second half we were better, but I still felt that this was down to the poor opposition rather than our good play.

We were more positive in the second half, that's about it.

When I look at the starting line up, our performance is of little surprise. I don't rate Bennett at all, despite some saying he was the MOTM. It worries me that Lampard starts him at all, even more so that he is keeping a new signing on the bench.

I don't understand all the fuss over Bogle. He is decent, that is it. The commentary team were waxing lyrical over a run he made in the 1st half. What they failed to mention is that he lost the ball att he end of it. Giving Bogle a starting place speaks less about his abiliy, more about the lack of faith Lampard has in other right sided full backs.

Nugent still get's in the side which surprises me. I applaud his endeavor but seriously Derby, after all of the outlay this season on forwards, are we really saying that this journeyman championship pro is our best option?!

Our midfield is dreadful. They cannot pass a football, and offer little.

And than I wake up this morning and read that Lampard called this performance 'outstanding'. Well, I never. He cannot seriously think that. He is trying to boost his players' confidence.

I'm not quite sure how to describe the style of play. It's neither offensive or defensive. It certainly makes me want to sleep and judging by the fact that whenever the cameras panned to the fans in the ground, they were looking at their phones and not the game, they feel the same. It's like they were playing in a deserted stadium such was the hush in that first half.

When we come up against anything in this league resembling quality, we will get stuffed, much like we did against Leeds. Despite the victory, am still shaking my head over the performance.

Another performance whereby I started watching it in an excited mood, but it gradually sent me into a vegatitive, somewhat comatosed state.  

Not seen The Full 90 yet, but can it really have been as poor as the Ipswich performance?
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:58 am

Stockport Ram wrote:
    Not seen The Full 90 yet, but can it really have been as poor as the Ipswich performance?

Not dissimilar Stockport. The first half v Preston was really dire, and on a par with the Ipswich performance. Preston were slightly the better side, and they should really have scored.

Second half we improved, but still struggled to find our own players when passing a football.

We somehow are managing to play in a style that both limits our oppositions chances and at the same time, limits our own.

No doubt I'll be branded negative as per usual for being critical of a winning side. Nothing new there then.
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6451
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by CornwallRam on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:47 pm

I think that the Preston manager deserves a massive b***ocking for that. They only made a half hearted attempt to press our centre halves and gave us a lot of space to play. We showed that we have some decent footballers if they are allowed the chance to play. The team as it stands is there for the taking and we'll lose a lot more than we win. Yet there were enough good signs to indicate that if we can add a bit of nastiness, especially in the midfield, we might have the makings of a successful side.

I reckon that Craig Forsyth has made a big difference. Defensively, he's probably the best of our left backs. He also adds a considerable aerial presence. His crosses also cause constant problems for the opposition and he looks fit once again. OK, he still makes the odd inept pass which puts the opposition through and will cost some goals over the season. He's also not very good against a 'jinky' type winger. Yet his biggest contribution is to take the pressure of his defensive colleagues by always providing and emergency out ball. He almost functions as a big centre forward, but on the left touchline. When we're under pressure the players know where he'll be and can hoof the ball towards him, safe in the knowledge that he'll win 95% of high ball challenges and take the pressure off for a few seconds.

Forsyth could be the reason that Preston weren't able to harry Keogh into mistakes after the first ten minutes. Keogh started very poorly and nearly lost us the match in the first few minutes, but grew into the match. His obvious jubilation at scoring his goal was great to sea though.

I thought that Nugent was our MOTM. He had the energy of teenager, but know how of a veteran. I'm impressed that Lampard has been professional enough to leave his own signings on the bench and select the player in form.

I was also impressed with Bogle. Clearly he's not the finished article, but he defended well and attacked like Cyrus Christie. Fortunately, he's still got a few years to add end product to Cyrus's impressive but usually pointless dribbley surges.

I'm still struggling to see a footballer in Mason Bennett. He also looks a bit slower than he was. I reckon he's spent too long in the gym and is too bulky.

I still think that Lampard's appointment was a stupid move on Mel's part. Yet it's hard not to warm to a man that starts the bounce.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14938

Post by MadAmster on Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:54 am

Opening 25 they profited from half a dozen awful passes we attempted and, in that period, had the only shot that forced Carson into serious action.

The opening goal was easily the highlight of the 1st half. Bennett chases down a ball on the right, some 15 yards from his own goal line, moves puesoefully down the wing and, just inside his own half, gives Nugent a brilliant pass, he crosses to Mount and it's in the back of the net via the keeper's left leg. I'm struggling to see how anybody could not see that as the act of a footballer. He chased and harried, just as he did against Ipswich. This time he got a couple of decent balls which is more than he or Nugent got against Ipswich. The move that led to the goal started because he was back helping the defence. It continued because he kept control down the wing. Gained speed due to a fine pass that led to the cross.....

I agree with those who say the 1st half wasn't much to write home about.

2nd half was better. BJ continues to disappoint IMO. Somehow you just know that a yellow card is never far away.... and it wasn't. Bogle started brightly, got injured and was replaced by Wisdom who had, MO, his best performance of this season so far. Keogh started poorly but after the opening 25 grew into the game, got a goal and should have had a 2nd. Tomori was steady, made a few mistakes, which is not unexpected from someone who is still learning the game, but he managed to get back and sort it out himself. Fozzy is looking close to his best. Not happy with either BJ or Ledley at DM. Th 2 best we have are both injured. Bryson is looking sharp but isn't the player of 3 or 4 seasons ago.... yet? Mount is one for the future and is, like Tomori, still learning. Lawro too is, hopefully, learning. He still has the tendency to go too far when there were ample opportunities to place a telling pass. Nuge and Bennett bith work their asses off and would be helped greatly if they were given some half decent ball.

My MOTM - Bennett.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am

According to the DET, we have only bettered 9 points from our first 5 games once in the last 37 years.

That is a remarkable stat and in my opinion shows that we are doing ok. It would be easy to find fault in the 5 games so far but most of us recognise that this is going to take time so for us to be sitting on 9 points is a great achievement.

Yes thete will be the predictable few who will tell us all how sh*t we are, win, lose or draw. They will predict a season of struggle (as they do every year), however as long as the sensible majority hold sway, we will hopefully gain the reward that common sense and patience deserves.

Lampard has produced some positives and some negatives, but anybody really think that this wouldn't be the case? The players, mostly bought for a certain style and formation are now having to adapt which will take time. Did anybody really think that this wouldn't be the case?

I have absolutely no problem sitting through some poor performances at this stage in the season because I know that, unlike his predecessor, Lampard intends to entertain, to win playing attractive football.

Thats fine by me, I'm more than happy to wait
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:44 am

CornwallRam wrote:I think that the Preston manager deserves a massive b***ocking for that. They only made a half hearted attempt to press our centre halves and gave us a lot of space to play. We showed that we have some decent footballers if they are allowed the chance to play. The team as it stands is there for the taking and we'll lose a lot more than we win. Yet there were enough good signs to indicate that if we can add a bit of nastiness, especially in the midfield, we might have the makings of a successful side.

I reckon that Craig Forsyth has made a big difference. Defensively, he's probably the best of our left backs. He also adds a considerable aerial presence. His crosses also cause constant problems for the opposition and he looks fit once again. OK, he still makes the odd inept pass which puts the opposition through and will cost some goals over the season. He's also not very good against a 'jinky' type winger. Yet his biggest contribution is to take the pressure of his defensive colleagues by always providing and emergency out ball. He almost functions as a big centre forward, but on the left touchline. When we're under pressure the players know where he'll be and can hoof the ball towards him, safe in the knowledge that he'll win 95% of high ball challenges and take the pressure off for a few seconds.

Forsyth could be the reason that Preston weren't able to harry Keogh into mistakes after the first ten minutes. Keogh started very poorly and nearly lost us the match in the first few minutes, but grew into the match. His obvious jubilation at scoring his goal was great to sea though.

I thought that Nugent was our MOTM. He had the energy of teenager, but know how of a veteran. I'm impressed that Lampard has been professional enough to leave his own signings on the bench and select the player in form.

I was also impressed with Bogle. Clearly he's not the finished article, but he defended well and attacked like Cyrus Christie. Fortunately, he's still got a few years to add end product to Cyrus's impressive but usually pointless dribbley surges.

I'm still struggling to see a footballer in Mason Bennett. He also looks a bit slower than he was. I reckon he's spent too long in the gym and is too bulky.

I still think that Lampard's appointment was a stupid move on Mel's part. Yet it's hard not to warm to a man that starts the bounce.

If only I'd seen the Full 90 before Corners, my sentiments would have mirrored the highlighted section,  although they would not have been written so well.

For the balance he gives to the team, Fozzy edges MOTM from Nuge in my book. Nuge  does the little smart things well - after Larewnce had battered his full back for the third time in the first 10 minutes (silly, silly challenges,  and he' really can't complain if he gets some when he acts like that), Nuge went over and calmly helped their no.2 to his feet to diffuse the situation, and in all possibility enable Tom to escape a booking.  These are the things people  don't see which, added to his all round performance, is rightly keeping the two newbies on the bench.

Bennett had a much better game than against Ipswich, when he was caught in possession and failed to get hold of the ball in front of his defender when back to goal on a number of occasions.

Keogh settled after a shocker of a first 15 minutes,  although Bradders emulated him in the first 15 of the second half.

Anyone heard how bad George Evans'  injury is?  We really need him if Frank is silly enough to let Huddlestone go.

Mount and Tomori, despite their inexperience which shows, continue to produce football on a higher plane than their team mates.
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:56 am

Loughborough Ram wrote:

Yes thete will be the predictable few who will tell us all how sh*t we are, win, lose or draw. They will predict a season of struggle (as they do every year), however as long as the sensible majority hold sway, we will hopefully gain the reward that common sense and patience deserves.

I don't think I have heard many predict a season of struggle...and cannot remember anyone predicting this on a season on season basis.

What I have heard however, is fans stating their opinions about some of the decisions Lampard is making with his team selections.

I am one of these. I don't agree with a few of his selections, and our performances thus far have been wholly underwhelming.

Just because we aren't looking at the bigger picture doesn't mean that we cannot comment on the here and now...
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14938

Post by MadAmster on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:

Anyone heard how bad George Evans'  injury is?

I saw an FL video interview in which he said 4 to 6 weeks.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 852
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:40 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

About our squad being too big...
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:44 am

9 points from 5 matches isn't too bad seeing as we are only 4 points from the current league leaders. Are we a finished product no, is there going to be some growing pains yes but jfc slating off the team 5 matches in when we are 6th is just sad. I would rather struggle now and put everything together at seasons end. The way some of you talk you would think we haven't won jack and are sitting bottom of the table.
    outsider

First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1464
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:32 am

Calif_Ramette wrote:9 points from 5 matches isn't too bad seeing as we are only 4 points from the current league leaders. Are we a finished product no, is there going to be some growing pains yes but jfc slating off the team 5 matches in when we are 6th is just sad. I would rather struggle now and put everything together at seasons end. The way some of you talk you would think we haven't won jack and are sitting bottom of the table.

I think alot more fans will give time to FL compared to previous managers as he has changed the team brought in younger exciting players and the club is on for the first time in my opinion a so called transition. Over the years we have been close to promotion and slide backwards and we needed a change. Yes there is some critical of the team/tactics as it's not been particularly good at times but it's work in progress and the club have got a buzz back which for me had been lost and many others I meet regular. 
    Early days top 6 and slowly getting better.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:53 am

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

Nervous Oh God, its not the curse of the DM's knee all over again....?,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 am