Rotherham 1-0 Derby reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16356
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Rotherham 1-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 5:01 pm

Derby made four changes to the team that started the championship match against Hull with
    Bogle, Forsyth, Huddlestone and Lawrence replacing Wisdom, Malone, Bryson and Nugent.
    Keogh made his 300th appearance for the Rams.
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth
          Huddlestone Mount Johnson
          Josefzoon Waghorn Lawrence
          subs-- Roos Wisdom Ledley Malone Holmes Bennett Marriott
    Rotherham made a couple of changes to their side that lost 0-1 at 10th-placed Wigan.

Derby went on the attack from the start with Rotherham backing off. Mount took a pot shot
    at the first opportunity, Josefzoon linked well and forced a defender to foul him. Rotherham
    almost took advantage of the big gap Derby left between their back four and midfield. The
    Rams had masses of possession but they couldn't penetrate the well-organized, packed
    defence, because their final passes were not accurate. The home side used long balls very
    well, troubling the Derby defence, and they had the best early chances.

After 15 minutes, Rotherham looked the more efficient side and the Rams helped them by
    getting slower and very sloppy. Mount had another long shot but it was straight at the keeper,
    and he made an excellent chance for Huddlestone, who forced a great save from the keeper.
    At the other end, Carson had to rescue Derby with a good save. Derby conceded too many
    set pieces in dangerous areas. They were lucky that Rotherham mostly wasted them, though
    Carson was forced to make another fine save and there were several near misses. Lawrence
    made a good chance for himself but the keeper palmed it away. Overall Rotherham had the
    edge in the first half, because they worked harder and were quicker than Derby, who were
    lacking in effort and quality, with the Rams midfield (apart from Mount) creating little and the
    defence tending to panic. Derby were lucky to finish the half level.
    HT Rotherham 0-0 Derby

Derby attacked from the start again, this time getting forward in numbers but, once again,
    they stood off when defending and Carson had to pull off another great save. Lawrence won
    a rather dubious free kick a yard outside the area. He slammed the kick into the wall, and
    then he was sent off for a stupid tackle, when he scythed down a player from behind after
    the ball had gone on 58 minutes. Waghorn and Vassell were also booked for their part in the
    melee that followed. The line referee flagged for a penalty, apparently for a push by Tomori
    in the area, and Manning scored it on 63 minutes. Mount and Keogh were booked for some
    reason and the Derby fans reacted by fighting among themselves in the stands and throwing
    seats on to the pitch.

Marriott and Bennett replaced Wagstaff and Josefzoon on 64 minutes. Derby tried to attack
    despite going down to ten men but the quality of the final balls wasn't quite good enough.
    Holmes came on for Huddlestone on 73 minutes. Lampard was sent to the stands when he
    followed the line referee to speak to him. Carson made a brilliant one-handed save from
    Manning. Mount, Bogle and Marriott combined to launch a good attack but Marriott shanked
    his shot. The Rams pressed hard, trying to snatch an equalizer. Johnson was booked for
    haranguing the fourth official. Mount played a neat one-two and his shot was deflected, but
    the corner was poor as usual.
    FT Rotherham 1-0 Derby

A sluggish first half performance turned into a worse one in the second as Derby lost control
    and discipline. They had no real answer to the determined, well-organized and direct play of
    the home side. Most of the top sides dropped points today, and Derby went from 4th to 7th,
    though still only 3 points behind the leaders, Leeds.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11680
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Re: Rotherham 1-0 Derby reports and comments

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:18 pm

Fed up with the sanctimonious rubbish spouted on Radio Derby. At one point Ed Dawes said that our indiscipline was "not something you want your children to see", for f*cks sake!!!!! A bad challenge which was a sending off today but may not have been on another, a manager sent off for wandering down the touchline to ask the linesman a question, and Bradley Johnson snarling about every decision, dear me, get over yourselves.

I remember watching the fight between Franny Lee and Norman Hunter as a child, I watched Mark Wright to run 20 yards to punch a Norwich player in the face for fouling his best mate, and I loved it. Todays indescretions won't even be remembered this time next year let alone scar our poor young snowflakes for life.

We paid the ultimate sanction for Lawrences moment of madness, we lost the game.

We will lose games under Lampard, no need to go overboard, win on Tuesday and forget today. Probably the biggest lesson from today, Frank has to realise that Derby get sh*t refs.............a lot, so he just has to learn to deal with it unfortunately. He gets lots of goodwill from the media, players, and fans but refs are different, they see him as a way to make a name for themselves so he has to do his best to prevent that.

3 points lost, not the end of the world, bring on Blackburn.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2862
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Other than sh*& refs Im still not sure how the Rotherham player who punched Lawrenece in the back of the head right before half wasn't given at least a yellow.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 9:38 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Fed up with the sanctimonious rubbish spouted on Radio Derby. At one point Ed Dawes said that our indiscipline was "not something you want your children to see", for f*cks sake!!!!! A bad challenge which was a sending off today but may not have been on another, a manager sent off for wandering down the touchline to ask the linesman a question, and Bradley Johnson snarling about every decision, dear me, get over yourselves.

I remember watching the fight between Franny Lee and Norman Hunter as a child, I watched Mark Wright to run 20 yards to punch a Norwich player in the face for fouling his best mate, and I loved it. Todays indescretions won't even be remembered this time next year let alone scar our poor young snowflakes for life.

We paid the ultimate sanction for Lawrences moment of madness, we lost the game.

We will lose games under Lampard, no need to go overboard, win on Tuesday and forget today. Probably the biggest lesson from today, Frank has to realise that Derby get sh*t refs.............a lot, so he just has to learn to deal with it unfortunately. He gets lots of goodwill from the media, players, and fans but refs are different, they see him as a way to make a name for themselves so he has to do his best to prevent that.

3 points lost, not the end of the world, bring on Blackburn.

Spot on

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14702
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:35 am

I’m equally fed up with folks condoning Lampard’s actions. You can’t walk down the touch line to have a go at the linesman, whether you think they’ve made a bad decision or not. The technical area is there for a reason. We all know that. If an opposition manager had done it at Pride Park or, for instance, Mourhino does it at Old Trafford, we’d be outraged. He’d be called arrogant or worse.

Bang out of order in my opinion.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 14997
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:55 am

Route One 1- Football 0

Not an unusual state of affairs in football.

Looking at how the game went, the teams drawing at HT was about right IMO. A couple of decent efforts from both sides but nothing that caused the keepers to blush.

Derby had the possession and the nice football. Gaps between the lines and between players in a the lines allowed the Millers to play their long ball game and our zonal marking made it all the more easy for them to look dangerous.

2nd half started much the same as the first and 12 minutes into the half the teams were still, rightly, level. Then came Lawros rush of blood. A totally unnecessary challenge well after the ball had gone, studs up, back of the leg........ ref got that one right. Then came the penalty, noticed by the assistant referee and taken on board by the ref. I am not going to complain about the decision itself as when your hand is in the small of an opponent's back and is moving in a forwards direction and the player goes down, a penalty is always likely to be given. Sometimes you get away with it. We didn't. It was one of those decisions that looks a soft one that can be given. What I will say about it is that it looked to me to be less of a penalty than the incident where Mount was felled in the first half.

Then we saw how FLs football mind works. First two fromt men pulled off and replaced by fresh legs in like for like changes. Shortly afterwards, Hudds was subbed and he brought Holmes on. Go for the draw and hope for the win. All to no avail unfortunately.

They had 6 shots on target from 16. We had 4 from 12. We had a lot of ball (63%) but didn't do enough with it. We are our own worst enemies in backing off. Zonal marking is OK but noy, IMO, in the defensive third of the pitch.

All in all I found the match entertaining.

Carson - 8 Did what he had to. Pulled off some good saves. Distribution good, especially some of his longer throws
    Bogle - 8 Turning into a very good player right before our eyes. Good both defensively and in attack.
    Keogh - 7 Steady in defence, solid on the ball. Far fewer mislaced passes
    Tomori - 6 Would make life easier for himself if he didn't commit too soon and then have to perform heroics to rectify....
    Forsyth - 8 Had a very good game. 3 or 4 very necessary "saves" inside the box. Shame about the penalty
    Huddlestone - 5 Not at his best. Some good tackling and heading but his passing game was off and his lack of matches showed
    Johnson - 6 Did the job satisfactorily
    Jozefzoon - 5 Where was the man exciting us in a couple of games immediately prior to the international break?
    Mount - 8 He is not yet the finished article but he is still very good. A joy to watch.
    Lawrence - 4 Pretty ineffective until he clattered one of theirs for a deserved red card
    Waghorn - 6 Busy performance but nothing special

Subs used
    Holmes - great at Hull reserves. Totally ineffective against the Millers
    Bennett - Busy, getting into position, getting the ball but his crosses were mainly cut out leading to corners. Twice in a good position centrally but the final ball to him never arrived.
    Marriott - As with his other performances so far, he is a busy little bee but lacking end product. I hope this is down to his not having trained properly and not getting game time pre season.

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11680
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 11:01 am

chicken wrote:I’m equally fed up with folks condoning Lampard’s actions.  You can’t walk down the touch line to have a go at the linesman, whether you think they’ve made a bad decision or not. The technical area is there for a reason. We all know that. If an opposition manager had done it at Pride Park or, for instance, Mourhino does it at Old Trafford, we’d be outraged. He’d be called arrogant or worse.

Bang out of order in my opinion.

I wouldn't to be fair chicken, I hate the fact that officials are unquestionable and the fact that fourth official seems to be there just to tell tales and wind up managers.

I don't condone what Lampard did because it is clearly against the rules but it wasn't exactly the crime of the century was it, and as he said, if leaving the technical area is a sending off then it should apply to everybody. Unfortunately as we know referees chose to punish some people more than others, which is ok apparently.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14702
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 11:21 am

No, it isn’t the crime of the century, but he didn’t just step outside his technical area, he was level with the 18 yard box when he was sent off. I find it baffling that he would think this was ok to do given the way the match was going and the new rules to clamp down on the behaviour of coaches and managers on the bench. Whether, under the new rules, it’s a red card offence, I don’t know. I also don’t know whether the bench had been spoken to previously as I wasn’t there, although reports say they were.

Pride Park would be up in arms if an opposition manager had done it.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 1:13 pm

Like I said elsewhere..if Lampard broke the rules and had been warned prior to the incident then the red is justified.
    If that was the first time he had done it during the game then surely a warning is in order ( shouldn’t there at least be a yellow card option ) as there is for any player who makes a foul on the pitch at the refs discretion.
    Of course if he called the linesman a four letter word then again it’s justified.

Lastly I will look forward to seeing Klopp being shown the Red card when he runs down the sideline like a soft prat after they score a goal. Wink

SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:42 pm

chicken wrote:No, it isn’t the crime  of the century, but he didn’t  just step outside his technical area, he was level with the 18 yard box when he was sent off.  I find it baffling that he would think this was ok to do given the way the match was going and the new rules to clamp down on the behaviour of coaches and managers on the bench.  Whether, under the new rules, it’s a red card offence, I don’t know. I also don’t know whether the bench had been spoken to previously as I wasn’t there, although reports say they were.

Pride Park would be up in arms if an opposition manager had done it.

I'm with you on this Chicken, not the crime of the century but the crime of a very, very inexperienced manager, there is more to learn than how to manage a football team. His flash point of passion should be kept in his pocket.

P.S. Lamps last red card was back in 2009 in a Liverpool vs Chelsea match. Not quite the same is it Frank?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 4:51 pm

It appears that it was the 3rd time one of the staff had left the technical area. #1 and #2 were by Chris Jones. Ref issued no warning. Lamps was #3 and got the card. No idea if that is the measuring stick used for this.......

Accept it, £500 fine and no ban.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1980
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 3:18 pm

Were Bryson and Nugent injured as they weren't in the squad? Or being saved for Blackburn game?
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 8:20 pm

valakari wrote:Were Bryson and Nugent injured as they weren't in the squad? Or being saved for Blackburn game?

According to an FL interview "Bryson picked up a knock in training and Nugent wasn't selected" He doesn't feel he should have to justify any changes he might make to the press.......
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5821
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 17 Sep 2018, 9:18 pm

We certainly missed the chasing down and leading from the front which Nugent provides (and in my view the energy which Bryson would have given).

What annoys me more than anything is that the XI on the pitch just didn't play to the whistle. Its almost the first thing you are taught. It was epitomised by the Johnson booking - whether it was out of play or not is immaterial, just don't do it.

We were bullied, out thought and basically made to look rather silly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 11 Dec 2018, 1:12 am