Derby 3-1 Brentford reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 3-1 Brentford reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 5:16 pm

Derby made one change to Tuesday's starting eleven with Wilson replacing Josefzoon.
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Forsyth
          Bryson Mount Johnson
          Wilson Nugent Bennett
          subs Roos Wisdom Malone (76) Huddlestone Josefzoon (74) Waghorn Marriott (83)

Brentford attacked down the left from straight away, won a corner and scored from it in
    the first minute. Carson had no chance with Dalsgaard's header. At first Derby responded
    by standing off, giving the Bees plenty of room and being robbed easily. Johnson and Mount
    made a chance for Wilson but the keeper made a brilliant save from Wilson's swerving shot.
    The Rams then had a good spell, pressing harder, moving quicker to receive the ball and
    making better passes, notably through Johnson.

Wilson and Bryson combined to break forward from a Brentford corner, Wilson skipped
    inside two players and scored on 14 minutes. Brentford counter-attacked immediately but
    Bryson won the ball with a fine tackle and fed Johnson. Johnson's superb pass over the top
    set Nugent away to score wit a lob on 21 minutes. Brentford's defence looked a bit shaky
    at times when the Rams attacked. Wilson was everywhere, he was fouled on the edge of
    the D by Mepham, who got a yellow card, and Mount scored Derby's third goal on 28
    minutes with a fabulous free kick to the top corner.

The Rams were able to carve Brentford open with almost every attack and they had plenty
    of chances to score - they had 12 shots (6 on target). The Derby defence did very well to
    limit the Bees to 5 shots (2 on target) in the half and they judged their passing out of
    defence much better. This was Derby's best all round performance for a very long time.
    HT Derby 3-1 Brentford

The second half started like the first with Brentford attacking quickly and Derby reverting
    to slow and careless passing. Forsyth was caught out a couple of times but Brentford didn't
    punish the Rams. Tomori was outstanding with his skilful, composed defending. Unlike the
    first half, Derby's attacks often broke down through misunderstandings between players.

Mount's quality and work rate matched Wilson's. He slipped Wilson in but Wilson's drive hit
    the outside of the post. The Rams were becoming stretched when Brentford attacked.
    Josefzoon replaced Bennett on 74 minutes, Marriott came on for Nugent on 76 and Malone
    for Wilson on 83. Bryson continued to work very hard but he couldn't spark anything in
    attack.

The second half was a much quieter affair than the first, with Derby having far less
    possession and only 4 shots, with none on target. As in the first half, Brentford had 5 shots
    but none of their shots after the break was on target. The Rams had to show plenty of
    character to hold on and keep their lead.
    Derby 3-1 Brentford

Derby climbed to 6th place with the win, two points behind leaders Leeds and Middlesbrough,
    one point behind West Bromwich, and only below Sheffield Utd and Wigan on goals.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: Derby 3-1 Brentford reports and comments

Post by valakari on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 5:43 pm

Fabulous first half performance. Closing down and attacking.
    2nd half did a good professional job. Really enjoyed this game. More of the same all season and we won't be far away.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4087
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 5:49 pm

Fantastic first half performance and a good job second half. Derby matches are for more entertaining when the opposition come to play football
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 6:13 pm

Tuned in at 10 mins and was like wtf we are down a goal already...4 minutes later I was happy and kept getting happier with each goal. Great game, Bryson covered damn near every blade of grass, Johnsons hoof to Nugent was perfect. It was well worth getting up at 715 in the morning to watch.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm

Some wonderful play today, you could see the plan and it was lovely to see us do to them what teams have been doing to us for years with the high press and incisive counter attacks.

Mount and Tomori are absolute class and I find myself with mixed feelings over these two. It's an absolute gift to have them playing for us this season but it shows the gulf in class between young players at the top clubs and our own youngsters.

Keogh, Johnson and Nugent were superb through the spine of the team and the two full backs had good games. Bennett and Wilson seemed far more confident in their roles and showed a better understanding of their responsibilities than earlier in the season.

All thats left is Craig Bryson, wow what a game he had, he was incredible. He is the one player that never stops, he's at the head of the full press and within seconds he is the last man covering the defenders, he won headers, tackles, corners and free kicks. He showed every other player how to do it today, and to their credit they followed his lead.

We destroyed Brentford today and it could easily have been 7 or 8 but that is immaterial because the performance is what stood out. If we can play like that against everybody including the big, tough battling teams we could forget the play offs because we would be nailed on for the top two. Finding consistency is the magic key but personally I think that we will get there sooner rather than later.

We're getting better so beware the rest of the league, take points off us while you can bacause in a month or so's time you won't get near us.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm

That was astounding! I expected a tough game because Brentford are one of the best footballing teams in the Championship, and know how to score. So to go a goal down after only 40 seconds or so was worrying. In previous seasons, and even early this season we wold have folded, but not today. Almost straight away we set about finding our feet and then let them have it.After about 10 minutes there seemed to be only one team in it.

I thought on Tuesday night that I hadn't seen such a sustained period of pressure like that for years, but that was nothing compared with today. Although Brentford are good on the ball, they looked scared every time we had the ball, and when they tried to break, we had the answer, simply picking them off as they tried to play through. it was probably better than the Mac 1 days, it was that good, and knew that 1 goal for us would win the game.

It came from an awful corner by Brentford which went to Mason Mount at the side of our penalty area. It was quickly whipped forwards and with only three or four passes was in the back of the net.  WOW! How many times have we been punished when we have made a mistake? And how many times have we failed to punish the opposition for their mistake? Today we were not only cynical, we were surgical. The second came from a great through ball by Bradley Johnson, who had a stonking game, yet again. For the third, it looked like the keeper had done his homework on Mount's free-kicks, which he expected to be to his right, and probably low down. So Mount went over the top and to the keeper's left. The keeper didn't get near it. Great free-kick! To top it all, we had just witnessed the ref go the entire first half with hardly an error. Can it get any better?

Well the ref must have had a phone call from the EFL at half-time threatening him with the sack for being so fair and even-handed, and he dutifully reverted to type for the second half. Some of his decisions were beyond comprehension, but actually it didn't matter one iota because the game was already won. We still threatened, but it wasn't at the high-speed, bust-a-gut manner of the first. Instead it was much more measured, as we controlled and managed the game. It says plenty that it was 60 minutes before Keogh had to dive in with a block, and that coming from good Brentford play, rather than our own short-comings!

Yet again, I didn't see anybody having a poor game, and yet again everybody was playing with confidence. And to see Tomori playing as a forward is astounding. When I first watched videos of him, I immediately though "George Thorne, but with a number 5 on his back". That would be George at his prime, but I think Tomori has more in his locker, so that is some compliment.

And maybe the difference in the first half was the high tempo, and the closing down and harrying. Brentford weren't given a moment to breathe. We also seem to know were other players are and can find them with our passes. We have seen how beneficial closing down our opponents is in fits and starts, and over the years have turned matches around, but after about 20 minutes we would go back to standing off the opposition again, or not even bother with in the next match. Today we pressed for the entire first half, and stayed pretty tight during the second.

Have we turned the corner, and found our midfield. Frank said "NO", but dropped a massive hint that maybe he had during his post match interview. I also reckon Curtis Davis is going to have a difficult job getting back into the team the way things are going. So too is Tom Lawrence.

If we can keep those sort of performance going regularly, automatics isn't beyond the realms of possibility. The future is starting to look very good, and there here and now is pretty dammed enjoyable!

Bring on the manure!
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 3:31 am

Tell me why Rowett let Bryson go out on loan!!???
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 8:03 am

Because he is a d*ck with limited managerial ideas and equally limited ability. So glad he's gone
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 8:31 am

Our one and only blunder happened on 55 seconds when Tomori lost Dalsgaard and his looping header went in off the bar, giving Carson no chance. Apart from that, it was the ultimate performance. Yes, there were short periods where Brentford slightly had the advantage but you are never going to boss the entire 90 minutes.

The superlatives have been lavishly used by others in this thread and I can only agree with them.

That's 3 League games in 8 days, starting with a loss, then a draw and a win. The loss was a poor day at the office, the draw saw us do everything but score and the win was simply excellent. What all 3 games had in common is that even the defeat was an enjoyable game to watch.

To add balance to the euphoria:

Wilson had a very good game. His first one for the club IMO. What are the areas on which he needs to improve? He has a little bit of Russellitis in him. Blind alleys and wanting to go too far with the ball when there are good passing opportunities available. His biggest flaw is his immense leftfootedness. How many times did he lose the ball against Brentford because they knew that the ball would be very close to his left foot so they knew exactly where it would be and took it off him? He really needs to work on his right foot and gain the confidence to do more with it than just stand on it.

Mount was brilliant. His point for improvement is vision. Brentford tried, as often as possible, to double and even triple team him. That led to him trying to get past them and losing out more often than is good for the team. He ignores chances to pass early, just like Wilson. Get that right and he will have the whole package IMO.

In short, two great young talents playing very well with room for improvement. That augurs well for us this season and for them in their future careers.

As you all know, I am no great lover of the Brothers Madley. DYS supporting absolutely awful refs are comments I have frequently made about them. I doff my cap to Andy for his performance yesterday. His first half was one of the best refereeing performances I have seen in a long while by any ref at any level. In the 2nd half he partially reverted to type but was still much, much better than he usually is. More of the same in future please Andy and pass the word on to your brother.

Finally, an immense performance from the Rams yesterday. None of the players had a bad game. So, who was MOTM? As good as the rest were, they were all nowhere near the level of performance of................ Craig Bryson. Not a blade of grass he didn't tread on. He was everywhere doing everything. Immense.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 9:13 am

MadAmster wrote:Our one and only blunder happened on 55 seconds when Tomori lost Dalsgaard and his looping header went in off the bar, giving Carson no chance. Apart from that, it was the ultimate performance. Yes, there were short periods where Brentford slightly had the advantage but you are never going to boss the entire 90 minutes.

The superlatives have been lavishly used by others in this thread and I can only agree with them.

That's 3 League games in 8 days, starting with a loss, then a draw and a win. The loss was a poor day at the office, the draw saw us do everything but score and the win was simply excellent. What all 3 games had in common is that even the defeat was an enjoyable game to watch.

To add balance to the euphoria:

Wilson had a very good game. His first one for the club IMO. What are the areas on which he needs to improve? He has a little bit of Russellitis in him. Blind alleys and wanting to go too far with the ball when there are good passing opportunities available. His biggest flaw is his immense leftfootedness. How many times did he lose the ball against Brentford because they knew that the ball would be very close to his left foot so they knew exactly where it would be and took it off him? He really needs to work on his right foot and gain the confidence to do more with it than just stand on it.

Mount was brilliant. His point for improvement is vision. Brentford tried, as often as possible, to double and even triple team him. That led to him trying to get past them and losing out more often than is good for the team. He ignores chances to pass early, just like Wilson. Get that right and he will have the whole package IMO.

In short, two great young talents playing very well with room for improvement. That augurs well for us this season and for them in their future careers.

As you all know, I am no great lover of the Brothers Madley. DYS supporting absolutely awful refs are comments I have frequently made about them. I doff my cap to Andy for his performance yesterday. His first half was one of the best refereeing performances I have seen in a long while by any ref at any level. In the 2nd half he partially reverted to type but was still much, much better than he usually is. More of the same in future please Andy and pass the word on to your brother.

Finally, an immense performance from the Rams yesterday. None of the players had a bad game. So, who was MOTM? As good as the rest were, they were all nowhere near the level of performance of................ Craig Bryson. Not a blade of grass he didn't tread on. He was everywhere doing everything. Immense.

I was looking forward to The Full 90 even before you posted, MA.

I can't wait now.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 9:50 am

Just got back now and the 30hr round trip is worth it after the best display I have seen in years 
    Up the rams
    King Zak

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 526
    Registration date : 2012-08-18

Post by King Zak on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 2:54 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Some wonderful play today, you could see the plan and it was lovely to see us do to them what teams have been doing to us for years with the high press and incisive counter attacks.

Mount and Tomori are absolute class and I find myself with mixed feelings over these two. It's an absolute gift to have them playing for us this season but it shows the gulf in class between young players at the top clubs and our own youngsters.

Keogh, Johnson and Nugent were superb through the spine of the team and the two full backs had good games. Bennett and Wilson seemed far more confident in their roles and showed a better understanding of their responsibilities than earlier in the season.

All thats left is Craig Bryson, wow what a game he had, he was incredible. He is the one player that never stops, he's at the head of the full press and within seconds he is the last man covering the defenders, he won headers, tackles, corners and free kicks. He showed every other player how to do it today, and to their credit they followed his lead.

We destroyed Brentford today and it could easily have been 7 or 8 but that is immaterial because the performance is what stood out. If we can play like that against everybody including the big, tough battling teams we could forget the play offs because we would be nailed on for the top two. Finding consistency is the magic key but personally I think that we will get there sooner rather than later.

We're getting better so beware the rest of the league, take points off us while you can bacause in a month or so's time you won't get near us.

I used to hate loans, but it seems necessary nowadays, and Chelsea loans are different from others as it's their business model to "own" players who will never play for them, but sell for a premium. If we went up it would have been worth it and we would be able to buy Tomori and we would likely keep Mount for another season. When you look at Loftus Cheek, we might even be able to buy Mount at some point - but I think unlikely. For me he is a cross between Lampard and Beckham,

But let's not forget that we had Bogle and Bennett on the pitch too, two of our own youngsters. And Bogle is getting rave reviews with Colin Murray on the highlights show touting him for an England call up last night. So I don't think the gulf is that vast. Mount is obviously just a very special player who has remarkably already scored 5 goals for us and could have had 15 by now!

Of course a great performance, filling us all with hope. You have to think, barring injuries, the team will only get better as we go through the season. Happy days!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23428
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 23 Sep 2018, 11:42 pm

Johnson playing his best football now.
    Looks like a different player..getting to the ball faster and looking comfortable in possession.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 3:57 am