a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

January, what would you do?

Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11674
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

January, what would you do?

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 11:23 am

Stick or bust? Where if anywhere would you look to strengthen in January?

At the moment we look strong in every position but it only takes a couple of injuries to change that. I personally thought that losing Bryson would take us backwards but if anything Wilson has added another dimension. Similarly I thought that the loss of Mount and Tomouri would expose our limitations but we just carried on regardless. We looked short of goals and depth up front early in the season but now Marriott is up to speed he looks unstoppable and Huddlestone has filled the defensive midfield role as if it was made for him.

All in all I think that it will be difficult to improve the squad but you can imagine that premiership clubs will be queueing up to loan us their youngsters having seen what we've done with Mount, Wilson and Tomouri, so maybe there will be a little tinkering but surely not much because the other thing to bear in mind is how fantastic the team spirit appears to be at the moment, we should do nothing to upset that.
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 14945
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: January, what would you do?

Post by MadAmster on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 11:56 am

As I intimated in another post earleir today, we seem to have it covered. We have a decent keeper as backup if necessary. Wisdom/Bogle. Keogh/Tomori/Davies/Pearce. Fozzy/Malone and Lowe when he comes back in January plus the injured Olsson. Hudds/BJ/Evans. Mount/Holmes/Jozefzoon. Bryson/Wilson. Bennett/Waghorn. Nuge/Marriott. Lawro plus Holmes, Jozefzoon and Wilson who can also play there.

The we have Anya, Ledley and Bird from the squd as is.

Then we have Thorne and Butterfield getting it right for the 23s.

From the 23s themselves Kyle McAllister might come into the reckoning soon as well as Sibley and McDonald.

Then we have those out on loan. Lowe I have mentioned, we also have Elsnik, Mitchell and Thomas to come back.

If we do anything in January I can only see it being PL quality replacements for anybody we sell (which I don't see happening) or in the case of a long term injury to a key player.
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2482
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 1:47 pm

Stick with what we got, and get rid if possible of ledley, Thorne, butterfield, anya, ollson, Pearce to name a few.
    If we can strengthen in January with better players then I’m all for it, but don’t rock the boat
    baseballer

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 750
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Post by baseballer on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 1:49 pm

Anyone know whats going on with Wisdom? He has not made the matchday squad recently. Have we got sufficient cover at right back?
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2482
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 1:53 pm

Places on bench, although wisdom can cover CB, others ie Keogh and Tomori can cover if bogles injured, same with jofezoon and bennet scenario, in and out the squad
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6451

Post by CornwallRam on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 8:17 pm

For me I still think we're a big striker and defensive midfielder who is good all round and very mobile short. Huddlestone is doing well enough but I think he'll struggle in some games. Marriot isn't a target man, but his quality is allowing him to make a decent fist of it. With the two players I've mentioned we effectively get a squad that can play in a variety of ways and react to every situation.
    ShardlowSheep

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1985
    First ever game : Middlesborough at Home first game of 88 - 89 season
    Number of posts : 4087
    Registration date : 2009-03-27

Post by ShardlowSheep on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 8:41 pm

I wouldn’t do too much other than clear out the remaining dead wood. Maybe a few tweaks here and there but nothing too major. We signed 9 players in the summer and it has took some time for them and the Frank Lampard style of football to take affect. In January you can’t afford a bedding in period so I wouldn’t add more than 2 players to the mix
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:00 am

A big mobile striker and another first team quality centre back.

That should be the icing for me.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:07 am

Corners, I see you mentioned a "target man". The FL way doesn't have a target man shaped hole IMO and therefore I don't see any reason to buy one.

Looking at FLs preferred system, if we brought a "coldplay 2.0" in, he would, logically, displace Marriott who is looking very much like the 20 goal a season striker every good team needs.

I think you will have to shelve your target man wishes as FL isn't going to make that particular dream come true IMO.

Last edited by MadAmster on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2333
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:12 am

I would say the squad needs trimming rather than signing anyone and rocking the boat.

The fact we have Thorne and butterfingers playing for the under 23's says we have too many players for me
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:29 am

rob wrote:I would say the squad needs trimming rather than signing anyone and rocking the boat.

The fact we have Thorne and butterfingers playing for the under 23's says we have too many players for me

2 or 3 months ago, one of the two wasn't physically fit enough after 2 years of struggle with that horrendous leg break but is now looking good in the 23s. If he is getting back to where he was, looking forward, he is 25. BJ is 31. Is GT one to keep and BJ one to let go at the end of the season?

Butterfield appeared all over the place 2 or 3 months ago. He couldn't pass, tackle.... and his problems were, IMO, all between his ears. He too is starting to look the business again, less so than GT but he is playing well in the 23s. Might he, at 28, also be one for the future or would it be better all round for him to seek solace elsewhere?
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6451

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 7:40 am

MadAmster wrote:Corners, I see you mentioned a "target man". The FL way doesn't have a target man shaped hole IMO and therefore I don't see any reason to buy one.

Looking at FLs preferred system, if we brought a "coldplay 2.0" in, he would, logically, displace Marriott who is looking very much like the 20 goal a season striker every good team needs.

I think you will have to shelve your target man wishes as FL isn't going to make that particular dream come true IMO.

So what happens when we play Millwall, Stoke, Rotherham etc? Pretty football with a nippy, hard working goal poacher doesn't work against a nasty parked bus. If we're going to get promoted we need points from those games. A big lad up top gives us the option to alter our system when 433 zippy passing isn't working.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:16 am

CornwallRam wrote:

So what happens when we play Millwall, Stoke, Rotherham etc? Pretty football with a nippy, hard working goal poacher doesn't work against a nasty parked bus. If we're going to get promoted we need points from those games. A big lad up top gives us the option to alter our system when 433 zippy passing isn't working.

It hasn't in recent history, you are spot on. However, we tore Brum a new one on Saturday and they are a successful bus parking and hit on the break side. I know that one swallow doth not a summer make but I was apprehensive pre game and, despite bossing the first half, the 0-1 HT scoreline wasn't a surprise as it was exactly the kind of thing I had expected against them. Second half we also got the reward for our efforts and could quite easily have got more than 3.

We may have learnt, finally, how to beat this kind of team and that is around the outside and get the crosses in. Fozzy, 2 assists from out wide show that.
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5794
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 6:57 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    CornwallRam wrote:

It hasn't in recent history, you are spot on. However, we tore Brum a new one on Saturday and they are a successful bus parking and hit on the break side. I know that one swallow doth not a summer make but I was apprehensive pre game and, despite bossing the first half, the 0-1 HT scoreline wasn't a surprise as it was exactly the kind of thing I had expected against them. Second half we also got the reward for our efforts and could quite easily have got more than 3.

We may have learnt, finally, how to beat this kind of team and that is around the outside and get the crosses in. Fozzy, 2 assists from out wide show that.

The real problem would be buying a good enough one who wouuld be a Plan C, and not a regular.

We may have to "find" one from within - I've no idea if we have one in the U18's or below but those die-hard locals could probably help with that.

I did notice at the weekend that 3 of the 4 teams who have beaten us are sandwixched together in 18th/19th/20th and I'd say, this season Birmingham City have played better football than that under Monk.

I'm not convinced.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 852
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 4:44 pm

I'd get shot of Ledley and Butterfeet. I know some are saying he looks better for the U23s, and good for him, but I'm just all out of faith in him and see no reason to give him a second chance. From a business side it probably makes more sense to let go of BJ and Ledley and keep Butterfeet, but just in terms of baggage for this club, I can't see him shot of soon enough. Not very charitable, I suppose.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 6:26 pm

Anya, Pearce, Butterfield, Ledley and Olsson...get rid of all 5...that should save a fortune on wages!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:00 pm

valakari wrote:Anya, Pearce, Butterfield, Ledley and Olsson...get rid of all 5...that should save a fortune on wages!

As things stand Pearce is the #4 CD. We need a replacement b4 getting rid.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Tue 06 Nov 2018, 7:36 pm

Ampadu

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 3:58 am