Derby 0-3 Aston Villa reports and comments

RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 0-3 Aston Villa reports and comments

Post by RRC on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 5:08 pm

Derby made two changes to  Derbythe team that started the win over Birmingham -- Tomori
    and Bennett replaced Davies (on the bench) and Waghorn (injured).
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Foryth
          Wilson Huddlestone Holmes
          Bennett Marriott Lawrence
          subs Roos Davies Malone Johnson Bird Josefzoon Nugent
    Aston Villa named an unchanged starting XI who beat Bolton in their last match.

Villa played a high line and pressed Derby from the start but Derby counter-attacked at the
    first opportunity through Wilson and Lawrence. Villa had the first clear chance but Kodija's
    header was too high. Lawrence had three shots in the early stages. Derby weren't closing
    down as well as they had against Birmingham, so Villa had a good spell of possession.
    Abraham volleyed over the bar and at the other end Lawrence's free kick was cleared easily.

Villa had the edge midway through the half. Abraham beat Tomori but Tomori got back to
    concede a corner. Wilson's fierce shot was well saved by Nyland. Tomori was fouled but the
    referee ignored it and then penalised Tomori for a tackle. Hourihane's free kick was poor.
    Carson had to make a brilliant save from Abraham, who had been set up by Adomah. Derby
    lost their impetus and their passing was wayward, finding Villa players moe often than Rams.

A long ball from Forsyth brought Marriott into the game, he burst through the centre backs
    for a shot and Nyland had to save. Lawence's corner gave Huddlestone a chance but his shot
    was wide. Lawrence made a fine chance for himself from a long ball but he put his shot over
    the bar. The first half was similar to last week's against Brum. Derby flattered Villa by their
    poor passing and control. The visitors made the better chances but they had only one shot
    on target -- the Rams had five shots on target.
    HT Derby 0-0 Aston Villa

The second half started slowly but Derby began to press Villa briefly. Josefzoon came on for
    Bennett, who went down with a hamstring injury, on 51 minutes. Abraham netted with an
    overhead kick but it was ruled out for an offside. Derby once again looked second best, slow
    and rather disorganized. Huddlestone gave a free kick away on the edge of the area but the
    kick hit wall. Grealish orchestrated a succession of Villa attacks but Abraham headed a good
    chance over the bar again and McGinn shot another wide. There were more wild shots from
    Villa, mostly by Abraham, from good opportunities. Derby looked edgy and indecisive, and
    they struggled to get out of their own half. Scott Malone came on for Holmes on 70 minutes
    and Derby switched to a diamond formation. The referee had been poor and inconsistent
    throughout and he got even worse later in the match.

McGinn finally found the net for Villa on 74 minutes from a good cross by Bolasie. Four
    minutes later another fine run and cross by Bolasie gave Abraham the chance to double
    Villa's lead. Nugent came for Bogle on 80 mnutes. Josefzoon maade a chance for Marriott
    but he missed. Huddlestone gave away a free kick and Hourihane added Villa's third goal
    with a fine shot to the top corner. Villa were even more dominant in the second half. Derby
    were a shadow of themselves. They created very little, only managing three shots (none
    on target) in the half, and their play was disjointed. Playing without two of their best
    midfielders was a major factor as that was where Villa clearly outshone them.
    FT Derby 0-3 Aston Villa

Derby will hang on to 5th place unless West Brom beat Leeds at tea time, but they were
    brought down to earth with a bang after their excellent six game unbeaten run.

CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6451
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Re: Derby 0-3 Aston Villa reports and comments

Post by CornwallRam on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 7:47 pm

That's exactly the sort of game I was expecting us to get a couple of this season. We were beaten by a far superior team who we couldn't out football. The surprise was that it was Vila, because I didn't have them down as that good.

I suppose that I'd forgotten how much quality they had in their squad. Steve Bruce should hang his head in shame that he couldn't get a competitive side out of that squad. Bolaisie on the bench and I'd say that he could be the best player in the division when he's on form. Tammy Abraham would have been such a fantastic signing for us - Marriot and Abraham as a striking duo would be unplayable. We were beaten by a better team. They were even better at fouling than us.

To me, it shows that we're not good enough for the automatics, and won't be whilst we play 433, but might be good enough for the playoffs if we don't implode in February.

Of the players today, only Keogh and Wilson managed to be average. The rest were quite poor. Even Carson seems to have become a bit wobbly. Jozefzoon looks to be a downgrade on Camara.

Forsyth was getting some stick on the radio. Now he didn't play well, but Lawrence left him exposed and outnumbered all match. His injury looked extremely worrying. He trudged back around the pitch with exactly the same expression as the last time he did his cruciate. I really, really hope that I'm wrong, but I fear that might be the end of Fozzy's career.
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 2856
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 7:49 pm

What the hell happened today? I checked in at 70 mins and it was 0-0 then I check back in after the match was over and we got thumped. 3 goals in space of 20 mins is unacceptable.
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

"The ref was a joke, but no-one laughed". Said by my daughter after today's match.

No matter what will be said about how we played or didn't play, today's match was hugely influenced by the match officials, who were awful throughout the entire game.

The first half was pretty well balanced, with Derby looking more threatening, while not being at their best. Knowing that we usually come out for the second half and up our game, I was OK about things at half time. Second half, and it was Villa who upped the tempo, and we struggled to match them. I felt that we needed to hold them for about 10 minutes or so, but the game turned on three appalling refereeing decisions. Marriott was bashed to the ground, right in front of the tw*t in black - nothing given. We attacked and their left back dived near his own corner flag, right in front of the ref's assistant - free kick to Villa. Another Derby attack, and their no. 14 dived in his own penalty area. There was no contact, but - free-kick to Villa. From that they broke and were given no, gifted another free-kick, and the first goal flowed from that. Villa had been the better side in the second half, but at that point the rams heads went down, almost as though they had decided "What's the point of competing, he'll only give them another free-kick". The next two goals were inevitable.

It is the first time that I have seen the Derby players en masse surrounding the ref time and time again - we simply don't do this. Individual players were having a go at him throughout the match as well, again, something which we don't do. It was missing from Villa which surprised me now that John Terry is there. The nastiness which made much of his game was there though. However, we shouldn't let our heads go down like that, no matter how bad the ref is. And even though we couldn't match the pace of Villa after the restart, we should have fought our way back into it, but never did.

Frank identified it as complacency in his RD after-match interview, and there was a lot of sloppy play throughout the team. Biggest let down was Tom Lawrence, who simply didn't seem bothered for much of the match, and produced virtually nothing apart from a couple of shots. Tom Huddlestone was off the pace for much of the match, but that was because he was carrying a bad injury for much of the match. He played a ball form the edge of the centre circle and was caught with a nasty wack on the calf'ankle area, and had an ice pack strapped on it after the match. It happened right in front of the ref who acknowledged Tom's appeal, but let play go on, and then refuesed to deal with the offender afterwards. We did give Jack "sit down on the floor and I'll get a free-kick" Grealish quite a kicking so that at least the free-kick was worthwhile.

Another [problem was our tendency for zonal marking. So many times a Villa player passed to a team-mate, with the Derby player having to react and try and run across to the man who had received the ball. But he was already late because the ball was already being played to another team mate who was standing in space, because the Derby player who should have been marking him was actually a few yards away marking the zone. But nobody passes to a zone, they pass to a team-mate, so our approach allows the opposition to zip the ball from man to man quickly and effectively.

Today should serve as a wake up call, but we shouldn't have been dozing off. However, at the start of the season we had no expectations of being where we are in the league, so we are still miles ahead of ourselves. We have maybe found out how to beat a bus-parking, negative team (Birmingham City), something which has been difficult for us for years, but we still have to work out how to beat the ref.

I am sure that Frank and Jody will put the international break to good use and we will come back the better for it. And we will have a few injuries cleared up as well, so COME ON YOU RAMS.
    Bobbies Helmet

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 86
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Post by Bobbies Helmet on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 8:26 pm

RRC wrote:Derby made two changes to  Derbythe team that started the win over Birmingham -- Tomori
    and Bennett replaced Davies (on the bench) and Waghorn (injured).
          Carson
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Foryth
          Wilson Huddlestone Holmes
          Bennett Marriott Lawrence
          subs Roos Davies Malone Johnson Bird Josefzoon Nugent
    Aston Villa named an unchanged starting XI who beat Bolton in their last match.

Villa played a high line and pressed Derby from the start but Derby counter-attacked at the
    first opportunity through Wilson and Lawrence. Villa had the first clear chance but Kodija's
    header was too high. Lawrence had three shots in the early stages. Derby weren't closing
    down as well as they had against Birmingham, so Villa had a good spell of possession.
    Abraham volleyed over the bar and at the other end Lawrence's free kick was cleared easily.

Villa had the edge midway through the half. Abraham beat Tomori but Tomori got back to
    concede a corner. Wilson's fierce shot was well saved by Nyland. Tomori was fouled but the
    referee ignored it and then penalised Tomori for a tackle. Hourihane's free kick was poor.
    Carson had to make a brilliant save from Abraham, who had been set up by Adomah. Derby
    lost their impetus and their passing was wayward, finding Villa players moe often than Rams.

A long ball from Forsyth brought Marriott into the game, he burst through the centre backs
    for a shot and Nyland had to save. Lawence's corner gave Huddlestone a chance but his shot
    was wide. Lawrence made a fine chance for himself from a long ball but he put his shot over
    the bar. The first half was similar to last week's against Brum. Derby flattered Villa by their
    poor passing and control. The visitors made the better chances but they had only one shot
    on target -- the Rams had five shots on target.
    HT Derby 0-0 Aston Villa

The second half started slowly but Derby began to press Villa briefly. Josefzoon came on for
    Bennett, who went down with a hamstring injury, on 51 minutes. Abraham netted with an
    overhead kick but it was ruled out for an offside. Derby once again looked second best, slow
    and rather disorganized. Huddlestone gave a free kick away on the edge of the area but the
    kick hit wall. Grealish orchestrated a succession of Villa attacks but Abraham headed a good
    chance over the bar again and McGinn shot another wide. There were more wild shots from
    Villa, mostly by Abraham, from good opportunities. Derby looked edgy and indecisive, and
    they struggled to get out of their own half. Scott Malone came on for Holmes on 70 minutes
    and Derby switched to a diamond formation. The referee had been poor and inconsistent
    throughout and he got even worse later in the match.

McGinn finally found the net for Villa on 74 minutes from a good cross by Bolasie. Four
    minutes later another fine run and cross by Bolasie gave Abraham the chance to double
    Villa's lead. Nugent came for Bogle on 80 mnutes. Josefzoon maade a chance for Marriott
    but he missed. Huddlestone gave away a free kick and Hourihane added Villa's third goal
    with a fine shot to the top corner. Villa were even more dominant in the second half. Derby
    were a shadow of themselves. They created very little, only managing three shots (none
    on target) in the half, and their play was disjointed. Playing without two of their best
    midfielders was a major factor as that was where Villa clearly outshone them.
    FT Derby 0-3 Aston Villa

Derby will hang on to 5th place unless West Brom beat Leeds at tea time, but they were
    brought down to earth with a bang after their excellent six game unbeaten run.
    I think the problem was caused by giving the young lad Foryth his debut at left back, no experience, should have played Forsyth or Malone.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 2:16 am

Just back and a kick uo the arse that was,, villa better side. Move on
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23428
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 4:22 am

CornwallRam wrote:That's exactly the sort of game I was expecting us to get a couple of this season. We were beaten by a far superior team who we couldn't out football. The surprise was that it was Vila, because I didn't have them down as that good.

I suppose that I'd forgotten how much quality they had in their squad. Steve Bruce should hang his head in shame that he couldn't get a competitive side out of that squad. Bolaisie on the bench and I'd say that he could be the best player in the division when he's on form. Tammy Abraham would have been such a fantastic signing for us - Marriot and Abraham as a striking duo would be unplayable. We were beaten by a better team. They were even better at fouling than us.

To me, it shows that we're not good enough for the automatics, and won't be whilst we play 433, but might be good enough for the playoffs if we don't implode in February.

Of the players today, only Keogh and Wilson managed to be average. The rest were quite poor. Even Carson seems to have become a bit wobbly. Jozefzoon looks to be a downgrade on Camara.

Forsyth was getting some stick on the radio. Now he didn't play well, but Lawrence left him exposed and outnumbered all match. His injury looked extremely worrying. He trudged back around the pitch with exactly the same expression as the last time he did his cruciate. I really, really hope that I'm wrong, but I fear that might be the end of Fozzy's career.

Fozzy was bent over holding his knee before one of their corners first half.
    I though to myself then..he needs to be careful..I wonder if it was just ready to give out then.

Last edited by New England Ram on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

MadAmster

Number of posts : 14945

Post by MadAmster on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 9:10 am

A match of two halves but more of that later........

I agree with Dave. The officials were not of the quality football at this level should get. He has posted some details, I could mention more but I don't think it's needed.

The match? 1st half possession was roughly even but we managed to do more with it than they did. 8 shots to their 6 and we had 5 on target to their one. We really should have been in front at HT. Three of the five would have been Bennett assists if they had gone in, he worked like a Trojan defensively as well and still some say he isn't good enough. You will all be aware that I have always rated the lad. It seems Frank does too. If I'm wrong about the lad, I am in good company.

Second half, we weren't at the races. Villa were dominant and we can't complain about the result either. Two cracking goals and a well hit free kick. No blame for Carson with any of them either. The wall was there to protect the left hand corner, Carson had the middle and right side. The shot was simply too good.

FL thought complacency was the cause and he might be right. The previous 5 games had been teams who were top, a team unbeaten in 11 and on 4 straight wins and Chelsea. This was a Villa side packed with skill and that has been the case all season that has simply not been delivering and looking like 11 random players thrown together for the hell of it. The difference in them against us was that they actually looked like  a team and they haven't been doing that all season. If they can replicate that they will soon be up at the sharp end of the table.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 4972
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 2:32 pm

Is FL pushing too hard? The team looked down and out in the second half with at least two of the team carring injuries. I hate these International breaks with a vengence but welcome this one so the lads can regroup and recover. Look after them Frank, to play like a premiership team team is fine and dandy but we only have Championship players and it appears they are easily broken. That run of six unbeaten Championship games could become the norm if the squad is carefully handled. Onwards and upwards.
    outsider

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : hereford v derby friendly 1980
    Number of posts : 1467
    Registration date : 2014-07-30

Post by outsider on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 3:24 pm

I see the social media have once again gone out to find a sxape goat to blame for our first loss in leage in 7 games. This time it's Lawrence and Keogh

Yes Lawrence had a poor game but so did a lot of others.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 993
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 4:51 pm

outsider wrote:I see the social media have once again gone out to find a sxape goat to blame for our first loss in leage in 7 games. This time it's Lawrence and Keogh

Although its an easy knee-jerk option to scapegoat Keogh, he actually played better than most. And unless Frank and Jody are working them too hard in training, there is no way they should be "leggy" after a week without a match. It still all points toa mental attitude problem.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Sun 11 Nov 2018, 10:41 pm

My thoughts are that Villa have a team of quality and experience and bringing on Bolasie for Kodja made them better. Also bringing on Elmohamody at half time changed them for the better too.
    We looked very lightweight in midfield and although they did well against Brum, i think we really missed Mount and Bryson against a better team in Villa.
    Waghorn or Bennett gives more solidity on the right side, so when Jozefzoon came on , we were really lightweight.
    Maybe its just me but, Carson, not for the first time this season, doesn't come off his line for crosses.
    And this game would have been very different had Lawrence taken his open goal just before half time!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Mon 12 Nov 2018, 6:16 pm

outsider wrote:I see the social media have once again gone out to find a sxape goat to blame for our first loss in leage in 7 games. This time it's Lawrence and Keogh

Blows my mind the never ending push to blame individuals for a team defeat.
    Not every goal we concede is someone’s fault nor is every miss a game turning event..there has never been the perfect player nor the perfect team performance ..anywhere in football.

Like you said..everyone was less than average..especially second half.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 13 Nov 2018, 8:14 am

valakari wrote:My thoughts are that Villa have a team of quality and experience and bringing on Bolasie for Kodja made them better. Also bringing on Elmohamody at half time changed them for the better too.
    We looked very lightweight in midfield and although they did well against Brum, i think we really missed Mount and Bryson against a better team in Villa.
    Waghorn or Bennett gives more solidity on the right side, so when Jozefzoon came on , we were really lightweight.
    Maybe its just me but, Carson, not for the first time this season, doesn't come off his line for crosses.
    And this game would have been very different had Lawrence taken his open goal just before half time!

On a Villa forum I sometimes frequent, I offered them congratulations. In the run up to the game they had all hoped for a draw but were expecting the worst. Knowing what they have been saying all season I offered the opinion that their bunch of highly talented individuals played, quite possibly for the first time this season, as a team and showed what they are capable of as opposed to the disjointed displays they have tended to show this season so far. They agreed. Villa have just announced themselves as contenders.
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 3:24 am

MadAmster wrote:
    valakari wrote:My thoughts are that Villa have a team of quality and experience and bringing on Bolasie for Kodja made them better. Also bringing on Elmohamody at half time changed them for the better too.

On a Villa forum I sometimes frequent, I offered them congratulations. In the run up to the game they had all hoped for a draw but were expecting the worst. Knowing what they have been saying all season I offered the opinion that their bunch of highly talented individuals played, quite possibly for the first time this season, as a team and showed what they are capable of as opposed to the disjointed displays they have tended to show this season so far. They agreed. Villa have just announced themselves as contenders.

Im not going to give them glory tickets just yet.
    New and highly rated manager I know.
    But they have had plenty of big and impressive results scattered over the last two seasons where they have looked like world beaters.
    Only to look like dysfunctional dopes a game or two later..so I’m going to hold judgment for now....I’m not convinced yet that we couldn’t do what they did to us when we play them there.

valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1947
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 3:34 am

Maybe, if we have our 'best' 11 playing...that was my point!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 14 Nov 2018, 8:31 am

New England Ram wrote:

But they have had plenty of big and impressive results scattered over the last two seasons where they have looked like world beaters.
    Only to look like dysfunctional dopes a game or two later..so I’m going to hold judgment for now....I’m not convinced yet that we couldn’t do what they did to us when we play them there.

Are you talking them or us NER? Wink
    New England Ram
    Admin

Post by New England Ram Yesterday at 3:07 am

MadAmster wrote:
    New England Ram wrote:

Are you talking them or us NER? Wink

Yeah..thought it sounded a little like us although until this season there has been a few years without anything too impressive from us.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:00 am