VAR is coming

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4444
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

VAR is coming

Post by rjrules71 on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/11/premier-league-clubs-vote-on-introduction-of-var-from-next-season/

VAR is deffo for the Prem next time

Is this the beginning of the end?

Will it come down to the Championship as well the year after.

Can't say I am for it but it cant be ignored

Any views?
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1983
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Re: VAR is coming

Post by valakari on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 7:26 pm

About time!
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 5822
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 8:29 pm

Huge pity.

Part of what the game is all about will be lost.

Life isn't fair. Football isn't fair. That's part of its allure.

If we want perfection we'd better not boother being human. Players make mistakes, why not refs?

MadAmster

Number of posts : 15006
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 9:17 pm

Denied at Boro by officials' mistakes. Same at Chelsea. Same with Villa's first........... etc etc etc.

Even Villa fans are saying the guy was crap and they won 0-3
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 11:21 pm

I like life in monochrome, no shades of grey. VAR will supply that and that part is good. The part that will be bad will be how players, managers, referrees and other officals will also try to manipulate it according to their own needs.

I've read the books and I've seen the films, it should be interesting to see how the Hunger Games will proceeded.
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 12:22 am

SawleyRam wrote:I like life in monochrome, no shades of grey. VAR will supply that and that part is good. The part that will be bad will be how players, managers, referrees and other officals will also try to manipulate it according to their own needs.

I've read the books and I've seen the films, it should be interesting to see how the Hunger Games will proceeded.

Great post, Sir Sawley Ram.

My caveat is that, unlike all True Rams, life has a Visage tone to it.

New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 4:23 am

Stockport Ram wrote:Huge pity.

Part of what the game is all about will be lost.

Life isn't fair. Football isn't fair.  That's part of its allure.

If we want perfection we'd better not boother being human.  Players make mistakes, why not refs?

Well said Stocky...

At the end of the day all this shit has come around because of the financial implications of success or failure..a champions league spot or relegation from the money division and all the implications that come with it.

Plastic football just became even more plastic...tv continues to dictate.
    This VAR moment sponsored by ITWASIN sandwich shop.

valakari

Post by valakari on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 5:58 am

Its improved the umpiring standards in cricket...maybe the referees in football may become relatively efficient!??
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 8:17 am

If a by-product of it is that players think twice before "cheating" then that can only be good for the game.

I have suggested in the past that, now refs are full time profs, they gather once a week in their regional office and look at all possible incidents in games. They could not and should never be allowed to change the scoreline but they could (and should) look at cards given and at those NOT given that maybe should have been. Wrongly given cards could be rescinded, cards wrongly not given could be given and yellows that should have red can be amended to the right colour. Knowing that their every move is (already) on camera and that, when deemed necessary, all angles will be reviewed, it should stop all of the skulduggery that goes on, especially that off the ball when they believe the eyes of all of the officials are looking the other way where the ball is.

6 weeks of this action will all but cut out the shenannigins of contact on the left ankle and then going down holding your head.

It will stop players going up for a ball and leading with forearm/elbow which is very dangerous.

etc etc etc.

Take the slyness out of the game. Take the kicking out of a game of silky smooth players and simply dangerous players by skill-less thugs. Once they realise they can no longer get away with it they will stop. 

Instruct refs to penalise every single piece of shirt pulling and WWE style wrestling in the box. Inside a month, if the players haven't yet learnt to stop they will be instructed to do so by their coaches and dropped if they carry on.

All of this will aid the attacking players we all love to see in action and lead to more goals. More goals will, IMO, help increase crowd numbers.

As an afterthought, it won't only help the silky smooth. Players who are more direct in their approach who use speed and strength to get past defenders, like Mason Bennett who has had more than a few kickings this season, will also benefit.

End product of this is more exciting, more entertaining football. Who could be against that?
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 9:27 am

MadAmster wrote:If a by-product of it is that players think twice before "cheating" then that can only be good for the game.

I have suggested in the past that, now refs are full time profs, they gather once a week in their regional office and look at all possible incidents in games. They could not and should never be allowed to change the scoreline but they could (and should) look at cards given and at those NOT given that maybe should have been. Wrongly given cards could be rescinded, cards wrongly not given could be given and yellows that should have red can be amended to the right colour. Knowing that their every move is (already) on camera and that, when deemed necessary, all angles will be reviewed, it should stop all of the skulduggery that goes on, especially that off the ball when they believe the eyes of all of the officials are looking the other way where the ball is.

6 weeks of this action will all but cut out the shenannigins of contact on the left ankle and then going down holding your head.

It will stop players going up for a ball and leading with forearm/elbow which is very dangerous.

etc etc etc.

Take the slyness out of the game. Take the kicking out of a game of silky smooth players and simply dangerous players by skill-less thugs. Once they realise they can no longer get away with it they will stop. 

Instruct refs to penalise every single piece of shirt pulling and WWE style wrestling in the box. Inside a month, if the players haven't yet learnt to stop they will be instructed to do so by their coaches and dropped if they carry on.

All of this will aid the attacking players we all love to see in action and lead to more goals. More goals will, IMO, help increase crowd numbers.

As an afterthought, it won't only help the silky smooth. Players who are more direct in their approach who use speed and strength to get past defenders, like Mason Bennett who has had more than a few kickings this season, will also benefit.

End product of this is more exciting, more entertaining football. Who could be against that?

And Utopia is a wonderous place I've heared said..............is that true 'Ammy? LOL
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 9:45 am

It certainly is Sawls. It exists, even if that is only in my head. It is my view of something that would see something akin to the return of the beautiful game.

I don't foresee anything bring about the downfall of the obscene money in the game so I will settle for changing those things that could be changed to the betterment of the game.

Pipedream? Maybe but, even at our advanced state, without hopes and wishes you aren't really living and I fully intend to live life rather than endure it.
    SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 12:16 pm

MadAmster wrote:It certainly is Sawls. It exists, even if that is only in my head. It is my view of something that would see something akin to the return of the beautiful game.

I don't foresee anything bring about the downfall of the obscene money in the game so I will settle for changing those things that could be changed to the betterment of the game.

Pipedream? Maybe but, even at our advanced state, without hopes and wishes you aren't really living and I fully intend to live life rather than endure it.

Unfortuately endurance is the name of the game. As you know my teeth are gritted. I still have my pipedreams so, a Lottery win this week is due.(It will benefit me more than dreaming about VAR) so before I check my ticket I'm a millionaire! COYR
    valakari

Post by valakari on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 1:12 pm

And get rid of the 'alsoran' foreign players by reducing the limit to 5 per squad...as it used to be!
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 1:16 pm

valakari wrote:And get rid of the 'alsoran' foreign players by reducing the limit to 5 per squad...as it used to be!

After the UK leaves the EU, quota for foreign players can be reinstated.
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 3:40 pm

MadAmster wrote:If a by-product of it is that players think twice before "cheating" then that can only be good for the game.

etc etc etc.

Totally agree regarding shirt pulling etc.
    The tackling I have an issue with..tackling is basically being eradicated from the game ..
    We grew up with football being a contact sport and the silky flair players of our day had the guts and the know how to look after themselves and still shine..
    I don’t want to see 90 minutes ..every kick..over analysed ..play the game make your decisions and live with the consequences good or bad...it’s only a game.

MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 8:27 pm

New England Ram wrote:

etc etc etc.

Totally agree regarding shirt pulling etc.
    The tackling I have an issue with..tackling is basically being eradicated from the game ..
    We grew up with football being a contact sport and the silky flair players of our day had the guts and the know how to look after themselves and still shine..
    I don’t want to see 90 minutes ..every kick..over analysed ..play the game make your decisions and live with the consequences good or bad...it’s only a game.

Agree wholeheartedly, tackling is part and parcel of the game. Correct tackling is a skill not everybody has. Colin Todd was a master at it, taking the ball rather than the man. I can't think of a player today who can do what Toddy did. I am actually in favour of that skill coming back. I just want the excesses, the playacting and the cheating to go away.
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 999
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 9:56 pm

My only concern is the dichotomy of trying to correct mistakes by referees by having the incidents analysed by ..... referees, i.e. the same referees who in other matches are making the same mistakes. This could be partially overcome by including former players into the analysis teams, apart from them being like RD's Craig Ramage, who isn't averse to saying things like "We need someone who insn't afraid to put it about a bit", or "make his mark on the opposition" or "leave his foot in from time to time".

At the moment, a referee's performance is marked by both managers and by the fourth official, or maybe another referee who is there simply to provide that analysis. Has anyone seen any of those reports, especially the one from the reporting referee? It would be interesting to see the one from Saturday's match!
    valakari

Post by valakari on Fri 16 Nov 2018, 10:15 pm

The same Craig Ramage who says if you feel a touch, go down! Unfortunately cheating is indemnic in the football culture ....and has been for many a year!!!
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4444
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 9:01 am

rjrules71 wrote:https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/11/premier-league-clubs-vote-on-introduction-of-var-from-next-season/

Any views?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    cant believe no one picked up on this

VAR >>>>>>>>views ...............anyone ...Hello?

SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 12:24 pm

rjrules71 wrote:
    rjrules71 wrote:https://www.thisisanfield.com/2018/11/premier-league-clubs-vote-on-introduction-of-var-from-next-season/

Any views?
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    cant believe no one picked up on this

VAR >>>>>>>>views ...............anyone ...Hello?

Errr, may I suggest you read this thread more carefully, there is a great variety of views on here concerning VAR and deeper thoughts into the matter and of course one or two flippant remarks! Stirring the pot

SawleyRam

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 17 Nov 2018, 12:33 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:I like life in monochrome, no shades of grey. VAR will supply that and that part is good. The part that will be bad will be how players, managers, referrees and other officals will also try to manipulate it according to their own needs.

Need I say more?
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sun 18 Nov 2018, 12:15 pm

SawleyRam wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:

Need I say more?

Even better post Sir SawleyRam !

Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 8:51 pm