Money in football

rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4444
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Money in football

Post by rjrules71 on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 5:34 pm

Once all the rival persiflage has finished, and the players, management and there entourages and agents have taken a handful, what is left is the stark fact that over £1billion pounds is owed just by the clubs in the championship alone.
    This from an article in the Yorkshire Post by Jordan Cronin.

How is this sustainable? Are the greeds of the few ruining once mighty clubs?
    Why do the owners of these clubs, in the face of crowd reactions sleep at night?Why not just up pegs and wave it all bye-bye.

If you are not prepared to play this bizarre type of money game, then as a club you simply fade and die!

Can the wages of also-ran players/managers at the bottom of the PL and the ccc be curbed?
    Many of these draw a wage that is far from commensurate with their abilities, which in the real world would not happen, so how do we change this?
    What can be done to save the clubs spiralling down into massive debt, which can often take down local businesses and suppliers as well?
    The money coming into football via TV affiliations and other fundraising is enormous compared to 50 years ago, so how come clubs are bearing this massive debt burden?

Is there a future for the beautiful game or are we all destined to watch or cherished teams flounder?

I wonder, I despair. Surrender

Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 866
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Re: Money in football

Post by Jackal on Sat 08 Dec 2018, 10:57 pm

Introduction of a salary cap would be a good start.
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 15006
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 11:19 am

Salary cap would, indeed, be good. Can't be introduced as yet due to EU Law. If that Brexit thing ever happens with a no deal a cap could be introduced. With Mayhem's current deal, my understanding is that we would still not be allowed to introduce a wages cap.
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 1:41 pm

But they could cap the percentage agents recieve from the earnings of negiotating wage deals and transfers of the players which in turn forces the club to pay more, therefore inflating the player's worth. That in turn forces the costs to spiral ever upwards, welcome to to the world of football inflation. The only inflation we want is that of the football itself.
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 3977
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 3:53 pm

The obscene amount of money washing around football isn't limited to the players and managers. Step forward Gordon Taylor, the 73 year old Chief Executive of the Professional Footballers Association (PFA), the man ultimately responsible for looking after the welfare of players past and present.

Gordon's been Chief Executive of the PFA for the last 37 years and he's been nicely rewarded for his time in the job. Last year Gordon was paid £2.29m, making him the highest paid union leader in the world.

Nice work if you can get it.

DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 999
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 09 Dec 2018, 9:52 pm

MadAmster wrote:Salary cap would, indeed, be good. Can't be introduced as yet due to EU Law. If that Brexit thing ever happens with a no deal a cap could be introduced. With Mayhem's current deal, my understanding is that we would still not be allowed to introduce a wages cap.

May's current deal is summed in the last line in the Eagle's "Hotel California": you can check out anytime, but you can never leave.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 9:31 am

SawleyRam wrote:But they could cap the percentage agents recieve from the earnings of negiotating wage deals and transfers of the players which in turn forces the club to pay more, therefore inflating the player's worth. That in turn forces the costs to spiral ever upwards, welcome to to the world of football inflation. The only inflation we want is that of the football itself.

Nice try Sawls but I see a flaw in that line if thinking. Agents will not permit anything to come between them and their money. They will find a way round any cap. Not knowing the %'s they use I will give an example. They scam money from both ends. From the club and the player they "represent". Let's say it's 10% from each side. Reduce that to 5% by a rule change and you can bet your bottom dollar that the % the player pays will increase.

Make another rule stopping them from doing the above and......... they will unsettle players more frequently and have them changing clubs every season or maybe even twice a season to get their money through that channel.

If there is a flaw in the above examples it will be that, at some point, they will start screaming "unfair restraint of trade" and one of them, funded by the others, will litigate in a test case which I think they would win. Basically, they would claim, and IMO they would be right, that it is not right that a customer should set a supplier's rates........

Right bag of worms it is.
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1983
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 12:05 pm

Cap ticket prices..ie make all championsip games £20, home or away. Restrict foreign players, ie 5 per club. Cap wages ie £40k per player in the championship. Restrict agents % to 5% per deal in total.....make all clubs and agents agree to these changes, otherwise relegate them..and have proportional figures depending on which division...on a sliding scale.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

valakari wrote:Cap ticket prices..ie make all championsip games £20, home or away. Restrict foreign players, ie 5 per club. Cap wages ie £40k per player in the championship. Restrict agents % to 5% per deal in total.....make all clubs and agents agree to these changes, otherwise relegate them..and have proportional figures depending on which division...on a sliding scale.

Under current EU Law we can't restrict EU player numbers. If the May deal goes through, if I have understood it correctly, that situation will not change.

Maximum wage of any level, wasn't that shown to be illegal when Jimmy Hill took Court action way back in 1961?
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 1983
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 1:22 pm

The main reason i voted to leave Europe was so that we could restrict foreign players in our leagues...The Eu will not be able to dictate that anymore after March 29th...or at least i bloody hope not!! I do understand the problem lies with the FA and Premier league who love the ££££'s involved...but we need to make a stand!

Any employer can decide what they want to pay for a job....as long as it is above the national minimum wage!!!!...just think they all ought to agree what the top limit should be..
    SawleyRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5010
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 10 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

valakari wrote:The main reason i voted to leave Europe was so that we could restrict foreign players in our leagues...The Eu will not be able to dictate that anymore after March 29th...or at least i bloody hope not!! I do understand the problem lies with the FA and Premier league who love the ££££'s involved...but we need to make a stand!

Any employer can decide what they want to pay for a job....as long as it is above the national minimum wage!!!!...just think they all ought to agree what the top limit should be..

Bad news Val....if we get May's deal we stay under the E.U's jurisdiction untill at least 2021 with no definate end date after that so your proposals will not happen. We vote winners have been turned into vote losers.
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:32 am

valakari wrote:The main reason i voted to leave Europe was so that we could restrict foreign players in our leagues...The Eu will not be able to dictate that anymore after March 29th...or at least i bloody hope not!! I do understand the problem lies with the FA and Premier league who love the ££££'s involved...but we need to make a stand!

As long as the UK is under EU rule, and it looks like that could be a long, long time under the deal Mayhem has on the table, there will be no maximum and even after Brexit, if it ever happens, there is still the "Jimmy Hill" precedent set in a Court case back in 1961 that prevents a maximum being set.
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 862
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 11 Dec 2018, 7:01 pm

It wouldn't fix everything by any stretch, but I'd be enthusiastic about the oft-/long-discussed European Super League. If the Manchesters, Liverpool, and the big London three buggered off to Europe permanently and never played in English domestic competitions again, the biggest money insanity and pressure to compete with it would follow them. In my opinion that would make English domestic competitions much better for those that remained.
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2338
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob Yesterday at 11:13 am

The clubs could get together and collectively say we are not paying any agent fees - it is up to the player to pay their representatives. If all clubs did it then it could stop pretty quickly - however there will always be one (or more than one) that would buck this to gain a competitive advantage (and I fully would expect Mel to be in this camp) so it would never work.

Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 862
    Registration date : 2014-05-23

Post by Mitten State Ram Yesterday at 3:32 pm

rob wrote:The clubs could get together and collectively say we are not paying any agent fees - it is up to the player to pay their representatives.  If all clubs did it then it could stop pretty quickly - however there will always be one (or more than one) that would buck this to gain a competitive advantage (and I fully would expect Mel to be in this camp) so it would never work.

Then the clubs would just pay the fees indirectly in higher wages. Kind of like how high corporate income taxes just get passed to consumers in price hikes. *cough* *cough*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 13 Dec 2018, 8:47 pm