spyglass Search Come On You Rams

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments

RRC
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16553
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments Empty Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments

Post by RRC on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 9:48 pm

After making two changes for the 1-1 home draw with Sheffield Wednesday, Derby made two
    again for the Stoke match. Lawrence came in for the injured Bennett and Roos for Carson.
          Roos
          Bogle Keogh Tomori Malone
          Wilson Huddlestone Johnson
          Lawrence Waghorn Holmes
          subs Carson Wisdom Cole Bird Marriott Nugent Mitchell-Lawson
    Stoke made two changes to the starting lineup in their 0-0 draw at QPR.

Stoke started with their hopeful long ball tactic and Derby replied with a fast counter attack, winning
    a corner, but they wasted the corner as usual. The Rams continued their lively start but their final
    passes let them down. Huddlestone volleyed a poor clearance and Butland made a very good save.
    Derby were a bit less inclined to play their way out of defence, putting the ball safely into touch or trying
    a long, high pass instead. Holmes, assisted by Waghorn, had a shot saved and Wilson had one blocked.
    At the other end Ince broke free with both centre backs out of position but his shot was wide.

A stunning long shot by Holmes struck the post but a Bogle shot was too high. Holmes and Malone
    linked well to open up Stoke's defence but Huddlestone was too slow to reach Malone's fine pass.
    Derby were the better side for most of the half, pressing well, and they didn't allow Stoke to build many
    threatening attacks. The Rams had 11 shots (3 on target) to Stoke's 3 (0 on target) but they still ended
    the half without looking as if they could get the convincing win they so desperately need.
    HT Derby 0-0 Stoke

The start of the second half saw Stoke doing most of the attacking, helped by some careless passing
    and poor control by Derby. Bogle made several good runs but his passing was not good enough to
    trouble the Stoke defence, and Johnson was just wide with a long shot. Stoke switched to a 3-man
    back line on the hour mark, a clear indication that Derby were rarely threatening the Stoke goal.
    A superb run by Lawrence beat three players and won Derby's fourth corner, which was wisely
    taken short and ended with a shot by Malone.

Marriott replaced Waghorn on 70 minutes. There was more urgency about Derby's attacks but their
    final passes didn't improve much and their high crosses were no problem for Stoke. A McClean header
    crashed against the post on 77 minutes, Stoke's closest effort by far. A weak Marriott shot was deflected
    into Butland's arms and a Huddlestone long shot was too high. Mitchell-Lawson made his senior debut
    for Derby when he replaced Lawence on 82 minutes. Shawcross brought down Mitchell-Lawson inches
    outside the penalty area in added time but Wilson was a fraction wide with the free kick.
    FT Derby 0-0 Stoke

The draw puts Derby back into 6th place but Bristol City still have a game in hand and a better
    goal difference. Villa and Preston moved to 2 points behind Derby with wins at Forest and Boro
    and they also have bigger goal differences than the Rams. To have any chance of the playoffs
    Derby are relying on other teams slipping up, rather than their own efforts.

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments Snoopy12
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2312
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments Empty Re: Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments

Post by valakari on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:20 pm

Wilson hit the bar with the free kick!
    valakari
    valakari

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments Empty Re: Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments

Post by valakari on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:24 pm

Also in tbe first half, Huddlestone hit a screamer, brilliant save by Butland.
    Also, Holmes fabulous shot hit the post, then Wilson headed it goalbound, but Butland got down well to save, having just been beaten by the Holmes shot! 
    Why isnt any of that in your report???
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15678
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Wed 13 Mar 2019, 10:32 pm

Played well. All over them 1st half and they can thank Butland they were still in it at HT. Still the better side 2nd half but only just. They played to protect the clean sheet 2nd half and did it well.

MOTM was Jack Butland.

Roos had nothing to do
    Bogle looked a veteran both in attack and defence
    Keogh a rock
    Tomori another rock
    Malone had a good un
    BJ was steady
    Hudds was unlucky not to score
    Holmes yet again good
    Wilson still off the pace and has been ever since his injury
    Waggy everywhere. Just not the right ball.
    Lawro had his best game for a while going back to well before his injury
    Loughborough Ram
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11954
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 8:05 am

I thought that it was another small step forward in terms of the performance but definitely 2 points dropped.

I thought that Stoke were very poor and they have to be very careful because they have an extremely expensive squad which they will need to change before the parachute payments stop or they could end up in big trouble.

The back four played very well, Wilson, Holmes and Lawrence were the pick of the rest, but we need to find goals from somewhere. It would help if we could catch a break but I'm quite positive going into the final push. If we can keep Mount fit I think that we can secure a play off spot although I doubt that we would enter the play offs anything other than underdogs.
    New England Ram
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23705
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:14 am

Played decent and were very unlucky but also lucky at the end when they clattered the post.
    Still not generating enough chances in the box for me though...Waghorn or Marriott who ever is playing is literally starved of any opportunities in the box.

Derby 0-0 Stoke reports and comments Nersig10
    Ram78
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2550
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 11:39 am

Balls played were to stokes 6 foot plus defenders advantage, the game was crying out for that killer ball on the floor but it just didn’t come
    valakari
    valakari

Post by valakari on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 12:05 pm

...missing Mason Mount to unlock the opposition defence with these killer balls on the ground!
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1084
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 9:19 pm

If only for an extra inch here or there, or an extra inch less here or there! WE had 4 shots on target which Buckland got his sticky little hands on, we hit the woodwork twice and had two shots go less than an inch past the post. On another night it could have been 4 - 0 to the mighty Rams!

I missed the first 15 minutes after driving up from Cornwall in my HGV - thanks Boss. I know we didn't win, and we didn't score (the two might be related), but I was satisfied because yet again, there was progress. What caught my eye was that we were pressing and harrying much better last night - not always snapping into the tackle, but getting in their faces pretty well, to the point that on numerous occasions e forced them to go from attack all the way back to Buckland. Admittedly, they weren't too bothered about the attacking side of the match, but we didn't let them settle.

Lawrence was the best we have seen in ages, including tracking back, so maybe the rest while recovering has done him some good. I don't think anybody had an off-night last night, although some reckon Harry Wilson to be below his best. Although many of his challenges are a bit light weight, he never gives up. And he came into his won once we changed to playing the ball on the floor instead of long into the channels. He also seemed to get a bit of licence to roam and cut into midfield, linking play together. Stand out was Bogle who had MacLean in his pocket for all but one of the 90 minutes. He was very accomplished both defending and attacking, although crosses were in need of a little work.

Strangely for me I thought the ref did reasonably well, which is one hell of q complement coming from me! He didn't do much to stamp out the thugging and underhandedness which is Stoke's game, but only missed out when Lawrence was taken out in the first half, signalling no foul when he had both legs whacked from under him, needing several minutes treatment, and a red for an elbow/arm in the face of Wilson(?) in the second half.

As I said, it is great to see the team making progress and improving. Whether it is enough for a promotion push I don't know, or whether it is in preparation for next season maybe - in which case it is more a case of progress for Frank and Jody, who may well have a rather different squad to work with next season. It would be good to see us being quicker to shoot, and quicker to the second ball. Lawrence coming back has shown us what we have missed in his absence, and Mount is to come back soon, so putting all this together, who knows what we could end up achieving?
    valakari
    valakari

Post by valakari on Thu 14 Mar 2019, 10:06 pm

It is Butland, not Buckland!.... and i thought Shawcross should have had a red card for his wipe out of our youngster!
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1084
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 7:26 pm

valakari wrote:It is Butland, not Buckland!.... and i thought Shawcross should have had a red card for his wipe out of our youngster!

Oops

And I agree about Shawcross. Although I always want him to get a red card!!
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6110
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 9:23 pm

We're in the hunt. Mount will be fit after the break. We look a completely different team when he plays.

We still have a sniff.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15678
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 10:07 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:We still have a sniff.

Hope the cold is soon better Stockers
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6110
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 12:52 am

MadAmster wrote:
    Stockport Ram wrote:We still have a sniff.

Hope the cold is soon better Stockers

Pneumonia and a chance in May would do me, My Dear Ammy...
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4123
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 12:00 pm

DavesaRam wrote:
    valakari wrote:It is Butland, not Buckland!.... and i thought Shawcross should have had a red card for his wipe out of our youngster!

Oops

And I agree about Shawcross. Although I always want him to get a red card!!

Wasn't it Shawcross who effectively ended Giles Barnes career in a pre-season 'friendly' a few years ago ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun 25 Aug 2019, 3:18 pm