COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

This sort of thing never happens.......

MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15264
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

This sort of thing never happens....... Empty This sort of thing never happens.......

Post by MadAmster on Fri 15 Mar 2019, 10:17 pm

..... to folk like me. Then one day it does and it's a great ride.

Last week Monday, I was on FB and saw that some chap had posted up a 30 second portion of a new, soon to be released song by Tony Galla. I have known of him for decades so I had a listen. Sounded OK from the short clip so I wrote to the chap asking when it was due to be released and if it would be out on vinyl. He checked me out on FB and saw that I am a soul DJ. Could he send me an MP3 of the song to get my thoughts on it.....

No problem, happy to oblige. The full song was sent. 4 minutes 12 seconds. I liked it but told him it was fine for an LP track but, if I was playing it out at a gig, I would fade it out and fade the next tune in at around 3 minutes 10. A few hours later I got a shortened version from him. Still 15 to 20 seconds too long at 3.34 and told him so. He took notice of my comments and re-edited the song.

Then he came with, Tony did a version of Bobby Paris's I walked away decades ago. They are thinking of putting that on the B side. However, Galla's big tune was In Love. They got to the point, in '66, where In Love was virtually finished. Just needed the horns adding in. That was supposed to happen the next day. Somehow, a DJ from WKBW had got hold of a copy of the song, of course, minus the horns and played it on air that night. It got a good reaction so they released it as was, no horns. In Love is a biggie on the soul scene, always has been and there aren't that many copies still playable. Quality ones go for around a grand!! Anyway, this chap turns out to be the President of Forevermore records and they own, amongst others, the whole back catalogue of the Swan label, including many of Galla's songs. They are starting to record new songs to publish and are also looking at releasing songs recorded all those years ago but never released. 

He sent me a copy of In Love WITH the horns. Loved it immediately. It sounded right. A very good track had been improved. I told him so and said there were 2 ways he could go IMO.

1. Release the new track "Just Can't Stop" with In Love (horned version) on the back and then Galla's unreleased version of I walked away with an up tempo dancer on the flip

2. Go for a huge splash with In Love (Horned version) with I walked away on the B side as that would sell in large numbers and create a new buzz for Galla and for his label and follow that up with Just Can't Stop and an up tempo dancer on the B of that.

He has now sent me a copy of Galla's I walked away. Not as commercial a sound as Paris's original but IMO a more soulful version.

He has said he will keep in touch so hopefully I get to be part of future releases as well........

These last few days of swapping thoughts on this music with the guy who is putting it on the market and has entrusted me with songs that, outside of a handful of folk in the US, nobody else has heard........ it's the stuff dreams are made of.

To say I am right made up is a huge understatement. That he has asked my advice and taken notice of it is gobsmacking.

Following this interchange on Tony Galla he sent me more new tracks from Jackie Gore, former lead singer of the Embers. Again, what did I think of them, what was my advice? Advice duly given, acted on and new MP3s of the edited versions sent for more consideration.

This is the sort of things that usually only happen in dreams.

Where will it end? It might end here. It might lead to collaboration on future releases. I might even get a job offer. Who knows. All I do know is that I am thoroughly enjoying this ride at the moment.
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

This sort of thing never happens....... Empty Re: This sort of thing never happens.......

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 17 Mar 2019, 6:13 pm

MadAmster wrote:..... to folk like me. Then one day it does and it's a great ride.

Last week Monday, I was on FB and saw that some chap had posted up a 30 second portion of a new, soon to be released song by Tony Galla. I have known of him for decades so I had a listen. Sounded OK from the short clip so I wrote to the chap asking when it was due to be released and if it would be out on vinyl. He checked me out on FB and saw that I am a soul DJ. Could he send me an MP3 of the song to get my thoughts on it.....

No problem, happy to oblige. The full song was sent. 4 minutes 12 seconds. I liked it but told him it was fine for an LP track but, if I was playing it out at a gig, I would fade it out and fade the next tune in at around 3 minutes 10. A few hours later I got a shortened version from him. Still 15 to 20 seconds too long at 3.34 and told him so. He took notice of my comments and re-edited the song.

Then he came with, Tony did a version of Bobby Paris's I walked away decades ago. They are thinking of putting that on the B side. However, Galla's big tune was In Love. They got to the point, in '66, where In Love was virtually finished. Just needed the horns adding in. That was supposed to happen the next day. Somehow, a DJ from WKBW had got hold of a copy of the song, of course, minus the horns and played it on air that night. It got a good reaction so they released it as was, no horns. In Love is a biggie on the soul scene, always has been and there aren't that many copies still playable. Quality ones go for around a grand!! Anyway, this chap turns out to be the President of Forevermore records and they own, amongst others, the whole back catalogue of the Swan label, including many of Galla's songs. They are starting to record new songs to publish and are also looking at releasing songs recorded all those years ago but never released. 

He sent me a copy of In Love WITH the horns. Loved it immediately. It sounded right. A very good track had been improved. I told him so and said there were 2 ways he could go IMO.

1. Release the new track "Just Can't Stop" with In Love (horned version) on the back and then Galla's unreleased version of I walked away with an up tempo dancer on the flip

2. Go for a huge splash with In Love (Horned version) with I walked away on the B side as that would sell in large numbers and create a new buzz for Galla and for his label and follow that up with Just Can't Stop and an up tempo dancer on the B of that.

He has now sent me a copy of Galla's I walked away. Not as commercial a sound as Paris's original but IMO a more soulful version.

He has said he will keep in touch so hopefully I get to be part of future releases as well........

These last few days of swapping thoughts on this music with the guy who is putting it on the market and has entrusted me with songs that, outside of a handful of folk in the US, nobody else has heard........ it's the stuff dreams are made of.

To say I am right made up is a huge understatement. That he has asked my advice and taken notice of it is gobsmacking.

Following this interchange on Tony Galla he sent me more new tracks from Jackie Gore, former lead singer of the Embers. Again, what did I think of them, what was my advice? Advice duly given, acted on and new MP3s of the edited versions sent for more consideration.

This is the sort of things that usually only happen in dreams.

Where will it end? It might end here. It might lead to collaboration on future releases. I might even get a job offer. Who knows. All I do know is that I am thoroughly enjoying this ride at the moment.

A job as a producer or co-producer in the music industry can be a great ride! Hope this one flies, Ammy!
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15264
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

This sort of thing never happens....... Empty Re: This sort of thing never happens.......

Post by MadAmster on Sun 17 Mar 2019, 8:58 pm

Me too. At 65 it won't be a huge problem if it doesn't and a full time job in the USA isn't on my to do list.

A part time job as a remote adviser and consultant, however, is a totally different kettle of fish and one I would be delighted to have. A couple of trips Stateside a year paid for by someone else wouldn't go amiss........

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 20 Apr 2019, 10:09 am