Rams v Bristol

MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15730
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Rams v Bristol Empty Rams v Bristol

Post by MadAmster on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 8:46 pm

2 well set up sides playing well enough but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot, The Derby Way.

Roos's one error was not standing tall but going to ground for their first. Weimann did Keogh, ball was cleared, came straight back in  to Weimann, he did well but Roos should have stayed on his feet.

Lowe has done well. Apart from getting done by Weimann for the first Keogh has, 2 misplaced passes apart, done well.

Clarke is doing well.

Malone...... does his best work in the attacking third. Not done well defensively, gave them the ball for their 2nd. Slows play down by having to play it with his left and thereby backwards most of the time. Liability.

Hudds doing well.

Bielik a cople of misplaced passes but will grow into the side

Dowell, an improvement on his previous appearances, he will grow into the side.

Bennett has done well attacking and defending. Great cross spurned by a teammate

Waghorn has been working hard but not got any ball in the danger area.

Lawrence. There is a great player in there waiting to get out but will he ever do it consistently. Great ball in from Bennett and he should have put it away. Nothing really positive about the rest of his game so far. Where is the player we saw against Huddersfield?

The ref. Didn't fall for the Bennett fall. it wasn't a penalty. shortly after that the Bennett challenge was not a free kick, the Hudds challenge was not a free kick. Quite a few pushes in the back from them were free kicks but not given.

Bring Buchanan on for Malone. Whe Bogle is fit play Lowe on the left. malone just doesn't cut it for me.

Give it 15 and then bring on Marriott for Hudds and go 1-4-4-2 and put some urgency into it.
    ToonRam
    ToonRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1962
    First ever game : Too small to remember...
    Number of posts : 113
    Registration date : 2017-07-21

Rams v Bristol Empty Re: Rams v Bristol

Post by ToonRam on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 8:54 pm

Malone catastrophic, Marriott on shortly, surely Pray.....

Sent from Topic'it App
    Mitten State Ram
    Mitten State Ram

First ever game : Rams 0 - 2 Norwich, 21/04/1990 BBG
    Number of posts : 1028
    Registration date : 2014-05-23
    Location : western North Carolina (not the Mitten State, but I can't be arsed to come up with a new moniker)

Post by Mitten State Ram on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 9:42 pm

Absolutely nothing of class out wide. Bristol clogged the middle, content to wait for Derby to spill the ball and safe in the knowledge that we would. They never pressed Malone, Lowe, Bennett, or the utterly useless Jefferzoon (the new Butterfield?), instead simply inviting Derby to go wide. Bristol knew our crosses would be poor, and they invariably were. If we'd played for ten hours the final score would have been Bristol 6-0, possession Derby 85%, Bristol 15%.

What will Leeds do to us?
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 9:46 pm

2nd half, we huffed with the best and we puffed with the best but there is not enough guile in the last third to worry opponents.

Malone, Lawro and Flojo all need "resting".

Bielik is going to be immense.

No complaints about the result. They deserved the points.

The ref? Slightly better than in the first half but still utter crap!!
    need therapy
    need therapy

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Can,t remember
    Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2011-02-01

Post by need therapy on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 9:52 pm

Work in progress. Would prefer that Marriott starts to try get on the front foot then if he is not yet able to do the full 90 due to fitness then substitute him.
    Loughborough Ram
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11969
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 9:53 pm

Very poor in the final third all the way through.

I thought that Lowe was average, Huddlestone was poor, Jozefzoon could cross a road, he is f*ckin useless with absolutely no end product which for a winger is unforgivable.

A game we dominated but probably didn't deserve to win. Probably a good example of why possession based football doesn't guarantee success. If you have players who aren't comfortable with the ball then it doesn't matter what system you play.

It also makes me wonder why thousands of 'ordinary' fans can see what Marriott offers but fully qualified coaches can't. If Marriott plays and stays fit he is an absolute guarantee of goals so find a system to get the best out of him. That must be the starting point everything else will fall into place around that. If you go into home games knowing that you are likely to score at least once you are on the front foot straight away.
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5363
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm

need therapy wrote:Work in progress. Would prefer that Marriott starts to try get on the front foot then if he is not yet able to do the full 90 due to fitness then substitute him.

But what if it is his front foot that's the problem?

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6133
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 10:24 pm

In this team, Bielik is a centre half, not a DM.....and by far the best we have.  The second best is a loanee.

In a good team he could do either job.

In a similar fashion, Dowell is an excellent second midfielder, but his touch and his ease in which he loses possession makes him lightweight in an average team, and one we cannot yet afford.

Lets compare.

Tomori V Clarke.  Different skill sets, but one has pace to get him our of trouble defensively, and is a better passer.

Dowell V Mount.  One doesn't lose the ball and is always available in an offensive sense. The other is a luxury in a good side, and can't therefore start with Lawrence.

Wilson V....we have no comparison, nor an extra dozen goals...unless you count Josefzoon...and we had him already.

Hence my earlier comment about us being 20% down. Cocu has a real chakllenge on his hands.

As for the best goalscorer we have since Bobby Davison? Just start him....and don't drop Waggy.
    chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14759
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Tue 20 Aug 2019, 11:31 pm

Malone telling the West Stand to eff off tonight. At least he’s consistent, it was the East stand’s turn last time. Consistent with his abuse of fans as well as being consistently shite.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2330
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 12:29 am

Malone & Jozefzoon need dropping permanently.
    Not enough legs in midfield, suggest Knight and/or Sibley.
    Marriott , when fit enough will start, probably with Waghorn.
    Lawrence can be a match winner...need to get him on the ball more.
    Full backs...need Bogle fit, and no idea who to play at left back, but Buchanan must be better than the others.
    Not convinced by Roos in goal...Hamer must be close.
    Keogh, Clarke and Bielik must all start.
    Huddlestone , ok with legs around him...
    New England Ram
    New England Ram
    Admin

First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23724
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 4:47 am

I feel for Dowell as I can see the doom merchants circling around him .
    Stocky hits the point though because as I said the other day I don’t think we will seethe best of him until we are on top of teams and really dictating play which we will never do if we play at the sedate pace we played at tonight.
    It doesn’t help us when our most effective wide player our right back is out injured there is little to no threat out wide without him bombing on.
    I’m tired of football in general and ourselves playing across the front of parked buses.
    I’m tired of seeing us play poor balls into Waghorn who I think gets of light because he’s for me not that special at holding onto it he certainly wasn’t tonight.
    That said when their defender can man mark you and get tight knowing there is no threat what so ever behind him only six other defenders then no wonder he’s not getting on the ball.
    But I’m tired of modern football where teams just don’t get the opposition defenders turned and facing their own goal.
    Our best move tonight was Mason B blasting past a fullback and putting a great ball across that should have been a goal.
    It just feels like when we do get in the last third we are trying to walk it in.
    Frustrating tonight but probably predictable unfortunately.

Rams v Bristol Nersig10
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 7:55 am

I understand the emotional call for Marriott but we have to remember that he got injured in pre season and is not yet 90 minute ready. That, and no other reason, is why he isn't starting yet. I have more than enough faith in Cocu and his staff not to rush the lad back as that could so very easily result in a relapse and/or a new injury. Any new injury might be down to him not moving naturally to "protect" the old injury. No point taking a punt and then see him out even longer. He is imporant enough not to rush back.

Mason B's run and cross was one of the highlights of our performance. The other was Max Lowe's identical run and cross down that side. Why we didn't try to replicate those runs is a mystery.

FloJo. I am not sure but, despite him having been played down the right most of his career, I believe he is a left footer and is, therefore, played on the wrong side. He did try down the outside a couple of times but his crosses with his weaker foot were poor. His first thought is to cut inside, a la Robben, and shoot with his left. The problem here is that he is moving right into the overcrowded centre in the heart of the opposition's defence and it all comes to nought. He offers us nothing despite having an "assist" yesterday. He can thank Marriott for that stat.

The same is true on the other flank. Lawro is right footed and plays on the left. He also almost always cuts inside into the defensive bus park and has to play it either back out wide or backwards in the hope we can then find a path through the overcrowded centre.

If we are to continue with this wrong sided wingers ploy then have them frequently swap wings so they can go down the outside and cross with their stronger foot now and again..... or play Bennett (who is also important defensively) who can do just that with either foot.

We will improve as the players get used to each other and we also get Marriott and Holmes fit  enough. The question is, will we improve enough to worry the promotion places? I hope so but think this is a transition season. As long as we are in touch come January, #32 might make the difference.

Bielik is going to be an immense player.
    terminaator
    terminaator

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 120
    Registration date : 2010-10-11

Post by terminaator on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 10:03 am

I have only seen the highlights but FloJo assisted Evans penalty, Wagorns 1v1, now Marrotts goal (albeit it was more down to great individual effort than a great assist). So he does seem to be involved in all the good things in final third. Is he that bad the rest of the time?
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4135
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 12:20 pm

It's early days and we are used to slow starts, but last night's result should send a warning to PC and his backroom team. We have to tighten up defensively and be much more composed in our finishing. Yes you, Mr Lawrence.

We can't give teams a two goal start and expect to win. Both goals last night were avoidable with better defending, especially the second.

Over to you, Mr Cocu.

rob
    rob

First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2514
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 12:25 pm

Why is shinnie on the naughty step - cant be as bad a left back as malone?

and lawrence to me might be a more effective super sub

and start Marriot - if you have to sub him when we are winning better IMO than bringing him on if we are behind (see play off final)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:56 am