Rams v Caerdydd reports

MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15819
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Rams v Caerdydd reports Empty Rams v Caerdydd reports

Post by MadAmster on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:53 am

Despite "only drawing" at home I was more than satisfied with how it went. 1000% better than the performance at Brentford. Fans with the team all the way as well.

Scoring from open play on 6 minutes in  a passage of play in which Holmes, barring injury or suspension, cemented a starting place was just what we needed. Having said that I was surprised the latter part of the attack took place as there was contact between the ball and Waggy's arm and, accidental or not, according to the new guidelines for this season, tha goal should have been chalked off.

10 minutes later, we had a perfectly good shout for a penalty ignored by the ref, IMO he got that as right as he did the one to allow the Malone goal. 

Roll the clock another 2 minutes forward and Cardiff were given a penalty. My first thought was the ref got it right as Keogh was tugging at Glatzel's shirt and then I thought.....NO! The ball came off Glatzel's arm which was away from his body. Free kick to Derby was what he should have called. Pen was given and Glatzel scored for his first League goal for the Bluebirds.

All in all, instead of 1-1 at this point it should have been either 0-0 or 1-0 depending on whether or not we scored our penalty.

Really glad we didn't lose anyway. It seems we still have an awful lot of problems with sides who miss out the midfield and concentrate on getting the ball asap into the box. When they broke they did it very quickly and en masse. They will cause sides a lot problems this season. Colin W was his usual self and I only hope the 4th official doesn't have a ringing in his ears this morning. We had 64% possession, both sides had 13 shots and we had 5 on target to their 4. Pretty even stevens and shows how dangerous they are even with just 1/3 of the possession.

Roos - nearly got to the peno but didn't look like conceding after that apart from the one Malone(?) cleared off the line.

Lowe - his play on the right is improving game by game and it should help him by giving him more options when he returns to the left.

Keogh - had a solid game again. My only criticism of him is that he continued to pass to Clarke in the 2st half when it was painfully obvious the lad was having a stinker and getting progressively worse on the ball as the half went on.

Clarke - The less said about his 1st half performance the better. 2nd half was a great improvement both on and off the ball.

Malone - One of his better games and the goal was well taken albiet from close range. Who expects a left back to be up there in open play?

Holmes - Great performance. I just hope the multitude of clatterings he got don't see him out injured again.

Hudlestone - some errors but cool, calm and collected when it was necessary.

Bielik - after some decent CH appearances he really looked at home in midfield. He will get even better.  

Waggy - very good game despite some overly physical attention at tiimes from Cardiff players.

Marriott - almost back to full sharpness and fitness. Cracking shot that was defelcted onto the bar. Would it have gone in otherwise? We can only speculate.

Lawrence - No end product - again. Still can't tackle properly. Picked up a 5th booking in 7 games and misses the game at Leeds. All of the cards were silly. Last night's was a tackle that didn't need to be made and was one he again made badly. Brilliant at Huddersfield, mediocre ever since. Is he a luxury we can't afford? I am close to being convinced he is.

Ref got the 3 biggest decisions wrong. Wrong on both penalties and should have disallowed our goal. Apart from that, it was a 6 out of 10 performance from him.

I would have preferred a win
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6157
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Rams v Caerdydd reports Empty Re: Rams v Caerdydd reports

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:57 am

Great minds O Great One - I'll move my "Phillip V Colin" post thread to yours as it makes sense. We mirror our beloved Rams  in a Chuckle Brothers "to me, to you" duality.

Malone was the dreaded "backstop" as Clarke made the goal line clearance. A curate's egg of a performance from our first choice centre half - poor before the break but excellent afterwards.
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 11:02 am

Ninety six minutes which showed us all that patience is the key.

Lots of examples of players not knowing where their colleagues should/would be - not just in the occasional incisive forward passing moves, put also in the three yard sideways passes some fifty yards from the opposition goal.

No criticism from me, even for their penalty - we are learning how a new (and quality) manager wants us to play, and it takes time.

A little (well maybe a lot) naive against Colin's hoofball (or rather hoof throw ins), but that's nothing new - we've suffered from this for over a decade.

As Mr Cocu said, if we keep playing like that, and crucially learn from our mistakes and learn our expected roles, we will make progress.

Probably not as fast as last season, because the personnel are not as good - but progress nonetheless.
    Loughborough Ram
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11985
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 11:54 am

Amster, just on their penalty, surely the correct decision was made because the pull on the shirt occurred before the hand ball.

I thought that it was a decent game, I thought that overall we deserved to win but I concur with 'the chuckle brothers' that this is a work in progress. I doubt we are heading for ultimate success this season but I am confident that we won't be in the bottom half come the end of the season as long as the fans expectations don't turn into unfair pressure on Cocu and the team.

If, and it's a big if, Holmes and Beilick can stay fit, we can get some confidence into Clarke and we make a couple of quality signings in addition to Rooney, you just never know, but there are a lot of stars that need to fall into line.

Just finally, ignoring the 3 big decisions, I thought that the ref was awful last night, some of his decision were inexplicable especially the clear foul by Mendez Laing on Holmes when he completely went through the back of him to win a header.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 12:26 pm

.... which was why I gave him a 6 Loughie.

I reckon you might be right on their penalty, see, even refs can get it wrong once in a while Wink
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5393
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 12:39 pm

I am still not convinced we have the right players or tactics for Cocu's brand of football, I'm going to work from the ideal world by way of explanation. These points are meant in an observational sense, not meant as criticism of players or manager.

Roos - doing a fair job but being asked to be a footballing custodian is causing concern in hurtful areas

Lowe - being played on the right is demeaning his skillset as seen against Cardiff when he tried to get the ball on his left to cross, and failed to connect properly more than once.  

Bielik -  finally played in the position meant for him, which for me, earned the MOTM award.

Waghorn -  taking corners and free kicks into the oppositions' area when he should be there to receive them?

Clarke -  A rough diamond, but against Cardiff looked like a player from the lower leagues not sure of what his role was.

Marriot - a natural goalscorer with a totally inadequate service, he needs a partner up front.

N.B. Chris Martin is not the answer.......

N.B B. I have got one criticism to make......Why was Lawrence in the team? He spent the whole match nibbling at the opposition's ankles and finally got the yellow card he was asking for, he is now suspended for one match, the Leeds encounter, coincidence? I'll put my tin hat on!

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    New England Ram
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23753
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 5:30 pm

Cocu still playing with someone else’s hand.
    His one proper signing is a beast Clarke looked like we had already broken him first half last night but Tomori was all over the place at this stage last season. Paterson looks like he was a last minute desperation loan signing to fill a gap if needed and Dowell has struggled as has the team.
    Roos is a decent shot stopper but a nightmare with any cross under pressure,
    Marriott isolated but he was last season on many occasions.
    Lawrence I’ve defended but enough I would give him a chance as a out and out second forward with less duty to track back and see if he can produce if not bye .
    Cocu needs time we need to stick with a manager for longer than 90 minutes .

Rams v Caerdydd reports Nersig10
    Ram78
    Ram78

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1989
    First ever game : vs Arsenal at BBG
    Number of posts : 2560
    Registration date : 2011-01-17

Post by Ram78 on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 7:20 pm

Marriot needs a goal, 1 in 19 isn't good for our main striker
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Sun 15 Sep 2019, 10:43 pm

A great thing about Friday night's match was that we weren't bullied by the Cardiff team which consisted almost entirely of gorillas. We might have been out-muscled at times, but not bullied, so well done. That is progress. Cardiff were not only physical, they were dirty, they dived, pushed, shoved, took 5 - 10 yards extra at throw ins, harangued the ref, and played hoof ball. i could be forgiven for thinking it was a Neil Warnock team .......................... oh wait ..............

For the first 15 minutes we were crafting chances while Cardiff were kicking the ball up in the air. I find it fitting that the first thing which Colin did after coming onto to pitch after the match wasn't to congratulate the team for a hard-fought point. No, he went straight to the ref and shook his hand. Which was actually no surprise. One wonders whether he was simply confirming the value of a few well spent fivers. It wasn't just the penalty decisions, it was his entire performance. From stopping play because of a not-head injury. I thought head injury was the only reason to stop the game? I don't know who he was, but the Cardiff Number 13 is lucky to be alive- he suffered at least 4 head injuries, as well as a knee and a couple of ankle injuries, and the ref bought them all. Or was it that the ref was bought? Somehow Holmes was consistently bullying the 7 foot Cardiff man-mountains. There should have been 3 yellow cards towards the end of the first half for diving, but nothing given, and the heinous assault on Holmes in the second half was outrageous. The defender not only clattered into him and flattened him, but elbowed him in the back of the head as well. But despite stopping the game every time a Ram stood on a Cardiff shadow, the ref let play go on, despite Holmes clutching his head.

The re f has already won the annual "Worst ref at a Derby game by a country mile. But that means that for the rest of the season we are going to get a load of even worse performances because every ref from now on will be trying to outdo tonight's pathetic lump to get their hands on the much coveted prize.

There was an improvement in our passing tonight, with some great pass-and-move one-twos, and some very intelligent through balls which were very close to cutting Cardiff wide open. Perversely we had a patch towards the end of the first half when the entire defence went AWOL with their passing, but we got away with it. It is also clear that Malone has learned the importance of the phrase "ROW Z", and had a much improved game as a result. Marriott worked hard with scraps, and a curious insistence to play high balls for a guy who is only 5 foot not very much inches against the 7 ft Neanderthals which made up the Cardiff defence. His only real opportunity saw the bar being rattled. MOM by a huge distance was Beilik. Great at tackling and breaking up play, he has Thorne's ability to get himself between his opponent and the ball, he looks to get things moving and can run well with the ball. Hopefully, having finally landed where he should be, I hope that he will flourish in his new position. It was also good to see the Wardrobe back amongst us. He didn't change the game, but his awareness where all his team-mates are allowing him to play some great lay-offs and through balls.

We are nearly there, guys. It won't take much to get things clicking. It may not be the best squad we have had n recent years, but we still have some good potential which i am sure that Cocu will bring out. My only concern is our lack of depth. Having seen a lot of other players come and go in the team, tonight's team is probably the best we have out of this squad, at least until the next window, so we are running a little thin in terms of injuries.

We have to sit tight, and keep our support going while we wait. COME ON YOU RAMS!!!!
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:40 am

Ram78 wrote:Marriot needs a goal, 1 in 19 isn't good for our main striker

Proof that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Nearly all of the 19 have been end of game minutes as a substitute coming back from mjury and/or illness.

I would like to draw a parallel with Chris Martin. He played 13 games for us at the back end of the 12/13 season. If my memory hasn't deserted me, all 13 appearances were as a sub. He got 2 goals in those 13 appearances. An awful lot of Ramkind were dead set against NC signing Coldplay on a permanent deal. It turned out to be the best £0 DCFC has ever spent. He didn't score in the opening game of the 13/14 season but got 2 in the 2nd and that was the start of 60 goals in 3 seasons. I remember defending the signing on here, time and again as people said he brought nothing..... I pointed out the passes, flicks, knock ons and little dummy runs that were manna from heaven for his teammates. Nice to know I got one forecast right.

Marriott hasn't become a dud overnight. He had that severe illness last season, injured in pre season this. For the 2nd season running he has had to play catch up to get fit. He is now fit enough to start and only game time will see the old sharpness return. Not on here but on most sicial media platforms, Cocu was lambasted by folk demanding Marriott be in the matchday squad when he was just not fit or, later, starting when he was only fit enough for a 15 to 20 minute cameo. FL still gets criticised for not starting him and Waggy at Wembley. Neither was fit enough.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2373
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 3:58 pm

Marriott hasnt/ wont get the service this season, no Mount and Wilson. He would get more opportunities if he played off Chris Martin...as he did on the US pre season tour!...and probably when Rooney comes in January.
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Post by Stockport Ram on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 6:14 pm

MadAmster wrote:
    Ram78 wrote:Marriot needs a goal, 1 in 19 isn't good for our main striker

Proof that there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Nearly all of the 19 have been end of game minutes as a substitute coming back from mjury and/or illness.

I would like to draw a parallel with Chris Martin. He played 13 games for us at the back end of the 12/13 season. If my memory hasn't deserted me, all 13 appearances were as a sub. He got 2 goals in those 13 appearances. An awful lot of Ramkind were dead set against NC signing Coldplay on a permanent deal. It turned out to be the best £0 DCFC has ever spent. He didn't score in the opening game of the 13/14 season but got 2 in the 2nd and that was the start of 60 goals in 3 seasons. I remember defending the signing on here, time and again as people said he brought nothing..... I pointed out the passes, flicks, knock ons and little dummy runs that were manna from heaven for his teammates. Nice to know I got one forecast right.

Marriott hasn't become a dud overnight. He had that severe illness last season, injured in pre season this. For the 2nd season running he has had to play catch up to get fit. He is now fit enough to start and only game time will see the old sharpness return. Not on here but on most sicial media platforms, Cocu was lambasted by folk demanding Marriott be in the matchday squad when he was just not fit or, later, starting when he was only fit enough for a 15 to 20 minute cameo. FL still gets criticised for not starting him and Waggy at Wembley. Neither was fit enough.

Agree 100% about Marroitt Ammy. I was only thinking how false that stat was after he had scored two at Elland Road in the Playoff semi 2nd leg. Possibly, nay probably, the two most important goals of our season.

Frank may have gone but he left us with an absolute nugget.
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1109
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 8:33 pm

Marriott's weakness on Friday night was that he isn't 7 foot tall. When he came on to the pitch, the rest of the team kept hurling sky-scratchers at him. It is quite surprising just how high he can jump, but he couldn't compete against the Cardiff neanderthals. The ball played to feet is what he needs, or a lay-off or through ball. All we need is a player who is good at that sort of thing to play alongside him. Whistle
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4158
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 10:04 pm

DavesaRam wrote:Marriott's weakness on Friday night was that he isn't 7 foot tall. When he came on to the pitch, the rest of the team kept hurling sky-scratchers at him. It is quite surprising just how high he can jump, but he couldn't compete against the Cardiff neanderthals. The ball played to feet is what he needs, or a lay-off or through ball. All we need is a player who is good at that sort of thing to play alongside him. Whistle

Agreed. Kevin Hector wasn't exactly a giant, but he was quick, deadly in front of goal and was well served by his team mates. Marriott has shown he has a goalscorer's instincts, just get the ball to him on the floor.

MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 7:33 am

Coldplay is, finally, nearing fitness. Knocks, pulls and twists have had an effect on his availability but the biggest issue was whatever illness it was that he has had for a while. A fit and firing CM might just be the player to get the best out of Jack and Waggy. I hope so. It would be great if Rams fans could remember him as a double figures a season striker who set up even  more for his fellow forwards rather than falling down wardrobe tag he currently carries.

I hope so for his sake. Before his troubles and the change of style which really doesn't suit him he was among everybody's list of favourite players. Here's to him getting back there. It would be great for the club.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2373
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 2:07 pm

Here here

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content