Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing

SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5393
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing Empty Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 4:05 pm

Tom Lawrence is now suspended for the Leeds game having amassed 5 yellow cards in short order for the Rams.

Do you see it as a team weakening blow or a chance to make it a blessing for a team strengthening exercise?

Who would fill Tom's now empty slot and why?

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2373
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing Empty Re: Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing

Post by valakari on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 5:02 pm

He is either very good(Huddersfield), or anonymous(every other game so far)...so perhaps try something different...personally, id like to see Chris Martin up to with Marriott and Waghorn playing off him...that way we can still play 4-3-3...with Holmes, Bielik and Huddlestone in midfield.
    I would get Sibley onto the bench with Bennett, for fresh legs later in the game.
    Full backs are a concern, but when fit, Bogle and Forsyth will make us stronger.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15819
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing Empty Re: Lawrence Suspension - Blow Or Blessing

Post by MadAmster on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 5:04 pm

SawleyRam wrote:Tom Lawrence is now suspended for the Leeds game having amassed 5 yellow cards in short order for the Rams.

Do you see it as a team weakening blow or a chance to make it a blessing for a team strengthening exercise?

Who would fill Tom's now empty slot and why?

To me it's a blessing. He has done niks, nada, nothing, zero, zilch since the Huddersfield game where he was brilliant. Harsh? Maybe as he has had a couple of mazy runs but they have all ended in no acceptable end product. Ban or no ban he must have been close to being dropped anyway. I have come to the conclusion that he is a luxury we can't afford. Off the top of my head, two of the cards were for stupid tackles and the other 3 for gobbing off at the ref and/or otherwise communicating his unhappy feelings to the ref.

The DYS away is a game for bravehearts. Tom doesn't fit the bill. We need players who will stand up and be counted. I think we will start with the 1-4-2-3-1 which seems to be Cocu's preferred formation based on the players available. Based on that you probably have to look for a like for like swap. That means someone who can play that left side winger cum midfielder role. From the fit first team squad members we have Paterson, FloJo, Mitchell-Lawson and Whittaker to choose from. Anya, definitely, and Bennett, quite likely, are both injured so I shall ignore them for this game.

Paterson has, IMO, done abolutely nothing of note to warrant a start. Whittaker plays down the right so that leaves FloJo and M-L. Simply for his experience I would go for FloJo and and have M-L on the bench.

That's what I think PC will do provided there are no more injury issues (Bielik and Holmes - coincidentally our 2 best players against Caerdydd).

What would I do? As you will probably remember, I like a horses for courses methodology and this is a game where, had we not sold him in the summer, Bradley Johnson is a player I would call on. I can't so, what would I do? I'd go 1-3-5-2 and tell the 2 wing backs that when one goes on the attack, the other doesn't.

Roos
    Keogh Clarke Davies
    Lowe Holmes Bielik Hudds Malone
    Waggy Marriott

Subs: Hamer, Mitchell-Lawson, Knight, Bennett (or Dowell if he's not fit), Martin, Sibley, FloJo
    Bobbies Helmet
    Bobbies Helmet

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 273
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Post by Bobbies Helmet on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 8:10 pm

Hopefully Derby will play well at Leeds to be able to bench him for the Birmingham game, this will give him a big wake up call
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4158
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 9:55 pm

Apart from the Huddersfield game, Lawrence has been a luxury we can't afford. I was hoping he'd step up and provide some quality finishing when Mount and Wilson went back to Chelsea, but it just hasn't happened.

Let's hope the enforced rest may be just what he and the team needs.

baseballer
    baseballer

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Coventry away 1978
    Number of posts : 795
    Registration date : 2009-10-03

Post by baseballer on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 12:20 am

valakari wrote:He is either very good(Huddersfield), or anonymous(every other game so far)...so perhaps try something different...personally, id like to see Chris Martin up to with Marriott and Waghorn playing off him...that way we can still play 4-3-3...with Holmes, Bielik and Huddlestone in midfield.
    I would get Sibley onto the bench with Bennett, for fresh legs later in the game.
    Full backs are a concern, but when fit, Bogle and Forsyth will make us stronger.

Spot on
    rob
    rob

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Early 1973/4 season cant remember who
    Number of posts : 2521
    Registration date : 2011-06-07

Post by rob on Fri 20 Sep 2019, 2:21 pm

hopefully we will learn to play more consistently and not have a UB40 player in the team (one in ten for the younger occupants of the site)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 21 Oct 2019, 1:57 pm