SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 5393
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

The Mel Morris Myth Empty The Mel Morris Myth

Post by SawleyRam on Sun 22 Sep 2019, 10:26 pm

The myth is growing with time about Mel Morris as the owner that sacks managers, let's have a look at his record since he took over in 2015.

Phillip Cocu 05 Jul, 2019 Present

Frank Lampard 31 May, 2018 04 Jul, 2019 - Left For Chelsea - not dismissed

Gary Rowett 14 Mar, 2017 22 May, 2018 - Left for Stoke - not dismissed

Steve McClaren 10 Oct, 2016 14 Mar, 2017 - Dismissed for footballing reasons

Nigel Pearson 27 May, 2016 09 Oct, 2016 - Pearson left the club by mutual consent - not dismissed

Darren Wassall 08 Feb, 2016 27 May, 2016 - Was caretaker manager but not then qualified to take the job full time - not dismissed

Paul Clement 01 Jun, 2015 08 Feb, 2016 - Dismissed for footballing reasons. (official take)

Steve McClaren 30 Sep, 2013 25 May, 2015 - McClaren was pushed before he jumped (Newcastle) a decision taken so the next manager could organise the pre season for Derby - no blame

8 managers

1 current manager

2 left for other clubs

1 by mutual consent

1 caretaker manager

2 were dismissed

1 no blame for MM

Only 2 were dismissed for football reasons or one if you believe rumours of club employees's wives.

Cocu would have to get the club in real danger of relegation in order to be dismissed.

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    CornwallRam
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6572
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

The Mel Morris Myth Empty Re: The Mel Morris Myth

Post by CornwallRam on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 12:19 am

If the rumours are to be believed, neither Clement nor Pearson were 'sacked' for footballing reasons. OK, both were failing to deliver on the pitch, so when things allegedly 'happened', Mel didn't have any good reasons not to jettison them, but both apparently brought their dismissals on themselves.

I'd say that McClaren is the only manager that Mel has got rid of, and both times he showed his limitations as a manager. IMO, Tufty is a 'feel good' manager who gets instant results by lifting the players' spirits. The problem is that he has nothing else to offer when the initial bounce fades.

I think that Mel has been generally poor in selecting managers, but actually spot on in getting rid of them.

Last edited by CornwallRam on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2373
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 1:20 am

Too many different style managers...bring in players to suit their style...then left on long contracts and in the wilderness when they dont suit the new managers' style!
    Mel should have, decided on a manager to suit the players he was inheriting...this is not rocket science!
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 15819

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:46 am

I don't think Cocu's style is all that far away from FL's. There has been a lot of talk about him having to learn about the Championship and player's having to get to grips with his requirements.

I think that with Mason Mount on the left side of midfield, Fikayo Tomori alongside Keogh and Harry Wilson on the right wing we would already be in the top 6..............
    valakari
    valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 12:21 pm

Totally agree Mad, but knowing these players are gone, it was his job to get in suitable replacements..and tbh, he hasn't!
    Jury is out on Patterson...as i've always rated him, but Dowell!!..defo not.
    Clarke, not sure?
    Bielik, yes, but not anywhere near £10 m yet!!
    Both our dutchmen get picked and are not good enough..
    mcsilks
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 499
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 12:59 pm

I just look at the facts.

8 managers in the last 5 years.
    A chairman who has been nationally ridiculed for his wanting to be too hands on.

MM has tried but to no avail. That is why he is looking to sell up and get out. He probably wishes he never got involved with DCFC and while I appreciate his effort; we are absolutely no better off than had we had any other Tom, Dick and Harry running the club.

Under his stewardship, the club has made a series of bad decisions regards the management of the club and bad decision after bad decision regarding the playing staff.

Those really are the cold hard facts.

SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Post by SawleyRam on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 4:20 pm

mcsilks wrote:I just look at the facts.

A chairman who has been nationally ridiculed for his wanting to be too hands on.

MM has tried but to no avail. That is why he is looking to sell up and get out. He probably wishes he never got involved with DCFC and while I appreciate his effort; we are absolutely no better off than had we had any other Tom, Dick and Harry running the club.

Under his stewardship, the club has made a series of bad decisions regards the management of the club and bad decision after bad decision regarding the playing staff.

Is Blame Management a job? Forgive me for asking but you appear to be highly proficient at what you write on here, especially with that extra sense of hindsight you display, a truly wonderful gift.

valakari
    valakari

Post by valakari on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 5:08 pm

Tbh, he owns the ground so i doubt Mel will go far, if at all!!!!
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:40 pm

valakari wrote:Totally agree Mad, but knowing these players are gone, it was his job to get in suitable replacements..and tbh, he hasn't!
    Jury is out on Patterson...as i've always rated him, but Dowell!!..defo not.
    Clarke, not sure?
    Bielik, yes, but not anywhere near £10 m yet!!
    Both our dutchmen get picked and are not good enough..

Paterson - totally agree
    Dowell - based on what he's done here I agree but he has played so much better elsewhere
    Clark - Described as a ball playing centre half and looked it before he came here. Has looked poor in possession the last 2 games especially when the oppo press high and in numbers. Is it because he hasn't been put under that amount of pressure in the past?
    Bielik - The fee was, apparently £8M rising to a possible £10M with add-ons. He looks like he will be very good.

The Dutch lads? Kelle Roos plays because he plays the sweeper role Cocu likes his keeper's to play. Hie distribution is better than Hamer/Mitchell and he is a very good shot stopper. On Saturday against the DYS he had 2 rushes of blood but got away with them and he really should be catching more balls than he does IMO.
    FloJo? I said when he came it was not a signing I would make. Shame for the lad but I got that right.
    mcsilks
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:04 am

SawleyRam wrote:

Is Blame Management a job? Forgive me for asking but you appear to be highly proficient at what you write on here, especially with that extra sense of hindsight you display, a truly wonderful gift.

I'm merely stating facts.

I think he has made some stupid and ill thought decisions. I am of the opinion that bringing in Wane Rooney will turn out to be one of his daftest yet.

Some of the deals he has sanctioned have left me shaking my head in disbelief.

For a businessman who has been so successful in his other ventures, it must frustrate him greatly that he is yet to find any joy with DCFC despite his every effort.

I know for many on this site, it is something of a MM love in but just because someone has poured their heart and soul into the club doesn't mean they are not open to criticism.
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Post by SawleyRam on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 12:36 am

mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

I think he has made some stupid and ill thought decisions. I am of the opinion that bringing in Wane Rooney will turn out to be one of his daftest yet.

For a businessman who has been so successful in his other ventures, it must frustrate him greatly that he is yet to find any joy with DCFC despite his every effort.

I know for many on this site, it is something of a MM love in but just because someone has poured their heart and soul into the club doesn't mean they are not open to criticism.

Is Blame Management a job? Forgive me for asking but you appear to be highly proficient at what you write on here, especially with that extra sense of hindsight you display, a truly wonderful gift that keeps on giving.

mcsilks
    mcsilks

Post by mcsilks on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 4:29 am

SawleyRam wrote:
    mcsilks wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:

Is Blame Management a job? Forgive me for asking but you appear to be highly proficient at what you write on here, especially with that extra sense of hindsight you display, a truly wonderful gift that keeps on giving.

I'm not blaming anyone.

Is there something I am saying you disagree with.

If so, let's hear it.

Bang head
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster on Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:52 am

8 managers in 5 years is in fact 9 managers in 5. That is, IMO, not the full picture and is an example of "there are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics. Let's take a look at the background.....

1. We still have Cocu

2. FL walked which he was always going to do if/when Chelsea came calling

3. Rowett walked because he wasn't going to be given the amount of money he wanted to spaff up the wall

4. Steve Mclaren (2) sacked and most fans understood why and agreed

5. Chris Powell was only ever a caretaker manager and both sides understood that

6. Nigel Pearson had us playing dire football, averaging a point a game and them came the alleged series of events starting with a 1st team coach being suspended for, alegedly, hitting a player and we all know where the rumours say it ended. No way back from there.

7. Darren Wassall was only ever interim and understood that. Post season he wanted the job permanently but it speaks volumes for him that he is still with us and in the same job as head of the academy.

8. Paul Clement had us playing what I christened footbore. He was given KPIs by Mel which were the same as those given to all of his successors. He wasn't developing the style, it wasn't entertaining, he wasn't using the academy players and then the results went downhill fast. No surprise he was sacked.

9. Steve Mclaren (1) was a great ride but, as with his second tenure, his sacking was no great surprise and hardly criticised by fans.

Looking back, it seems Mel has, overall, a poor track record in hiring managers but a good one in getting rid of them. Hopefully, given time and patience, Cocu will last a bit longer than his predecessors. However, the average tenure in the Championship is 0.86 years so he may be gone, if he survives the average length of time, in the 2nd week of May 2020, just after the season's end.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content