COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

Why I am a Derby County supporter

Why I am a Derby County supporter

Post by Guest on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 10:02 pm

For most of you, being a Derby County supporter is not a matter of choice but of destiny and family.
    I was brought up in the S.E. of London and neither my mum or dad were football supporters.
    At primary school I got into football and a friend of mine, who had moved from Barnes was a big Fulham fan.His dad took us to my first football game and I saw Fulham beat Aston Villa 4-1. Actually the final score was 5-1 but we left before the end. I have NEVER left a game before the final whistle since!
    Johnny Haynes, George Cohen, Alan Clarke- but my favourite was Les Barrett, on the wing.
    Continued to watch Fulham but also persuaded my dad to take me to some local matches- Charlton, Millwall, Crystal Palace.(And yes, someone gave me a crate to stand on so I could see the game...have you guessed how old I am now?!)
    Then the violence came. I grew my hair and listened to Frank Zappa and Jimi Hendrix and gave up on the beautiful game. Ran away from skinheads calling me a Jew because...well because they were racist but not very clever.
    Fast forward. Moved to Derby in '85. Start a family- with some help! Son becomes football mad-playing that is. (Scores the winner in a penalty shoot out- how proud can you get!)
    All his friends start "supporting" clubs- Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Blackburn.What do I do? We can hear the Rams scoring at the Baseball ground from our front doorstep.
    If he is to support a club it will be Derby where he at least is born and bred.
    It helps of course that this is Jimmy Smith's promotion season but I take him along and we are both hooked. Not just the game but walking to the game down the narrow streets. First there are just the 2 of you walking out the front door. 2 streets later there are 5, then 10 then 100s then thousands, squeezing into the Normanton streets.
    We got home and both my partner and daughter were jealous of the obvious excitement on our faces.
    We bought two 1/2 season ticket for the rest of the season and all 4 of us took turns to go.
    The children have moved on and away since but my partner and I have had season tickets ever since.Following Derby County taught my children about excitement, disappointment
    victory and defeat, loyalty against the odds.
    I enjoy the pint with friends before the game, the banter with away supporters who generally share the same feelings as we do.I enjoy the tension, created as often as not by careless play. I enjoy shouting "overhere!" as I desperately want us to use the width of the park. We sit in row BB and my partner particularly enjoys the fact that the referee can hear the advice she gives.
    I enjoy the joy and I "enjoy" the despair- every year we say: "shall we renew?" and we know we will.
    That is why I am a Derby County supporter. I can't remember who did what and when usually- I enjoy the atmosphere, the tension, the occasional skill, the blood sweat and tears.
    That is why I am a Derby County supporter, why I respect genuine supporters of other teams and why the WUMs can't touch me.
    Mostyn

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : v Norwich City. 26th December 1987.
    Number of posts : 2782
    Registration date : 2009-02-22

Re: Why I am a Derby County supporter

Post by Mostyn on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 10:38 pm

reading this has put me in a much better mood.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people end up supporting Derby when there is no obvious connection with the club or city.

thanks for believing.
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11681
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm

Good story, far more boring for me, I never knew any different, I grew up listening to Barry Ecclestone commentating on the great European nights, at the age of seven or eight sitting in the kitchen on my own and hearing the great names of our history while my dad was at the match with his mates. Different these days when families go together with the advent of all seater stadiums, no chance of being separated by a baying throng of thousands, excited by watching momentous matches on that wonderful Baseball Gorund pitch

I am very harsh on people who don't support their local team and looking back it is grossly unfair because when I started supporting the Rams they were the best, I could support my local team without being called a glory hunter, a luxury not afforded to the youth of today. So maybe instead of slagging off all of those Man Utd glory hunters, I should be praising the brave ones who despite all of the distractions stick with their local team even though we have more lows than highs, unlike my days when highs were the norm and lows were just blips.

chicken
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14703
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 10:45 pm

I think most of you know my story. I just followed my dad, who followed his dad, who followed his dad, and with my lad that makes 5 generations.
    Tilly

Number of posts : 1552
    Registration date : 2009-04-11

Post by Tilly on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 10:59 pm

My parents are southerners. They supported Millwall and Watford. They moved up to Derby in 1965 and started going to Derby.

My earliest memory is waiting at the window for my dad to come home from football as we were banned from watching Dr Who if he wasn't home. Saturday afternoons were dominated by the radio so we could gauge what sort of mood he would come home in. We had a signed photo of Archie Gemmill on the living room wall next to a piece of the Baseball Ground turf.

I started going when the Key Club End opened. Entry was via a small plastic key and we all got a free programme. The first game I really remember was against Rotherham on the Friday night. Watching games from behind the cages and being eye level with the pitch.

Early 90s I got married and dropped away from football. Still looked for the results though.

I went to the play off final and that was the best day out. I lived through the premiership season getting plenty of stick from all my other non-Derby mates. But whenever I got into conversation with them all I had to say was "they are my team" and people understood. I now have a season ticket for the second year and wonder how I ever managed without it.

I live 7 minutes walk from Burton Albion's ground and have thought about changing my allegience but I can't. I'm addicted to Derby and will support them whatever.
    south_eastern_ram

Number of posts : 2649
    Registration date : 2009-02-26

Post by south_eastern_ram on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 11:02 pm

Most know my story, watching Wanchope dance around Uniteds defence inspired me. Haven't looked back since!
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 15002
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 11:03 pm

Like Chicken, Grandad was a fan, Dad was a fan, I still am and my 2 Dutch born sons support DERBY!!!

I can now die happily in the knowledge that I got at least one thing right....

Post by Guest on Mon 07 Sep 2009, 11:05 pm

I have suggested to an Aston Villa supporter who lives in Lichfield that we cut our loses and go for a Burton but we know it won't happen!
    Come on you Rams!
    New England Ram
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23437
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by New England Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 5:17 am

Nice story overhere and don't worry we will keep you safe from the wums onhere.

rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4444
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 6:30 am

My dad first took me to the BBG way back in the early 60's just before a certain Mr Clough arrived.Despite the club floundering in the lower reaches of division 2,it did not and has not ever occurred to me to support any other club.
    Football and Derby County FC has always been a part of my life,like a cup of tea,and despite some huge glories and huge disappointments I feel my life would be impoverished without it.

The ones I feel sorry for are those that can not understand the anticipation,the passion,the drama,the excitement,they really do miss out.
    COYR

Post by Guest on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 8:04 am

Mine is fairly similar to most on here. Born in Ilson, why do some who are born here support Florist, its in Derbyshire for gods sake. My grandad supported the Rams, my dad supported the Rams, no choice really. and thankfully like Mad Amster my two sons support the Rams. Both born in Lincolnshire where there are many a red dog.
    Charingworth Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1974
    First ever game : Liverpool home won 2-0 1974
    Number of posts : 9224

Post by Charingworth Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 8:29 am

Good team or bad team they are my team always have been always will be that's my story and i am considering writing a book about it Thumbs up
    premier ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1978
    First ever game : Rams vs chelsea 1986
    Number of posts : 751
    Registration date : 2009-04-08

Post by premier ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 9:34 am

Derby is in my blood from the minute my dad took me on the popside.

My passion for the rams is 100% and when we won at wembley was in tears lol
    robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by robtheglostaram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 11:30 am

south_eastern_ram wrote:Most know my story, watching Wanchope dance around Uniteds defence inspired me. Haven't looked back since!

Snap! Coupled with family connections! I could have leaned towards United, with that being my first game, but glad I never!

Post by Guest on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 12:46 pm

I'm a Derby fan because of my dad. I was born just outside Derby and started off as a Liverpool fan when I was a kid but gradually I started to understand my heritage and realised being a Derby fan actually meant something. I never saw the great sides of the 70s but despite nobody knowing much about Derby in the world I see it a something to be proud of.

The fact we have a film now where Derby is a big part is fantastic.
    wilmortonRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    First ever game : v Barnsley - W 4-1
    Number of posts : 4335
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by wilmortonRAM on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 12:50 pm

I'm a Derby fan because of my dad too. The current status of the club, and the direction we are heading in makes me proud again.

Anyone who gets jumped up about Hulse, the board, or Clough needs to question their "fan" status.
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 1:16 pm

my reasons are simple
    Parents split up and mum moved back to her roots in Derby
    Grandad was a season ticket holder and started to take me first to reserves and then first team
    Never looked back and never wished I support anyone else :rams:

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1995
    First ever game : vs Tranmere Rovers 1995
    Number of posts : 1334
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by 101 on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 1:41 pm

Me Dad always tells me this story: I just got into football and my friends at the time were Man u fans, so i asked my dad for a Man u shirt he clouted me around the back of the head and said "Dont be stupid boy" he took me to my first game at the BBG againast Tranmere rovers and ive never looked back.
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 1:53 pm

Charingworth Ram wrote:Good team or bad team they are my team always have been always will be that's my story and i am considering writing a book about it Thumbs up

Can't wait for that Chaz, don't you think you ought to learn to write first though :whis:
    wilmortonRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    First ever game : v Barnsley - W 4-1
    Number of posts : 4335
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by wilmortonRAM on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 2:56 pm

101 wrote:Me Dad always tells me this story: I just got into football and my friends at the time were Man u fans, so i asked my dad for a Man u shirt he clouted me around the back of the head and said "Dont be stupid boy" he took me to my first game at the BBG againast Tranmere rovers and ive never looked back.
    Almost identical to my story! I remember at the age of about 5 I bought a footy magazine and stuck a Man U poster on my wall. My dad went f*cking crazy!

Post by Guest on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 3:12 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:
    Charingworth Ram wrote:Good team or bad team they are my team always have been always will be that's my story and i am considering writing a book about it Thumbs up

Can't wait for that Chaz, don't you think you ought to learn to write first though :whis:

Don't pick on him Loughie, he will be fine once he has sharpened his crayons
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 3:18 pm

I wouldn't trust him with anything as sharp as a pencil sharpener Ancient.
    M.M

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Derby vs Hearts ages ago 4-4
    Number of posts : 3257

Post by M.M on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 3:54 pm

Q. Why are you a Derby county supporter?

A. Because you (b)aaaare

LOL
    Mostyn

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : v Norwich City. 26th December 1987.
    Number of posts : 2782

Post by Mostyn on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 3:58 pm

rjrules71 wrote:My dad first took me to the BBG way back in the early 60's just before a certain Mr Clough arrived.Despite the club floundering in the lower reaches of division 2,it did not and has not ever occurred to me to support any other club.
    Football and Derby County FC has always been a part of my life,like a cup of tea,and despite some huge glories and huge disappointments I feel my life would be impoverished without it.

The ones I feel sorry for are those that can not understand the anticipation,the passion,the drama,the excitement,they really do miss out.COYR

Tell me about it! The depression about missing the Sheff United match on Saturday (and the games that follow 😢) is starting to kick in.

I actually asked my Gran to buy me a season ticket on her credit card yesterday! :evil: , I said I'd pay her back as soon as I find work, which I would've! She found it hilarious, so I chuckled along! But I was serious! It was her birthday too!

I'm finding it hard to talk about something that I dont feel part of. I have to express my supreme respect for the ex-pats that live abroad and love The Rams, cos I'm only gonna miss one home-game and I'm cracking up! :(
    Loughborough Ram

Post by Loughborough Ram on Tue 08 Sep 2009, 4:04 pm

Don't worry Mostyn, you normally watch the match facing the wrong way anyway so it's not like you are missing anything. :D

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:48 am