COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Share
    avatar
    wilmortonRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    First ever game : v Barnsley - W 4-1
    Number of posts : 4335
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4245
    Age : 30
    Location : wilmorton

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by wilmortonRAM on Thu 12 Mar 2009, 10:46 am

    Watched X - men the last stand on tv last night. Its actually quite good, you cant beat the comic book films :lol!:
    avatar
    JoetheRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Leeds United 3-3, 1996
    Number of posts : 5404
    Registration date : 2009-02-15
    Points : 5519
    Age : 25

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by JoetheRam on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 12:25 pm

    I-robot.

    Seen it about 30 times now - good film. Will Smith is one of my favourite actors too.

    8/10

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 8:44 pm

    Watchmen.

    Not as bad as it could have been but still fairly poor, certainly nowhere near it's source material. Synder's direction means the film never comes to life the way it should - he hasn't adapted the film as much as replicated it, which was a mistake on his part. The acting is almost uniformly bad - only Rorshach and The Comedian are convincing - with Silk Spectre II being particularly bad. The use of music is very good, particularly 'The Times They Are A-Changing' over the title credits, which are a wonderfully judged montage and the highlight of the film. Despite the special effects and cinematography being excellent though, the film as a whole is rather soulless, confirming Alan Moore's fears over the project as a whole.

    I'll generously give it a 6, though I suspect on a re-watch that would drop.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sat 14 Mar 2009, 11:54 pm

    Ghost Rider - total pants 5/10

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 9:28 am

    GRAN TORINO

    Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this film, which is about a grumpy, racist war veteran coming to terms with the loss of his wife and having to live in a 'mong' neighbourhood (not mong as in double decker foreheards - mong as in people from laos/thailand/burma etc)

    One of his neighbours gets involved in a local gang and his initiation is to steal Eastwoods 1972 Ford Gran Torino. Eastwood catches him in the act and the film develops around Eastwoods relationship with the family next door and his wars against the local gangs.

    It is a TERRIFIC film. I was expecting a 'Dirty Harry' type movie but this was far from the case. Dont get me wrong, Eastwoods character is as hard as nails, but it isnt a shoot em up at all - its funny in places, the story is well written and there is a fantastic ending that i wasnt expecting at all.

    8/10 from me - definately worth going to see....Eastwood is just brilliant!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 9:34 am

    Watchmen
    Unlike Yojimbo I went in without reading the original graphic novel, so was unsure what to expect. I think that perhaps worked in my favour as I thought the film was brilliant. Without the novel to compare it to I think it stood out as a brilliant film. The references to midnight, special effects and watches, I just thought it was an all-round class film.
    10/10.

    Some trivia for you all, Watchmen was originally written by the voice of Solid Snake himself (from Metal Gear Solid), David Hayter

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 2:28 pm

    You could say Watchmen was 'unfilmable' and I understand Alan Moore taking his name off it particularly after the embarrassing efforts of V for Vendetta and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Snyder's effort, was the best possible although it is difficult to do justice to such a superb graphic novel which I had read before seeing the film.

    I think the film is on a par with The Dark Knight, if not a better film than that. It puts to shame the over-rated other Marvel films such as Spiderman, X-Men, The Hulk and Fantastic Four. Films with huge budget but with institutions arrogant enough to use good comics to make millions of dollars in the first weekend of release without much real effort.

    Watchmen defies this and I think a top-notch film has been made.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 5:13 pm

    MadRamJoe wrote:You could say Watchmen was 'unfilmable' and I understand Alan Moore taking his name off it particularly after the embarrassing efforts of V for Vendetta and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Snyder's effort, was the best possible although it is difficult to do justice to such a superb graphic novel which I had read before seeing the film.

    I think the film is on a par with The Dark Knight, if not a better film than that. It puts to shame the over-rated other Marvel films such as Spiderman, X-Men, The Hulk and Fantastic Four. Films with huge budget but with institutions arrogant enough to use good comics to make millions of dollars in the first weekend of release without much real effort.

    Watchmen defies this and I think a top-notch film has been made.

    V for Vendetta is a good film. Frankly I couldn't care less about how close it is to the comic - I don't read them - but it works as a film. So do the X-men films. They ought to be judged on how they work as films, not how close they are to the source material.

    That said, there's not a cat-in-hell's chance of me going to see Watchmen.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 5:23 pm

    Gresleyram wrote:GRAN TORINO

    Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this film, which is about a grumpy, racist war veteran coming to terms with the loss of his wife and having to live in a 'mong' neighbourhood (not mong as in double decker foreheards - mong as in people from laos/thailand/burma etc)

    One of his neighbours gets involved in a local gang and his initiation is to steal Eastwoods 1972 Ford Gran Torino. Eastwood catches him in the act and the film develops around Eastwoods relationship with the family next door and his wars against the local gangs.

    It is a TERRIFIC film. I was expecting a 'Dirty Harry' type movie but this was far from the case. Dont get me wrong, Eastwoods character is as hard as nails, but it isnt a shoot em up at all - its funny in places, the story is well written and there is a fantastic ending that i wasnt expecting at all.

    8/10 from me - definately worth going to see....Eastwood is just brilliant!

    I quite liked it, though a couple of things irritated me:

    The nasty old man, hatred of the neighbours thing is a bit overdone (and we let him off because it's Clint, though anyone else would get a right slagging for that performance)

    The kid's acting grated a little. I don't think he's very good.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 5:23 pm

    I think it's on par with The Dark Knight too, however, The Dark Knight is similarly flawed and overrated, though in TDK's case it's largely down to the script, which I thought was actually OK with the Watchmen.

    V for Vendetta worked as a film because it stayed true to the spirit of the book without compromising the fact that a FILM was being made and not simply a live action run-through of the comic, which is something Snyder, who is an incredibly limited director, doesn't have the ability to do.

    It's difficult to compare Watchmen to the majority of comic book films as they have a different audience - Spiderman, Hulk, Fanastic Four etc. are based on characters created at a time when comic books were primarily a teenagers interest - Watchmen was written in the 80s when what the medium had evolved (along with it's customers, as video games have) and was tackling stories from a more adult perspective - the fact it's rated 18 and released in the traditional dry spell of March shows that the producers never saw the film as a blockbuster - and is more of a cerebral story than the 'pow', 'splaaat' tradition of Spiderman.

    I disagree that Watchmen is a top notch film because whilst the style of the comic book has been well recreated, the heart and soul haven't and in the end it feels empty and doesn't have the sense of fun of, say X-Men has. I'd argue the only reason that Watchmen has been made is because Batman Begins was such a success - it showed that audiences are ready for darker superhero films. But whereas Batman is an established character with multiple origins and histories to furrow for ideas, Watchmen is very much a self contained world and Snyder only had one thing to work with and he didn't, I believe, manage to do it.

    Incidentally, Batman Begins is the only superhero film I believe works as both entertainment AND a quality piece of filmmaking.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Mon 16 Mar 2009, 8:47 pm

    PragueAndy wrote:
    Gresleyram wrote:GRAN TORINO

    Clint Eastwood directs and stars in this film, which is about a grumpy, racist war veteran coming to terms with the loss of his wife and having to live in a 'mong' neighbourhood (not mong as in double decker foreheards - mong as in people from laos/thailand/burma etc)

    One of his neighbours gets involved in a local gang and his initiation is to steal Eastwoods 1972 Ford Gran Torino. Eastwood catches him in the act and the film develops around Eastwoods relationship with the family next door and his wars against the local gangs.

    It is a TERRIFIC film. I was expecting a 'Dirty Harry' type movie but this was far from the case. Dont get me wrong, Eastwoods character is as hard as nails, but it isnt a shoot em up at all - its funny in places, the story is well written and there is a fantastic ending that i wasnt expecting at all.

    8/10 from me - definately worth going to see....Eastwood is just brilliant!

    I quite liked it, though a couple of things irritated me:

    The nasty old man, hatred of the neighbours thing is a bit overdone (and we let him off because it's Clint, though anyone else would get a right slagging for that performance)

    The kid's acting grated a little. I don't think he's very good.

    I agree with that mate - but because it was Clint i found it funny. The boys acting was poor (i'm sure he was the little terrorist lad in Good Morning Vietnam) as was much of the 'mong' characters acting.

    didnt stop me enjoying it though :D
    avatar
    wilmortonRAM

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1994
    First ever game : v Barnsley - W 4-1
    Number of posts : 4335
    Registration date : 2009-02-25
    Points : 4245
    Age : 30
    Location : wilmorton

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by wilmortonRAM on Tue 17 Mar 2009, 4:30 pm

    The Departed - 10/10

    Second watch for me, a superb film with big names and gripping storyline.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Tue 17 Mar 2009, 6:40 pm

    Burn After Reading

    Starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovic etc etc

    Should be called Burn Before watching - total bollox

    4/10
    avatar
    JoetheRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Leeds United 3-3, 1996
    Number of posts : 5404
    Registration date : 2009-02-15
    Points : 5519
    Age : 25

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by JoetheRam on Tue 17 Mar 2009, 8:01 pm

    Gresleyram wrote:Burn After Reading

    Starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovic etc etc

    Should be called Burn Before watching - total bollox

    4/10

    I quite liked it! OK IMO - 6/10

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sat 21 Mar 2009, 10:33 pm

    A Room For Romeo Brass

    Shane Meadows genius in effect - quality film! Paddy Considine is once again awesome and the performances by the young lads are hilarious.

    well worth a watch.

    7/10

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14642
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 16100

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by chicken on Sun 22 Mar 2009, 12:09 am

    I Am Legend

    Usually a fan of Will Smith, but this film is sooo monotonous.

    5/10

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sun 22 Mar 2009, 12:12 am

    chicken wrote:I Am Legend

    Usually a fan of Will Smith, but this film is sooo monotonous.

    5/10

    The book is 300% better
    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27844
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by New England Ram on Sun 22 Mar 2009, 4:06 am

    Just watched Watchmen with my lad.
    Have to say i went because there was nowt else on but really enjoyed it.
    9/10



    avatar
    New England Ram
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Bury away 1968
    Number of posts : 23217
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 27844
    Age : 58
    Location : Boston USA

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by New England Ram on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 5:55 am

    Miracle at St. Anna by Spike Lee.
    Set in Italy World war 2.
    Really really enjoyed it 9/10.



    avatar
    JoetheRam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Leeds United 3-3, 1996
    Number of posts : 5404
    Registration date : 2009-02-15
    Points : 5519
    Age : 25

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by JoetheRam on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 10:37 am

    The Damned United

    Not everyones cuppa I don't think but I found it interesting, informative and entertaining and if 'kinprat doesn't like it all the better - 9/10
    avatar
    Li 150
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 17391
    Age : 28
    Location : Germany

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Li 150 on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 7:21 pm

    New England Ram wrote:Just watched Watchmen with my lad.
    Have to say i went because there was nowt else on but really enjoyed it.
    9/10

    Just realised what film that is, I must go & see that one, the directors style I think is bril he seems to capture the feeling of a comic on film, plus the girl in the yellow & black suit is hot.

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 7:24 pm

    Rambo - the new one!!

    Storyline - 2/10
    Acting - 1/10
    blood-thirsty-gory-killing-mental-frenzyness - 9/10
    Overall 6/10 maybe 7 if you appreciate lots of blood!

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

    Just watched Iron Man. Quite liked it until it got to the fighty ending.

    And had to wait nearly 2 hours for Black Sabbath. Unforgivable.

    5/10

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 8:21 pm

    PragueAndy wrote:Just watched Iron Man. Quite liked it until it got to the fighty ending.

    And had to wait nearly 2 hours for Black Sabbath. Unforgivable.

    5/10

    i quite enjoyed that mate - probably a 6 from me! :)

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Guest on Sun 29 Mar 2009, 10:56 pm

    Wanted.

    James MacAvoy, Angelina Jolie as assassins.

    Unmitigated toss. 2/10

    Sponsored content

    Re: Rate The Last Film You Saw

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu 19 Apr 2018, 8:26 pm