COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

a friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life


    Tips for writing good posts

    Share
    avatar
    Li 150
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 17391
    Age : 28
    Location : Germany

    Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Li 150 on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 7:54 pm

    # Prepositions are not the words to end sentences with.
    # And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
    # Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat!)
    # Be more or less specific in your discussion.
    # Words in parenthesis (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
    # No sentence fragments.
    # It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
    # Also, always avoid annoying alliteration. I, myself, personally always do!
    # Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
    # Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
    # Foreign words and phrases are not apropos unless everyone is au fait with them.
    # Comparisons are as bad as clichés.
    # Don't use no double negatives.
    # Any certainly don't never use no triple negatives.
    # Eliminate ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
    # One-word sentences? Never!
    # Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
    # The passive voice should be ignored.
    # Eliminate commas, that are, generally, unnecessary.
    # Never use a long word when a diminutive one would suffice.
    # You must remove unnecessary exclamation points!!!
    # Understatement is absolutely the best way to put forward earth shattering ideas.
    # Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
    # Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed.
    # As Winston Churchill always used to say, "Eliminate quotations. I hate quotations."
    # If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
    # Proofread carefully to see if you have any words out.
    # Also, make shore ewe run the text threw the chequer.
    # Even if you like mixed metaphors, that's not the name of the ball you're in.
    # Who needs rhetorical questions?



    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12079
    Age : 49
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 7:57 pm

    CAn you please translate this into normal language for us all

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Guest on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 7:59 pm

    As Churchill once said: 'Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put.'
    avatar
    Bedlam

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18
    Points : 7505
    Age : 55
    Location : Krakatoa, East of Java

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Bedlam on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

    Li 150 wrote:# Prepositions are not the words to end sentences with.
    # And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
    # Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat!)
    # Be more or less specific in your discussion.
    # Words in parenthesis (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary.
    # No sentence fragments.
    # It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
    # Also, always avoid annoying alliteration. I, myself, personally always do!
    # Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies.
    # Contractions aren't necessary and shouldn't be used.
    # Foreign words and phrases are not apropos unless everyone is au fait with them.
    # Comparisons are as bad as clichés.
    # Don't use no double negatives.
    # Any certainly don't never use no triple negatives.
    # Eliminate ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
    # One-word sentences? Never!
    # Analogies in writing are like feathers on a snake.
    # The passive voice should be ignored.
    # Eliminate commas, that are, generally, unnecessary.
    # Never use a long word when a diminutive one would suffice.
    # You must remove unnecessary exclamation points!!!
    # Understatement is absolutely the best way to put forward earth shattering ideas.
    # Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.
    # Use the apostrophe in it's proper place and omit it when its not needed.
    # As Winston Churchill always used to say, "Eliminate quotations. I hate quotations."
    # If you've heard it once, you've heard it a thousand times: Resist hyperbole; not one writer in a million can use it correctly.
    # Proofread carefully to see if you have any words out.
    # Also, make shore ewe run the text threw the chequer.
    # Even if you like mixed metaphors, that's not the name of the ball you're in.
    # Who needs rhetorical questions?
    Oh very good how long did it take you to think up all of those??
    avatar
    RRC
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 15800
    Registration date : 2009-02-13
    Points : 19523

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by RRC on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:04 pm

    Do I think that copy and paste is the more likey source? Hmmm, I think I do.



    avatar
    Li 150
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 17391
    Age : 28
    Location : Germany

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Li 150 on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:12 pm

    The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.
    It took me about 48 secs to speed read it, assess it, copy it, open a new thread , paste it & finally send it.
    Which is pretty good going I'd say



    avatar
    Mucker1884

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10235
    Registration date : 2009-07-22
    Points : 11249
    Age : 54
    Location : Derby

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Mucker1884 on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:16 pm

    RRC wrote:Do I think that copy and paste is the more likey source? Hmmm, I think I do.

    Well, if you ask me, RRC.......The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.

    :whis:
    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12079
    Age : 49
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:18 pm

    Li 150 wrote:The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.
    It took me about 48 secs to speed read it, assess it, copy it, open a new thread , paste it & finally send it.
    Which is pretty good going I'd say

    I could have done it in 45 seconds :lol!:
    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12079
    Age : 49
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:19 pm

    Mucker1884 wrote:
    RRC wrote:Do I think that copy and paste is the more likey source? Hmmm, I think I do.

    Well, if you ask me, RRC.......The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.

    :whis:

    Then all you need to do is speed read it, assess it, copy it, open a new thread , paste it & finally send it. :whis:
    avatar
    Li 150
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 17391
    Age : 28
    Location : Germany

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Li 150 on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:21 pm

    ah, we're all feckin experts now, aren't we



    avatar
    Barnstaple Ram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10241
    Registration date : 2009-07-09
    Points : 12079
    Age : 49
    Location : In front of my computer

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Barnstaple Ram on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:23 pm

    Li 150 wrote:ah, we're all feckin experts now, aren't we

    Expert

    Ex - Past It
    Spert - Little Drip

    So we are all drips who are past it are we :lol!:
    avatar
    Li 150
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 17391
    Age : 28
    Location : Germany

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Li 150 on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:24 pm

    bout right there barney



    avatar
    robtheglostaram

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03
    Points : 12737
    Age : 31
    Location : Cambridge

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by robtheglostaram on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:42 pm

    I like this a lot :D

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Guest on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:52 pm

    That is funny

    Guest
    Guest

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Guest on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:58 pm

    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Li 150 wrote:The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.
    It took me about 48 secs to speed read it, assess it, copy it, open a new thread , paste it & finally send it.
    Which is pretty good going I'd say

    I could have done it in 45 seconds :lol!:

    We had heard, Barney! But didn't think it was polite to mention your little problem here :whis:

    chicken
    Admin

    Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14562
    Registration date : 2009-02-11
    Points : 15999

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by chicken on Fri 01 Jan 2010, 8:59 pm

    Mrs Bedlam wrote:
    Barnstaple Ram wrote:
    Li 150 wrote:The art is not to copy & paste but to know which things to copy & paste.
    It took me about 48 secs to speed read it, assess it, copy it, open a new thread , paste it & finally send it.
    Which is pretty good going I'd say

    I could have done it in 45 seconds :lol!:

    We had heard, Barney! But didn't think it was polite to mention your little problem here :whis:

    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

    Sponsored content

    Re: Tips for writing good posts

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 6:50 am