Why so much filth?

Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Why so much filth?

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 6:26 pm

Let me first say that I am far from a prude but one thing has bothered me on this and other forums for number of months and that is the excessive use of swearing within posts

I have been known to use the odd expletive on here (mainly for emphasis) from time to time but try where possible to disguise the actual word by use of stars or a more accepted written form of the word

As a father of 2 children (under 12) I find that the use of the full word (sometimes even in capitals) to be both unnecessary and offensive to many. My 11 year old son often sits with me whilst I am on the forum as he likes to read what other supporters have to say about the Rams. I often have to quickly skip past posts so he doesn't see the words in their full glory. I also suspect that many other have their computer in a family room where children can read what is being said.

You must also remember that the members on this forum range from 14 up to 70 (possibly higher) and are a mixture of male and female , some of whom can find swearing offensive

To maintain this as the best of the Derby Forums about could I please request that members keep the use of swearing down to the minimum (mainly for emphasis) and if you feel the need to use it please try not to use the exact word in full so as not to cause any possible offense to others

Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Barney

JoetheRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Leeds United 3-3, 1996
    Number of posts : 5404
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Re: Why so much filth?

Post by JoetheRam on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 6:35 pm

Understood Barney, and I agree.

Sometimes things do get a bit out of hand (i'm as guilty as anyone), and i'll try and tone them down now it's been noted that there are minors in attendance.

Thumbs up
    Barnstaple Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1973
    First ever game : Too long ago to remember
    Number of posts : 10255
    Registration date : 2009-07-09

Post by Barnstaple Ram on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 6:37 pm

Thanks Joe
    As I said it isn't the odd use that gets me it is the constant (or unnecessary) use by some that I find excessive
    Mucker1884

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1975
    First ever game : Carlisle - '75 - last match - champs - Ley Stand
    Number of posts : 10290
    Registration date : 2009-07-22

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

Fair point, Barney.

I would guess that I'm as big a culprit as most, although I tend to use the **'s a lot, I'm sure I miss them out occasionally.

Having spent the last 20 years or so on a building site, I find it hard to mind my language at times, and Muckerette often gives me a jab!!

No excuse for it here though, as I rarely press send before checking my post.

No promises, other than that I will try.

The innocence of childhood is diminishing fast as it is....I would hate to be the cause of it diminishing even faster! Embarassed
    rjrules71

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4404
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

Well said that man 👏

Obviously this doesnt apply to me :harp:

To those who are guilty this is the smiley you need Sorry

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:20 pm

I haven't got a problem with that Barny. I haven't swore much on here, have checked back in case I had to aplogise because like most posters I do swear sometimes.
    Personally I don't mind reading it - it's a football forum after all and bad language is to be expected I think, but I can see your point when it comes to kids reading the content.

Saying that though - reading it on here is better than having it shouted around the kids within PP. That really hacks me off.

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:43 pm

I dont think there is a problem with swearing provided it is used in the right place at the right time. There is no problem with swearing at PP, but kids need to learn that it has to start and end at PP
    M.M

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Derby vs Hearts ages ago 4-4
    Number of posts : 3257
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by M.M on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

masoudakbari wrote:I dont think there is a problem with swearing provided it is used in the right place at the right time. There is no problem with swearing at PP, but kids need to learn that it has to start and end at PP

I believe thats where Barney is suggesting the problem lies, swearing just for the sake of swearing is pointless, and actually massively reduces the impact that swearing has when used in anger. (Further Reading: South Park episode "It Hits The Fan").

I'll admit that I probably swear too much - most likely due to living with a bunch of students my age, and having relatively little contact with Adults. I shall do my best to cut down Thumbs up

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:49 pm

I shall, but at pride park its a different matter..........
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 11586

Post by Loughborough Ram on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:49 pm

I try and use * in order to fill in when I use swear words, which is probably too often to be fair, and if I haven't then I apologise because in general I agree with Barneys point.

There is absolutely no need to spell out the complete word, for example "the F*rest manager B*lly Dav*es is a f*cking w*nky t*at" is completely clear............................and f*cking true by the way.

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:51 pm

:lol!:

im sure barney can use the filter anyway

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 7:55 pm

Heard and understood Barney... I try to use substitute words generally, but will try harder in future :)

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:03 pm

masoudakbari wrote:I dont think there is a problem with swearing provided it is used in the right place at the right time. There is no problem with swearing at PP, but kids need to learn that it has to start and end at PP
    My kids know to expect to hear swearing at PP,and that it has to stay there. It's a football match, it's going to happen and that's that. But, we don't sit in the SE corner, we sit in the NE corner, before that NS and when you have grown men screaming that the ref is a f*****g w****r in front of little un's, it does get a bit much sometimes. It's a question of choice. People either think of the people who sit around them and act accordingly, or aren't bothered who hears them and do it anyway, as is the case a lot of the time.
    I know that people swear out of frustration at matches, I've mumbled expletives under my breath loads of times but I wouldn't shout it if there are youngsters around me.

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14680
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:04 pm

I think the problem is when it's used on every one line post some posters make.
    robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by robtheglostaram on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:11 pm

I really haven't noticed too much at all, to be honest.
    Mucker1884

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:13 pm

That's the problem though, Masoud. That "right place, right time" is completely open to interpretation, and will almost certainly be different for different people.

masoudakbari wrote:I shall, but at pride park its a different matter..........

I agree that we all (?) expect it at the game......but that don't make it right.

I'm sure you'll agree that whilst none of us want to be dictated to, we can all try to do our best, and when all said and done, every little helps.

After spending the last 30 odd years in amongst my gobbier brethren, this is my first season where I am 100% responsible for the care of a young impressionable 4 year old whilst being at the match, and at times, I really struggle to rein in the the industrial language!

I would never dream of "saying something" to any swearers around us, but I warned the lad's parents what may happen. All I could do was move away from the more (traditionally) vociferous area of PPS, try my best to kerb my own language, and hope for the best.

I'm dreading the Fo**st game!! :lol!:

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:17 pm

Finally someone looking out for my poor innocent self!

In all seriousness, as much as it's rude and offensive, the overuse of swearing is just pointless because if you're going to swear in every post, what is the impact?

I tend to try not to swear but I think the occassional swear is okay as long as it is used appopriately and sparingly.
    Mucker1884

Post by Mucker1884 on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:22 pm

derbyginge wrote:Finally someone looking out for my poor innocent self!

In all seriousness, as much as it's rude and offensive, the overuse of swearing is just pointless because if you're going to swear in every post, what is the impact?

I tend to try not to swear but I think the occassional swear is okay as long as it is used appopriately and sparingly.

Not for you it ain't! Not until your next birthday at least!

Don't even give me the opportunity to clip you round the tabs....young man!!

:dc:
    :fht:
    Igor-is-god

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    Number of posts : 4025

Post by Igor-is-god on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:25 pm

To be honest I quite like swearing both in the written form and also verbally. I would always try and tone it down if I was with children but, well I always found it refreshing on here, we have been going a good while and this is the first complaint I can recall.

I promise to think before I curse but I'm not going to stop unless ordered to by the management. Football is an emotive subject and sometimes you just have to call a Fishcake a Fishcake.

Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:33 pm

I blame it all on Bill Grundy

Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Bedlam on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:39 pm

I blame it all on jesus
    Bedlam

First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly

Post by Bedlam on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:41 pm

I believe this thread is mistitled, is the objection to swearing or filth?
    Igor-is-god

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    Number of posts : 4025

Post by Igor-is-god on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:44 pm

Bedlam wrote:I believe this thread is mistitled, is the objection to swearing or filth?

I believe the author considers swearing to be filth.
    Bedlam

Post by Bedlam on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

but is it?

Post by Guest on Sun 24 Oct 2010, 8:52 pm

Mucker1884 wrote:

That's the problem though, Masoud. That "right place, right time" is completely open to interpretation, and will almost certainly be different for different people.

masoudakbari wrote:I shall, but at pride park its a different matter..........

I agree that we all (?) expect it at the game......but that don't make it right.

I'm sure you'll agree that whilst none of us want to be dictated to, we can all try to do our best, and when all said and done, every little helps.

After spending the last 30 odd years in amongst my gobbier brethren, this is my first season where I am 100% responsible for the care of a young impressionable 4 year old whilst being at the match, and at times, I really struggle to rein in the the industrial language!

I would never dream of "saying something" to any swearers around us, but I warned the lad's parents what may happen. All I could do was move away from the more (traditionally) vociferous area of PPS, try my best to kerb my own language, and hope for the best.

I'm dreading the Fo**st game!! :lol!:

An excellent post Mucker. You made the choice to try and curb it - hard I know - but well done you!

The f****t game is going to be tricky though but I shall be strong... :whis:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 21 Jul 2018, 8:54 am