WOW-if it's good enough for the Queen

robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Re: WOW-if it's good enough for the Queen

Post by robtheglostaram on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:33 pm

RRC wrote:I joined COYR because it's the best Rams forum, I shop online because it saves traipsing round town for the best deals, I have a mobile phone because it's handy for making calls when I'm out, I have satellite tv because it lets me watch more cricket, and so on.

If I want to talk to family and friends who are elsewhere, I can use phone, email, pen and paper.

I wish someone could explain what practical, useful things Facebook, Twitter etc. will do for me, because so far it looks like a waste of time.

It's probably better that you don't join then if you're expecting it to make you breakfast.
    Li 150
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 68
    First ever game : Hull City 2-2 28/08/68 Weds
    Number of posts : 14521
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by Li 150 on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:35 pm

RRC wrote:I joined COYR because it's the best Rams forum, I shop online because it saves traipsing round town for the best deals, I have a mobile phone because it's handy for making calls when I'm out, I have satellite tv because it lets me watch more cricket, and so on.

If I want to talk to family and friends who are elsewhere, I can use phone, email, pen and paper.

I wish someone could explain what practical, useful things Facebook, Twitter etc. will do for me, because so far it looks like a waste of time.

We now have a lot of younger members, not that technology is exclusive to those types, & the site should be making itself more accessible to more people, the simple truth is you don't have to join the facebook just like some don't like the chatbox but these things should be offered for those that would like to us them.

Bedlam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Bedlam on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:36 pm

robtheglostaram wrote:

It's probably better that you don't join then if you're expecting it to make you breakfast.

Will it fix my car and clean the house?
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:42 pm

robtheglostaram wrote:

So far I haven't heard anyone name any benefits or advantages that Facebook offers, so I'm not expecting anything from it.

It doesn't sound as though you can think of anything worth mentioning, Rob - am I wrong?

Bedlam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    First ever game : V Spurs away 1972 won 0-1 Gladys scored If I remember correctly
    Number of posts : 7332
    Registration date : 2009-02-18

Post by Bedlam on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:45 pm

I think Lawyers are big fans of Facebook.
    robtheglostaram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 13
    First ever game : Derby vs Man Utd
    Number of posts : 10806
    Registration date : 2009-05-03

Post by robtheglostaram on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:51 pm

RRC wrote:
    robtheglostaram wrote:

So far I haven't heard anyone name any benefits or advantages that Facebook offers, so I'm not expecting anything from it.

It doesn't sound as though you can think of anything worth mentioning, Rob - am I wrong?

If your social group uses it, then it makes communication a lot easier. You can send a message and include all of those who you wish to see it, so if you are organising a party or doing group work at Uni it is useful, for example.

I'm not saying it's good for everyone, but it is invaluable, as times, for me. If you ignore (block) all the tripe that can be on there it is relatively painless.

I don't go nuts with it like some people, so I don't know why I'm advocating it quite so much but I do find it rather useful.
    RRC
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    Number of posts : 16339
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by RRC on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 5:58 pm

robtheglostaram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    robtheglostaram wrote:

If your social group uses it, then it makes communication a lot easier. You can send a message and include all of those who you wish to see it, so if you are organising a party or doing group work at Uni it is useful, for example.

I'm not saying it's good for everyone, but it is invaluable, as times, for me. If you ignore (block) all the tripe that can be on there it is relatively painless.

I don't go nuts with it like some people, so I don't know why I'm advocating it quite so much but I do find it rather useful.
    Didn't mean to get at you, Rob - I realize that you're not promoting Facebook.

Email group messaging (send to all - reply to all) is fine for organizing stuff.

Can you have LIVE discussions on Facebook like chatrooms or group phone-ins?

JoetheRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1992
    First ever game : Leeds United 3-3, 1996
    Number of posts : 5404
    Registration date : 2009-02-15

Post by JoetheRam on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 6:08 pm

RRC wrote:
    robtheglostaram wrote:
    RRC wrote:
    robtheglostaram wrote:

Didn't mean to get at you, Rob - I realize that you're not promoting Facebook.

Email group messaging (send to all - reply to all) is fine for organizing stuff.

Can you have LIVE discussions on Facebook like chatroom
    s or group phone-ins?

Yes but the Chatbox is more betterer.

AlvoRAM

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 95
    First ever game : Barnsley 95
    Number of posts : 6285
    Registration date : 2010-03-24

Post by AlvoRAM on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 8:03 pm

Wow, so if I press like in the facebook box on the right whilst reading a thread, it posts a link to that thread on my facebook page.... MINT, I LOVE IT...
    darthdmun

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 79
    Number of posts : 1935
    Registration date : 2009-03-02

Post by darthdmun on Sun 07 Nov 2010, 8:35 pm

so the thing with facebook then is, you can contact people you have not seen for years?? why would i want to do that? i have avoided seeing them, or making contact with them. so dont see why i would want to join a social gossip hub. its just another clearing house for infomation against you that the government has quick access to. and as for twitter, cant really see the point in that either.
    i have nothing against you putting facebook or twitter on here, as long as I dont have to sign up for either one of them to continue to access this forum, or any of my post get included in them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 19 Nov 2018, 2:17 pm