COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

A friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

EFL Championship table

Fun Trivia Daily Quiz

Search Come On You Rams

spyglass Search Come On You Rams

About time too

DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1214
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

About time too Empty About time too

Post by DavesaRam Fri 02 Apr 2021, 9:29 pm

Well that was a great result - I was expecting us to reverse into a 1 - 0 defeat, so I'm glad I was wrong.

We started fairly brightly, but almost straight away Luton, with nothing to play for, revealed their sly side. Graham Shinnie gave a footballing "Glasgow kiss" early on for which the ref gave a free-kick, which may have been fair. But immediately their captain, Rae was straight at the ref wanting a booking, and was chelping away. I didn't actually see money change hands, but Rae's ear-bashing seemed to work, because apart from the penalty, the ref gave us almost nothing. The assistants weren't much cop either, and neither was the 4th official. I saw the Twitter video of the Byrne affair and there wasn't just one red card offence - there were two. Byrne was thrown to the floor with a two-handed push to the face. That in itself is a red card, but then there was a deliberately aimed kick towards the face, so another  red card, possibly involving two players. And there was a succession of bizarre decisions - Gregory hauled backwards when trying to jump for a header, right in front of the ref, the ball hits the ref during a Derby attacking move, so he gives a free-kick/dropped ball to Luton, CKR fouled near the corner flag, free-kick to Luton. And the whimped-out red card incident. Very poor. Not appallingly bad as we normally see, just poor and pretty one sided.

Getting back on to the front foot, it was refreshing to see Derby playing on the front foot. Surprisingly it works loads better than being on the back foot! It was also good to see Waghorn making a number of good contributions - he played well today. I for one had hoped that we had seen the last of him when he was left out of the team, but well done to the man! And well done to Sibbo - he was a real threat on the right wing, and seemed to have the freedom to move inside from time to time. And Tom - was back towards the Tom we want. He still ran into defenders a couple of times, but at least he was trying to force things to happen. And yes he missed some chance, although the header he was supposed to have put away - actually it was really good defending which put him off-balance ever so slightly so that he couldn't get a good enough direction change on the ball. But he was there in the right place, and was a threat.

Whether it was Luton changing tactics or not, but it seems Derby started to try and hold out for half-time for the last 10 minutes of the first half, but thankfully didn't carry it on into the second half.

Given we had no idea how this match would go, it was satisfying to see what we took out onto the pitch today and that we went at Luton form the start. There was also a degree of passion there - several players had a go at the match officials - Tom Lawrence was clearly giving the ref a reprimand, as did Byrne, which was a risk as he was already on a yellow. Was the Colin Kazim-Richards incident a carrying on of the passion against the officials for those bizarre decision which always seemed to go in Luton's favour. Dunno, but things seemed to matter to us today, and long may it continue.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 17193
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

About time too Empty Re: About time too

Post by MadAmster Fri 02 Apr 2021, 9:56 pm

Two possible headers fro Tom L. Not his bag and I don't expect him to win those kinds of balls. Would be nice if he did now and again though.

Crap ref as already reported by Dave.

Reasons to be cheerful again. Nice fast feet from Lawro for the penalty. A decent Sibs gme spoiled by yet nother unnecessary yellow card. Byrne my MOTM.

We are stayin' up, say we are stayin' up.
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 6038
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam Sun 04 Apr 2021, 10:00 am

https://twitter.com/i/status/1378006828211048448

How is that not a red card? A double assault, such poor, poor officiating.

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6582
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram Sun 04 Apr 2021, 10:31 am

Spotted Cristiano Ronaldo's personal fitness coach on twatter following that link, Sir Sawley.

Clearly taught him everything he knows....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1378277782736764928
    Jackal
    Jackal

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1982
    First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 1273
    Registration date : 2014-09-08

Post by Jackal Sun 04 Apr 2021, 12:38 pm

SawleyRam wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1378006828211048448

Can the Football League take retrospective action, seeing as the referee decided to award a free kick the other way?
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Post by SawleyRam Sun 04 Apr 2021, 2:39 pm

Jackal wrote:
    SawleyRam wrote:https://twitter.com/i/status/1378006828211048448

Can the Football League take retrospective action, seeing as the referee decided to award a free kick the other way?

No, the ref booked the lad so the EFL cannot now interfere with retrospective action.

SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Post by SawleyRam Sun 04 Apr 2021, 2:50 pm

Stockport Ram wrote:Spotted Cristiano Ronaldo's personal fitness coach on twatter following that link, Sir Sawley.

Clearly taught him everything he knows....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1378277782736764928

LOL roll

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 14 Apr 2021, 1:57 pm