COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

A friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

EFL Championship table

Fun Trivia Daily Quiz

Search Come On You Rams

spyglass Search Come On You Rams

Oooooohhhhhh So Close

DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1223
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Oooooohhhhhh So Close Empty Oooooohhhhhh So Close

Post by DavesaRam Sat 10 Apr 2021, 11:00 pm

Well that really got my goat! Derby County you absolutely screwed me today with that performance! I had you down for a 0 - 4 beating!  It cost me my Soccer 6! I had expected to watch a bloodbath, but in reality it was a bit of a graze on the shin! We gave the best team in the division a really good game today.

I am also impressed that they have shaken off the Alex Neill effect - his teams are built on the premise of kicking anything that moves. And if it doesn't move, kick it until it moves, then kick it! Apart from there being a few fouls here and there, Norwich weren't a dirty team. Instead they are very sly. I am surprised that they didn't give the ref and one of his lino's a team shirt, though. Norwich only had to frown and it was a free-kick, and if they shouted a bit and there was a booking as well. 3 Derby players booked in the first 20 minutes, and only one of those was for a foul. Fozzy barely skimmed his hand across the Norwich guy's back and he went down like he'd been hit by a bazooka. It wasn't a foul, it wasn't a free-kick and it wasn't a yellow card. And it wasn't the time for Marshall to stand at the side of his goal admiring the view. Dowell couldn't miss even if he was Waghorn.

In the end, Norwich didn't win that match, we lost it. And here's the reason. We are crying out for the team to take that second half performance into the next game. But we lost today's match simply because we didn't play like that in the first half. It is the same old, same old - faff and fart about for the first half, until we have gone behind, then pull a performance out of the bag from just after it is too late to make a difference. And it is the same old story - we know that pressing and attacking cause the opposition trouble, but simply don't bother with it until we are losing.

Question: How many times has this happened?

Answer: Too.                     Think about it!

MacDonell played well once he realised that he was being targeted early on with balls  into the cannel behind him, and adapted well, ending the match with a bagful of brownie points. Well done! Bird has moved back towards his better self, but still overhits his final pass too often. And there weren't three good chances we threw away - Bird had a sitter which he blasted into mid-Chaddesden as well. We could even possibly have won that match by as much as 3 - 1. This was against the league leaders, the best team in the EFL, who actually should consider moving to London because they are a right bunch of Southern softies!

In the end, all we need to do is press the opposition and attack them from minute number 1, not minute number 57. We still have a chance to survive. COME ON YOU RAMS.
    mcsilks
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 796
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Oooooohhhhhh So Close Empty Re: Oooooohhhhhh So Close

Post by mcsilks Sun 11 Apr 2021, 12:45 am

DavesaRam wrote:
    In the end, Norwich didn't win that match, we lost it. And here's the reason. We are crying out for the team to take that second half performance into the next game.

No bias here then Dave...

Derby may have had more possession in the second half, but they didn't really create a single clear cut chance.

Norwich may be winning most games, but most sides create chances against them. We didn't and we don't against other sides. That is our achilles heel.

We are devoid of quality, and I am not going to praise DCFC for giving another side a decent game of football when playing on our own patch, particularly when we never looked like scoring.

Norwich deserved to win, as they produced moments of quality and scored a goal. We did neither.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 17258
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster Sun 11 Apr 2021, 8:34 am

As ever, with DCFC, there are more questions than answers.

Very early doors, a free kick to them in the South West corner against Joz. Never a foul. Why was it given? Cos we are Derby can be the only explanation as it happens week after week.

We were less than average 1st half. Gave them most of the pitch and relied on our 2 banks of 4 to nullify them. It might have worked had our players not conspired to give the ball back to Norwich at the first opportunity following us having the temerity to take it off them in the first place.

Why do we always get refs who seem to favour our opponents?

Why does Rooney set up wrongly every game and then get it right when he rings the changes only to repeat the error next game? I have lost track of the number of times this season I've screamed for us to press and harry the oppo like they do to us. It aint bloody rocket science.

It was odds on that Dowell would score and he did. Great free kick BUT...... why did only Mengi, of the 4 players in the wall, jump? Minutes earlier, Dowell hit a free kick from almost the same position just wide, a more than decent sighter. The wall should have jumped and Marshall was, IMO, too far to his right for the kick, especially taking KD's sighter into account.

The ref appeared biased towards Norwich, didn't he?

McDonald had a good game, the ref didn't.

Fozzy made too many mistakes. Is he planning on becoming a ref when he stops playing?

Bird made a lot of good interventions but countered that with too many under-, over- hit passes plus quite a few wayward ones.

CKR fouled opponents way too often but not as often as he was penalised for "infringements". I am also getting annoyed with the number of times he is pulled up for offside in a game.

Joz seemed to be fighting the ball a lot when he got it and, on the few occasions he did get it under control, he was surround by 3 or 4 opponents and had no outlet.

Lawro put in some sterling defensive work. Less effective going forward.

Why do we keep getting incompetent refs?

Roberts. Why?

Did I mention the ref was crap?

Derby fans could be forgiven for theorising that there is an EFL conspiracy against us based on the apparent bias and lack of quality the refs show in our games.

The stats are surprising, IMO, it seems we had 39% of the ball  but managed 11 shots to their 13 and 3 on target to their 4. In reality neither side looked all that dangerous  and 0-0 might have been a better reflection of the game.

One last question. How long will it take for Rooney to realise that we have to get on the front foot from the off? That we have to harry and press opponents like they do to us. It's damned frustrating, I'm not the only one on here who asks this question and it's amazing that nobody at the club, apparently, sees what the problem is.

Here's another. We keep utilising "inverted wingers". The oppo KNOW they are ging to cut inside making them easier to "control". Inverted wingers is a good tactic but I'd like to see them swapping wings regularly throughout the game. It stops the full backs getting used to one play(er) and gives us the opportunity to put crosses into the box. Having said that, every one yesterday, be that from open play or dead ball situations, was overhit, underhit or put into areas where we had no players.........
    SawleyRam
    SawleyRam
    Admin

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1954
    First ever game : 1956
    Number of posts : 6063
    Registration date : 2011-01-11

Post by SawleyRam Sun 11 Apr 2021, 11:20 am

Our failure to take anything out of yesterday's game has been the reason we find ourselves in a battle against relegation in the first place... lack of a natural goal scorer.

The opportunities that were created and spurned was by indecision and/or lack of pace. If we are in the Championship next year that is a problem Wayne must aim to solve. We can't say injuries were to blame either because of that list there is no natural goal scorer in it.

It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing.
    newleaf
    newleaf

First ever game : Kevin Hectors debut game at home 24 sept 1966
    Number of posts : 95
    Registration date : 2020-11-30

Post by newleaf Sun 11 Apr 2021, 12:05 pm

To be honest I thought we played well yesterday.

To lose by a brilliant free kick was harsh but I suppose we did that to them at Carrow Road

Need to take our chances in next 5 games that’s for sure
    DavesaRam
    DavesaRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1968
    First ever game : Derby 5 Spurs 0
    Number of posts : 1223
    Registration date : 2011-10-15

Post by DavesaRam Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:34 pm

McSilks:

There is a bias. I’m a Ram!

Fact is we did have some good opportunities, eg Shinnie’s chance near then end - it wasn’t an open goal but he had a clear site of goal with no defender challenging, Sibley carved an opening for himself, Menghi was denied by a great save, and Bird had his chance, but like Shinnie he kindly donated the ball to someone in Chaddo!

We weren’t all over them, but we did have some chances.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Number of posts : 17258
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster Sun 11 Apr 2021, 1:38 pm

DavesaRam wrote:McSilks:

There is a bias. I’m a Ram!

Fact is we did have some good opportunities, eg Shinnie’s chance near then end - it wasn’t an open goal but he had a clear site of goal with no defender challenging, Sibley carved an opening for himself, Menghi was denied by a great save, and Bird had his chance, but like Shinnie he kindly donated the ball to someone in Chaddo!

We weren’t all over them, but we did have some chances.

.... and Roberts forced Krul into making a good save. CKR through and thwarted by Krul.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2784
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari Sun 11 Apr 2021, 7:20 pm

We need a natural goalscorer, that much is blatently obvious, we could do with Bielik back asap, and sort out the rest of the team from there!
    Bobbies Helmet
    Bobbies Helmet

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 652
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Post by Bobbies Helmet Sun 11 Apr 2021, 7:33 pm

valakari wrote:We need a natural goalscorer, that much is blatently obvious, we could do with Bielik back asap, and sort out the rest of the team from there!
    The answers at Sheffield Wednesday
    dcfcgaz
    dcfcgaz

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 1951
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

Post by dcfcgaz Mon 12 Apr 2021, 12:10 am

amster maybe the only thing Rooney will realise is that he don't want to be here much longer!
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4425
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram Mon 12 Apr 2021, 11:06 am

dcfcgaz wrote:amster maybe the only thing Rooney will realise is that he don't want to be here much longer!

Relegation certainly wouldn't look good on his CV. Shame he can no longer play. His goal scoring skills would come in handy in our run in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 13 May 2021, 12:52 pm