COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
COME ON YOU RAMS the Derby County fans forum

A friendly place to chat about Derby County, football and life

EFL Championship table

Fun Trivia Daily Quiz

Search Come On You Rams

spyglass Search Come On You Rams

Will we stay or will we go?

Bobbies Helmet
    Bobbies Helmet

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1884
    First ever game : Burnley away 1975
    Number of posts : 652
    Registration date : 2017-11-25

Will we stay or will we go? Empty Will we stay or will we go?

Post by Bobbies Helmet Mon 12 Apr 2021, 1:01 pm

With the relegation trapdoor sucking us in we have 5 games(3 away)to get safe, if we win the home games v Birmingham & Wednesday and hopefully a draw with Blackburn and Preston(away)will take the Rams to 51 points which should ensure championship safety. Any other results could hinge on a squeaky bum and relying on other teams failing so folks sit back and enjoy the last 5 games.
    mcsilks
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 796
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Will we stay or will we go? Empty Re: Will we stay or will we go?

Post by mcsilks Mon 12 Apr 2021, 1:20 pm

3 more points and we're almost certainly safe, 4 more and we're definitely there.

If we don't get that, we deserve to go down.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 0
    Number of posts : 17258
    Registration date : 2009-02-20

Post by MadAmster Mon 12 Apr 2021, 1:32 pm

If we go back to playing on the front foot from the off and pressing and harrying the oppo like we did during that decent run that saw us 2nd/3rd in the form table over 12 games or so, we'll be fine.

Keep backing off and giving the oppo all the time and room they want for the first hour will see us struggle.
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1961
    First ever game : Rams 1 Sunderland 1 Oct 1961
    Number of posts : 4425
    Registration date : 2010-10-05

Post by bramhallram Mon 12 Apr 2021, 4:36 pm

MadAmster wrote:If we go back to playing on the front foot from the off and pressing and harrying the oppo like we did during that decent run that saw us 2nd/3rd in the form table over 12 games or so, we'll be fine.

Keep backing off and giving the oppo all the time and room they want for the first hour will see us struggle.

Mad, you know it, I know it, even Mrs Scroggins the woman who cleans out the gents knows it. Unfortunately, the one person who clearly doesn't know it is our seriously under qualified young manager.

There can't be many boards of directors who would appoint a man with no previous experience to run their business. I just hope that  clucking noise isn't chickens coming home to roost....

Stockport Ram
    Stockport Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1971
    First ever game : Newcastle (h) Easter 1983 I think
    Number of posts : 6601
    Registration date : 2010-03-22

Post by Stockport Ram Tue 13 Apr 2021, 7:47 am

I'd be very surprised if 5 points isn't enough to keep us up. Especially if three of them come against Wednesday.
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Post by bramhallram Tue 13 Apr 2021, 6:46 pm

Unfortunately, to secure three more points means we need to score some goals. Our recent form doesn't inspire confidence that we can do that with the current group of players.

We're not at the stage where we need to start looking for directions to Fleetwood, but that will change if we lose our next two games.  

Bobbies Helmet
    Bobbies Helmet

Post by Bobbies Helmet Tue 13 Apr 2021, 7:24 pm

bramhallram wrote:Unfortunately, to secure three more points means we need to score some goals. Our recent form doesn't inspire confidence that we can do that with the current group of players.

We're not at the stage where we need to start looking for directions to Fleetwood, but that will change if we lose our next two games.  

Go to Blackpool and jump on the tram, me duck
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster Wed 14 Apr 2021, 12:55 pm

Rovrum beat QPR 3-1 last night. Just 4 points behind and 3 games in hand........
    CornwallRam
    CornwallRam

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1972
    Number of posts : 6828

Post by CornwallRam Wed 14 Apr 2021, 5:56 pm

We won't go down. We'll collect another couple of points and be safe before the Wednesday game. In fact I suspect that we'd stay up even without another point. Teams at the bottom never get many points - a 4 point cushion is pretty good at this stage of the season.

It's next season that worries me. We'll need ten new players if none are sold. Alonso might have some personal wealth or wealthy backers, or he might be hoping to raise cash by leveraging the club. The problem is that if that happens he won't be able to raise enough cash and we'll go down, and he'll walk away. Nothing is set in stone and all could be fine, but it's very easy to see this takeover going wrong.
    valakari
    valakari

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1967
    First ever game : 1972
    Number of posts : 2784
    Registration date : 2011-10-22

Post by valakari Wed 14 Apr 2021, 10:50 pm

Someone has to get points if they play each other eg Rotherham v Cov tomorrow night!
    dcfcgaz
    dcfcgaz

First ever game : First Game
    Number of posts : 1951
    Registration date : 2010-08-30

Post by dcfcgaz Thu 15 Apr 2021, 12:00 am

Hope we stay but Rooney goes, but more likely both go!
    mcsilks
    mcsilks

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1979
    First ever game : Early eighties, Sheff Utd in the Pop Side
    Number of posts : 796
    Registration date : 2016-08-14

Post by mcsilks Thu 15 Apr 2021, 4:05 am

I cannot believe all this nonsense about wanting Rooney out. Give the guy another season or two, let him have a chance to build his team, his playing style and more importantly, some stability regarding the management of the club.

Instability and instability cannot lead to success. Have you not learned anything from the last 10 years...

ToonRam likes this post

MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster Thu 15 Apr 2021, 7:16 am

mcsilks wrote:I cannot believe all this nonsense about wanting Rooney out. Give the guy another season or two, let him have a chance to build his team, his playing style and more importantly, some stability regarding the management of the club.

Instability and instability cannot lead to success. Have you not learned anything from the last 10 years...

Agree to an extent silky. However, the last time we had stability was when Nigel Clough got stuck in siege mentality and couldn't break the pattern. He had all the bits of the puzzle but couldn't get them in the right order.

We've seen two sides of Rooney thus far. First we saw the one that turned, or appeared to have done so, our season round playing off the front foot and doing well. Then the team stopped front footing and, as surely as the recovery was down to him and his staff, so is the downward spiral we are in since he stopped using the front foot tactics. Some may say, ah but yes, Bielik. I admit we miss the lad but the players we still have available CAN play off the front foot. They CAN press and harry. That they aren't is down to the way Rooney is setting them up to start the game. In this current poor run, once he rings the changes, albeit too late, we play well enough to indicate we'd at least have got a draw and possibly a win if only he'd started that way. Next game it's back to how we started the rpevious one when it should be how we'd finished it.

He put right what had been wrong and now he's made it wrong again. He needs to get back on the front foot in these last 5 games or we are down.

DavesaRam and ToonRam like this post

rjrules71
    rjrules71

First ever game : plymouth argyle 1964-65
    Number of posts : 4566
    Registration date : 2009-05-15

Post by rjrules71 Thu 15 Apr 2021, 7:52 pm

Circling the drain is nothing new at DCFC, personally I believe that these type of seasons tell you a great deal about the players and the supporters.
    Some players in a team will toughen as they realise they must give all and more just to escape the abyss.
    Others will disappear and fade away, I strongly believe this squad has all it needs to achieve the mid-table goal and with a new start in the offing for next year, with fresh owners, we should be able to aim higher, as EA put it "we want european football".
    Well I hope he is right, as the time is running out for me to see teams like Real Madrid gracing the turf at PP as they did at the BBG a consideration just as unlikely as playing at Fleetwood but as possible all the same.

Realistically we are tettering on the brink, but the lack of goals is the only problem, and we have given the likes of Norwich a good game to no avail, but n0 disgrace either.

I have always been a glass half full guy and I want to see us playing the best in the game again so I will say Thanks Mel and welcome Erik,onwards and upwards tally ho!

chicken
    Admin

First ever game : 1983 sometime!
    Number of posts : 14814
    Registration date : 2009-02-11

Post by chicken Thu 15 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

I really fear for us. Can’t see where the next goal is coming from. I think we’ll be playing in League One next season. I really hope I’m wrong. However, on the bright side, it was brilliant in the 3rd division last time we were there. Had some great away days.

It kills me to say this but as a squad I do not believe we have the strength of character for a fight, nor the talent.
    MadAmster
    MadAmster

Post by MadAmster Fri 16 Apr 2021, 7:39 am

rjrules71 wrote:

I have always been a glass half full guy and I want to see us playing the best in the game again so I will say Thanks Mel and welcome Erik,onwards and upwards tally ho!

There are those who might say that we are already in the best League in the world..........
    Loughborough Ram
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 12251
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram Fri 16 Apr 2021, 7:50 am

I think it's an impossible job to predict whether we will stay up because we are capable of winning our last 5 games but we are equally capable of losing them.

If I had to put my life on the line I think we will have no problems, picking up 3 wins.
    bramhallram
    bramhallram

Post by bramhallram Fri 16 Apr 2021, 4:22 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:I think it's an impossible job to predict whether we will stay up because we are capable of winning our last 5 games but we are equally capable of losing them.

If I had to put my life on the line I think we will have no problems, picking up 3 wins.

I can't see where the goals are going to come from, but I'm willing to be surprised. One thing is for sure, the pressure's on big time tonight.

chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken Fri 16 Apr 2021, 9:01 pm

Not looking good, is it? I’m starting to worry now, we defend like school boys.
    Loughborough Ram
    Loughborough Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1970
    Number of posts : 12251
    Registration date : 2009-02-14

Post by Loughborough Ram Fri 16 Apr 2021, 9:31 pm

Stay strong Chicken, its not over till its over and it looks like this is going right to the wire
    Calif_Ramette
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 3101
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette Fri 16 Apr 2021, 10:45 pm

mcsilks wrote:I cannot believe all this nonsense about wanting Rooney out. Give the guy another season or two, let him have a chance to build his team, his playing style and more importantly, some stability regarding the management of the club.

He keeps chopping and changing the team and the tactics. That isn't helping at all. He needs to learn to not do that and take responsibility for that and he hasn't. We shouldn't have to hope a last minute decision to get a peno that will salvage a draw like today.
    Calif_Ramette
    Calif_Ramette

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 2005
    Number of posts : 3101
    Registration date : 2009-02-25

Post by Calif_Ramette Fri 16 Apr 2021, 10:46 pm

If the lads can't pick up 4 points to secure safety then we deserve to go down. Rooney doesn't seem to learn to stop picking different teams each game and he doesn't even have the badges he needs to manage on his own. If we go down he needs to go and we need to have a total clear out and rebuild.
    chicken
    Admin

Post by chicken Fri 16 Apr 2021, 11:42 pm

Loughborough Ram wrote:Stay strong Chicken, its not over till its over and it looks like this is going right to the wire

I’m trying to, honest I am. I’m struggling to see where the next win is coming from, it’s quite upsetting to be honest. The club has been in a mess for a while now and it reeks of what we went through in the 80s. My worry is, if we drop into League One, we’re never getting out of it.

Hopefully we get three points against Preston.

Maybe I’m just overreacting Dunno

Whatever happens, I’ve got my season ticket for next season!
    Bobbies Helmet
    Bobbies Helmet

Post by Bobbies Helmet Sat 17 Apr 2021, 12:15 pm

chicken wrote:
    Loughborough Ram wrote:Stay strong Chicken, its not over till its over and it looks like this is going right to the wire

I’m trying to, honest I am. I’m struggling to see where the next win is coming from, it’s quite upsetting to be honest. The club has been in a mess for a while now and it reeks of what we went through in the 80s. My worry is, if we drop into League One, we’re never getting out of it.

Hopefully we get three points against Preston.

Maybe I’m just overreacting Dunno

Whatever happens, I’ve got my season ticket for next season!
    Not over reacting, like with 90% of Rams fans can see the writings on the wall. If we don't win one of the next 2 games i can see Mr Alonso sneeking off in the sunset.
    Rowditch Ram
    Rowditch Ram

Rams Fan Since Rams Fan Since : 1976
    First ever game : Arsenal 1 Derby 3 1977
    Number of posts : 602
    Registration date : 2010-08-08

Post by Rowditch Ram Sat 17 Apr 2021, 2:13 pm

The really worrying thing about all this, is that everyone around us is fighting and getting unexpected results. As I write, although games have yet to end even the supposed 'gonners, Sheffield Wednesday and Wycombe are winning. Huddersfield are beating the scum (I can take that one) and Birmingham play Rotherham tomorrow (so one of those will get maximum points or 1 point each). Things are distinctly worrying. Things are in our own hands, but I don't see the luck or fighting spirit being with us.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 13 May 2021, 1:50 pm